• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN059: The Lost Sarunori! Who is the Trainer!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, what were the general criticisms of DP at the time?
As I'm rewatching it rn, I can tell: It's not like, super bad or anything, but it's just a little boring and a bit too slow because you don't really feel like a lot is happening. There's quite a lot of filler eps, and is sorta of weird to say, but it's like,,, the eps where there are development are strucutred in a way a bit too similar to the fillers. You don't really feel like the story is in traction yet, u know? I actually think the story only really started to get in motion once Ash defeats Gardenia, tbh.

It was a bit... boring? I think we all saw potential in stuff like Shinji, Hunter J .etc but on a week-by-week basis it didn't really hold up. Quite a lot of dull filler and even the plot stuff wasn't exactly enthralling. After the Tag Battle arc the Satoshi/Shinji rivalry really took off, the Ginga-dan subplot started in earnest, Hikari's Contest losing streak/development arc happened, even the quality of filler really ramped up.
As I'm rewatching it rn, I can tell: It's not like, super bad or anything, but it's just a little boring and a bit too slow because you don't really feel like a lot is happening. There's quite a lot of filler eps, and is sorta of weird to say, but it's like,,, the eps where there are development are strucutred in a way a bit too similar to the fillers. You don't really feel like the story is in traction yet, u know? I actually think the story only really started to get in motion once Ash defeats Gardenia, tbh.
Boring and slow pace/Filler Gallor

I see. I'm currently rewatching the Pokemon anime myself, so I'll pay attention to those issues when I get to DP

It was a bit... boring? I think we all saw potential in stuff like Shinji, Hunter J .etc but on a week-by-week basis it didn't really hold up. Quite a lot of dull filler and even the plot stuff wasn't exactly enthralling. After the Tag Battle arc the Satoshi/Shinji rivalry really took off, the Ginga-dan subplot started in earnest, Hikari's Contest losing streak/development arc happened, even the quality of filler really ramped up.
I still have hope for Journeys, but D&P had actual plot-points to direct the series - Paul, Hunter J, Zoey, actual interesting mini-arcs like the Tag-Battle Contest, the Summer Research Camp, even the episodes where the Johto characters (Lara) can over, and not to mention the Twinleaf Town arc where we met Palmer. Even in fillers, there would be reoccurring characters, like Paul showing up in that maze episode. There were things to get excited of, even if the episode wasn’t interesting itself. You never knew when Paul/Zoey were showing up.

Journeys, has none of that. It’s just the filler’s premise, with nothing of reoccurrence to grow.
There’s nothing in between that keeps me excited. It’s just shoehorning legendaries and powerful Pokemon to fill that role. For example, in the fillers, Ash battled a random PWC trainer with the Meganium - actually cool. However, most of them don’t have that; rivals aren’t reoccurring enough to make it stand-out, and because of the massive roster Goh has, a lot of Pokemon don’t have time to appear and marshal their gimmicks.
Being honest, the only reason I watched the Psyduck was for Gengar actually having an appearance.

I am starting to get the feeling that some of the new episodes are some kind of damage control for the writers, the problem is the writers have no cooking clue how to do it.

Henceforth they start using nostalgia to try and salvage Ash, it will work though pokemon nostalgia is very strong.

So I have given up expecting much from the JN writers, Goh will get Grookey because giving Goh pokemon is easy, giving Ash pokemon is hard plain and simple.

So I have given up expecting much from the JN writers, Goh will get Grookey because giving Goh pokemon is easy, giving Ash pokemon is hard plain and simple.
I don’t really think that’s the case. If it was, they are sure making it complicated by having Grookey already have an owner. If anything, Goh gets Pokemon (actual captures - not just throwing a ball) the same way Ash does, but in reverse - captures the Pokemon, then bonds with it.

I don’t really think that’s the case. If it was, they are sure making it complicated by having Grookey already have an owner. If anything, Goh gets Pokemon (actual captures - not just throwing a ball) the same way Ash does, but in reverse - captures the Pokemon, then bonds with it.
Not the first time that a Pokémon that was captured had an owner. Plus we don’t know the story of why it’s separated so it could very well be Grookey’s interpretation that it’s lost and not the full reality.

Plus with comparison to Ash, Go is missing the key point that Ash has in that he bonds with his Pokémon both before and after capture, something that is shown constantly. With Go, we have to infer offscreen bonding from a single time that he was shown taking care of the Pokémon at the lab over 30 episodes ago which is really bad for him being one of the main characters.

Not the first time that a Pokémon that was captured had an owner. Plus we don’t know the story of why it’s separated so it could very well be Grookey’s interpretation that it’s lost and not the full reality.

Plus with comparison to Ash, Go is missing the key point that Ash has in that he bonds with his Pokémon both before and after capture, something that is shown constantly. With Go, we have to infer offscreen bonding from a single time that he was shown taking care of the Pokémon at the lab over 30 episodes ago which is really bad for him being one of the main characters.
Which is why I said they’ve made it complicated, and not at all easy. They’ve messed up Goh’s story badly, leading to me not caring about Scizor, Darmanitan, Aerodactyl, etc.

Grookey should have a complex story behind it before the catch after all that is good writing:rolleyes:. It isn't set in stone yet that Goh wouldn't suddenly develop the bonding before capture thing after all he is Goh:rolleyes: (I am very bitter about the Scizor thing).

Also remember this is JN they pretty much survive off of bait and nostalgia.

Well one sided bait though, they love teasing possible Ash captures and then flipping it to Goh but never bait a Goh catch (personal opinion), heck they just pretty much told us a in the weekly preview that Goh is catching a Legendary pokemon.

Which is why I said they’ve made it complicated, and not at all easy. They’ve messed up Goh’s story badly, leading to me not caring about Scizor, Darmanitan, Aerodactyl, etc.

They don't actually care about his story or his pokemon all they care about are how many pokemon he has. He started out an mew obsessed introvert and that hasn't really changed all that much at his core.

His only real human friends are Ash and Chloe. Case and point of his still introvert nature is the Alola episode Goh is literally unable to interact with the others until Ash arrives or is present in some way. The rare times that he isn't extremely introverted are in situations like the Darkest Day arc where his curiosity over something overrides his introverted nature.

I know I will be eaten alive for this but thems the breaks.

I insist on the monkey going back to its trainer, specially if said person was neglectful and goes through a change of heart.
That'd be something new. Instead of the overused Abandoned/Mistreated Pokemon capture plot.

But I will laugh if the writers manage to do a rehash of the Tyltto/Monozu plot and the trainer appears at the very last moment.

EvMy7ssUUAM24CU.jpeg

A Cute Grookey!

It’s actually at the point where I cared more about the Dynamax/Gigantamax above it. Wonder why that takes up majority of the page as opposed to a starter finally appearing? We’ve only seen Pikachu Gigantamax twice, and that was more than a year ago.
EDIT: Guessing Grookey can Gigantamax as well, and if that’s the case, I’m expecting Rillaboom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom