• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your favorite 'obscure' character

RK9

Reaction score
We all have our favorite characters. And we all know the Cynthias, Stevens and Reds of this world. Characters that get more limelight and attention than other characters, be it through the anime, game or other pieces of media.

But today, right here, there is none of that! Who is (Or are) your favorite 'obscure' character(s) and why? Would you like to see more out of them and if so, what? Or who is a character you want to give a shout out that always gets overlooked or forgotten by people? This is the place to dedicate a shard of love to them.

For me, part of the fun of liking an obscure character is the slight ridiculousness of investing any interest at all in someone that I know is completely irrelevant, so I think personally I would find it counterintuitive to shine more of a light on them... although, I was always a big fan of Professor Burnet, and was elated to see her transplanted into the main series, so I guess there are contexts in which it can work.

Who are some others that I like? Hmm. I suppose I’ve always found it somewhat interesting to speculate about Anthea and Concordia’s role in Team Plasma. Why are they there? Ghetsis adopted them as he did N, but to what end? Why is Concordia the only member of the group to refer to N without the “Lord” honorific? What does that suggest about their relationship?

I think the Trick Master and Yancy/Curtis are also pretty memorable for their respective side-features. Tricksy’s dramatic attitude is funny and getting to know Y/C better over time was pretty endearing.

Charles the Heartbreaker is a fun one, too.

I like some random villainous team Grunts because of their funny or interesting dialogue. For example, one Plasma Grunt aboard the Plasma Frigate mentions he used to be in Teams Galactic. So we basically beat him as the Sinnoh protagonist, and then again as a Unova protagonist.

Professor Burnet is one of my favorite minor characters. She had such an interesting role in that AR game, which allowed a rather unique and organic way of introducing the T-Forms of the genies, including the near-game breaker Landorus-T. I was so happy that she got added to the main series, as she was one of the more unique professors and her role in the AR game merged perfectly with the Ultra Beast stuff. However, I didn't like her redesign in the Gen 7 games, as I liked her original design better, especially how tan she got. Don't get me wrong, she was still as good-looking as ever, but I liked her more non-tan and more futuristic look from the AR game better, as it fit her "field" better. But, overall, I feel that Professor Burnet is a very underrated character in the franchise so I'm glad GF brought her back in Alola.

Another two characters I find to be underrated are Mars and Saturn. Mars probably got the most attention of all the Galactic admin and actually made her more sympathetic at the end of the Heatran quest, while Saturn was highly underused and didn't get a lot of attention. Plus, I came to love Toxicroak over time thanks to him introducing it to me way back when. I also developed a small crush on Mars, though, obviously Cynthia took the title of Sinnoh waifu for me. I really like their Adventures counterparts, too, as they added a lot of fun and charm to Team Galactic's manga counterparts. The anime did do them justice, I will admit, giving them very interesting personalities, so that was refreshing. But, yeah, Mars and Saturn are some really underappreciated characters in the series. Hopefully the DP remakes will give those two some much-needed attention and characterization and not repeat the sins of the past for nostalgia's sake.

For me it's the Underground Man from the Sinnoh games - He gives me access to my favorite minigame in the series and is related to my favorite gen 4 gym leaders, :wynaut:?
Also, I may or may not have some really wack headcanons about him and the underground that veer into weird conspiracy theory territory, so...

Mr. Bonding from the gen 6 games sticks out to me too. His "origin story" in ORAS is ridiculous.

Dunsparce in Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity is a sweet baby that must be protected

"Ygh... I know... I really want to be the kind of Pokémon who does the rescuing, you know... But I'm not strong... And I get afraid...and then I always lose my nerve when the big moment arrives... I always mess up, and then I have to be the one who gets rescued in the end... I guess I'm just really not cut out to be an adventurer..."

"Yes! It's my dream to become a first-rate adventurer. It would be nice to explore all kinds of different places on adventures, of course... But really...I'd just like to help Pokémon around the world who are in trouble! I want to be able to give courage and hope to Pokémon that are suffering! I just want to be useful--even a little! ...Th-that's my dream anyway. But... There's a huge gap between dreams and reality...and no matter what I do, I can't..."

I'll help you be the best adventurer ever!! <3

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom