• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Journeys: Thoughts So Far

The thiing about Journeys is the fact that Grookey did not appear for 59 EPISODES and they are giving it to Goh and will probably do nothing interesting with it.
Yeah. It would be the first time in the anime's history that Ash goes without any of the current gen's starters.

I do miss when Pokémon Hunters were antagonists to be taken seriously and actually dangerous foes who weren’t above harming those who got in their way. The past few times they’ve appeared m, nothing about then even so much as screamed intimidating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jokes aside, I do miss when Pokémon Hunters were antagonists to be taken seriously and actually dangerous foes who weren’t above harming those who got in their way. The past few times they’ve appeared m, nothing about then even so much as screamed intimidating.
I remember how scared I was as a Kid whenever Hunter J appeared in an Episode. The Scene where her aircraft nosedives into the Lake Valor is still dark as hell.

Good times, the Anime is far past its peak.

TR is obsessed with Pikachu and has chased it for 20 years + they had ground types just demonstrated to be effective. Didn't seem out of character to me. Better the Pikachu inside than the Zapdos outside. Ash coming out, seeing Goh about to give up and telling him to keep going while staying out of that fight, completely fits the mentor characterization that Ash has had throughout the show.
The Ground types they used weren't effective. Rhydon was insanelly forgetfull, and almost hit Jessie by accident, and Stunfisk's attacks were short and very weak, they teamed up with Ash and Goh to mitigate these shortcomings.

"They were obsessed with Pikachu" Well, they were clearly obsessing over Zapdos, too.
Throughout the episode, TRio treated the idea of defeating Zapdos with excitment, as if it was a "golden opportunity" for them to get their hands on a legendary, James even said Zapdos won't get away as it fled to the roof and expressed a lot of, well, generall satisfaction with the idea of fighting, and potentially owning a Legendary Pokemon.

So why not capture Zapdos?
Many times throughout this series Team Rocket treated Pikachu as a mere bonus, oftentimes not even knowing they'll stumble upon Pikachu. Zapdos has stayed on the roof, and they were clearly expecting, or at least hoping that it would do that, they'd have Ash and Goh on their side for the battle...
And they are absolutelly capable of helping out Ash and Goh while forgetting Pikachu if nessecary, ex: Journeys episode 24

"Telling him to keep going" Ash being encouraging to Goh wasn't the issue, the issue was him choosing not to fight Zapdos in spite of the fact he was pushing throughout the entire episode he was going to fight it. He is absolutelly fine fighting it alongside Goh just minutes ago, and 6 episodes later with Mewtwo, or how about the Golurk episode, so what changed as soon as he got to the rooftop?
He read the script in between shots?

1614280239117.png

Side note: These are the faces of people that are about to give up on pursuing said legendary for no given reason.
1614280970347.png

1614281042289.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember how scared I was as a Kid whenever Hunter J appeared in an Episode. The Scene where her aircraft nosedives into the Lake Valor is still dark as hell.

Good times, the Anime is far past its peak.
Hell, numerous times in their encounters with her, Hunter J outright tried to kill Ash. It was refreshing having a villain who wasn’t messing around.

Yeah me too. It is my fav series alongside XY, I wish they were longer.

The thiing about Journeys is the fact that Grookey did not appear for 59 EPISODES and they are giving it to Goh and will probably do nothing interesting with it.
I agree it just adds salt in the wound.

DP had edgier episodes we've never got ever since unfortunately. XY came close sometimes but still not as dark.

Hunter J is the prime example here, her episodes are among my favorites from the entire franchise. Sadly her demise was anticlimactic though, imo, it could've been better written. Well, at least OLM had the guts to kill her off instead of just, Idk, arrest.

I truly miss those moments when the show didn't seem to be directed at kids.

Given Japan's aging population: I wonder how smart it is to actually focus directly on kids. DP was smart in that it was a kids show, but it was mature enough that teenagers and adults could watch it as well.

The Pokemon Anime's Layout itself fell down when BW start. It became more episodic. Even in XY & SM where you had these dramatic arcs for Satoshi, the series themselves mostly had episodic episodes. That is what made this Anime worst. The Pokemon Anime could only truly be called a "Long Running Anime Series" from OS-DP. From BW onwards it was its own thing. Which is why I always call OS-DP "Old Pokemon" and BW-JN "New Pokemon"... I prefer Old Pokemon over New Pokemon for sure.

DP had edgier episodes we've never got ever since unfortunately. XY came close sometimes but still not as dark.

Hunter J is the prime example here, her episodes are among my favorites from the entire franchise. Sadly her demise was anticlimactic though, imo, it could've been better written. Well, at least OLM had the guts to kill her off instead of just, Idk, arrest.

I truly miss those moments when the show didn't seem to be directed at kids.
Sadly they couldn't go the extra mile and invest themselves fully in it since it's a kids show and a lot of parents wouldn't be happy about that. I mean, dang, we saw Ash being the first and only person to physically attack a Pokémon, even if as self-defense. And she also wasn't alone in that ship, as she had her Pokémon and her crew with her. But in all honesty, she and ther whole team are dead to me. No way they survived that.

Sometimes I wonder what they could do if the series was just allowed to grow up...

what do you mean by this?
Per Wikipedia:
Japan has the highest proportion of elderly citizens of any country in the world.[1] The country is experiencing a "super-aging" society both in rural and urban areas.[2] According to 2014 estimates, 33.0% of the Japanese population is above the age of 60, 25.9% are aged 65 or above, and 12.5% are aged 75 or above.[3] People aged 65 and older in Japan make up a quarter of its total population, estimated to reach a third by 2050.[4]
[...]
This was followed by a prolonged period of low fertility, resulting in the aging population of Japan.[5] The dramatic aging of Japanese society as a result of sub-replacement fertility rates and high life expectancy is expected to continue. Japan's population began to decline in 2011.[6] In 2014, Japan's population was estimated at 127 million; this figure is expected to shrink to 107 million (16%) by 2040 and to 97 million (24%) by 2050 should the current demographic trend continue.[7]
1614305734524.png
(Japan - 2015)
1614306578002.png
(Japan - 2019 estimate)
1024px-USA2020dec1.png
(US - for comparison)
1614306513390.png
(Brazil - for comparison)
I'm assuming this is what they are referring to.

Last edited:
what do you mean by this?
Japan has an aging population and with Millenials/GenZs are deciding not to have kids, the already low population will decline significantly. This is a problem in a sense that it has heavy impact on things like the Animation Industry which is why several Productions of Anime (including Pokemon) have been outsourced to outside of Japan. Such as OLM (The Producers of the Pokemon Anime) recently opened up a Studio in Malaysia.

I’ve been trying really hard not to just give up on this series, but last night I had a dream truly expressing my subconscious feelings...

Don’t ask me how, but each Journey’s episode was an ICU patient, and the worse the episode the more intensive resuscitation it needed... (Some episodes were so bad they required referral to a tertiary centre for ECMO!) Suffice to say the unit was overflowing so much so that new ‘patients’ had to be admitted to make shift ICU areas in operating theatres and anaesthetic rooms...

I just felt SO EXHAUSTED in this dream :LOL::cry: Halp...

I’ve been trying really hard not to just give up on this series, but last night I had a dream truly expressing my subconscious feelings...

Don’t ask me how, but each Journey’s episode was an ICU patient, and the worse the episode the more intensive resuscitation it needed... (Some episodes were so bad they required referral to a tertiary centre for ECMO!) Suffice to say the unit was overflowing so much so that new ‘patients’ had to be admitted to make shift ICU areas in operating theatres and anaesthetic rooms...

I just felt SO EXHAUSTED in this dream :LOL::cry: Halp...
Is this series so bad?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom