• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Super excited for this!! I hope they'll allow us to have every Pokemon in the game, but considering SwSh left out most of them, I'm not holding my breath. But who knows? They might since BDSP aren't doing overworld Pokemon anymore or Dynamax.

Also, forgot to mention that Pokemon might want to keep the new forms a secret for the time being, hence no box art for now.
I mean, new forms for them would be very nice, but since it seems like the story will barely change, then... new forms for what exactly??

Like, ORAS had new forms for all the legendaries cuz hey, Megas were a thing. But they don't seem to be adding it in this game.

Daimax\Kyoudaimax are officially out of the question then, it strongly seems.

I'll still give a shot though, and stop replaying the original Diamond!

I mean, new forms for them would be very nice, but since it seems like the story will barely change, then... new forms for what exactly??

Like, ORAS had new forms for all the legendaries cuz hey, Megas were a thing. But they don't seem to be adding it in this game?
Dialga and Palkia have their own dimensions, much like Giratina. I'm pretty sure the dimensions will be the reason for new forms. And before the anime is mentioned, it's a separate universe than the games.

Psst. Give Garchomp Iron Head. Covers for both Ice AND Fairy. ;)
Lol these are the same people who forwent giving Steven's Metagross Earthquake again, like it originally had in RS, and instead opted for it only to use Steel and Psychic attacking moves...leaving your own Steel-types as the best counter towards it. I have little faith.

What Platinum additions would you say were padding?
I'll admit that I never got to play Platinum as Gen 4 had me start to fall out of Pokémon after Pearl until I heard good things about BW, so I can't really say for certain. However, I've seen a few let's plays to know all of the improvements they made on the story increases the story length with the addition of new characters like Looker and Charon and expanding on Cyrus's backstory. In addition, things like the Distortion World add on to what people complained about Sinnoh being difficult to traverse.

When I say "padding," I don't mean what I personally view as such; I'm talking about how all the stuff in Platinum increased the amount of game time and the pace of the main story, which goes against Masuda's current philosophy of fast-paced experiences due to what he perceives as the decreased attention spans of the target audience. What he thinks is padding is what ultimately matters, which is why I'm afraid of him getting involved. XD

I just want to experience what I never got to for myself, and I don't think these remakes will give me that experience. I hope this clarifies what I was talking about.

Lol these are the same people who forwent giving Steven's Metagross Earthquake again, like it originally had in RS, and instead opted for it only to use Steel and Psychic attacking moves...leaving your own Steel-types as the best counter towards it. I have little faith.
But they do seem to be giving Pokémons better coverage moves in the new games tho. The movepools seems more diverse towards the mid-ending of SWSH. But all we gotta do is hope. I do want them to acknowledge that Fairies are a thing now and give the mons better counters. Like Mustard, who has a bunch of Dark, Bug, Poison, Electric and Steel to cover his Fighting type weakness.

I'll admit that I never got to play Platinum as Gen 4 had me start to fall out of Pokémon after Pearl until I heard good things about BW, so I can't really say for certain. However, I've seen a few let's plays to know all of the improvements they made on the story increases the story length with the addition of new characters like Looker and Charon and expanding on Cyrus's backstory. In addition, things like the Distortion World add on to what people complained about Sinnoh being difficult to traverse.

When I say "padding," I don't mean what I personally view as such; I'm talking about how all the stuff in Platinum increased the amount of game time and the pace of the main story, which goes against Masuda's current philosophy of fast-paced experiences due to what he perceives as the decreased attention spans of the target audience. What he thinks is padding is what ultimately matters, which is why I'm afraid of him getting involved. XD

I just want to experience what I never got to for myself, and I don't think these remakes will give me that experience. I hope this clarifies what I was talking about.

I suppose I'm the opposite of you here in that I never played the original DP, but I have played Platinum. So maybe my sense of it is skewed, but personally I don't think the story additions in Platinum are that significant. The Distortion World is probably the main thing that I would expect to get left out (or adapted to the post-game), but that's more a consequence of how it shifts the focus of the climax away from Dialga/Palkia, who are the box mascots here and should naturally keep the spotlight. The Charon/Stark Mountain stuff isn't that much to add, it's just an extra couple of short scenes, and the original DP had you lug the Magma Stone up to Stark Mountain anyway. Heck, Masuda directed LGPE and look - it added some scenes that didn't exist in Yellow, while it retained the mechanical conveniences/QOL improvements.

The stuff that slows the game down is mostly grinding-related. In that regard, I do think there's a much higher chance of seeing the Exp. All as opposed to, say, the VS Seeker. The Exp. All cuts out the middle man and lets all your Pokémon grow and keep pace simultaneously, whereas the VS Seeker has to charge in between uses, and even though it does supplement your training efforts more than wild Pokémon, you still have to backtrack to places you've already been and have your weaker Pokémon play catch-up. It just distracts from the main thrust of the game and the sense of progression.

Similarly, I can definitely foresee Poffin-making being streamlined like Pokéblocks were in ORAS. The aim being to make Contests more accessible.

But they do seem to be giving Pokémons better coverage moves in the new games tho. The movepools seems more diverse towards the mid-ending of SWSH. But all we gotta do is hope. I do want them to acknowledge that Fairies are a thing now and give the mons better counters. Like Mustard, who has a bunch of Dark, Bug, Poison, Electric and Steel to cover his Fighting type weakness.

See also some of the moveset glow-ups in LGPE, particularly on the post-game rematch teams.

Man the moment I saw the overworld models I was turned off buying it instantly.

I will never insult XY and ORAS's overworld models again. Good sweet christ on a cracker I dislike the somewhat squishied designs but gods do I LOATHE BABY CHIBIS. I'm not even gonna complain about Let's Go's overworld models again. Everyone looking like a child is one thing but I do not like suddenly going from 'looks like 13 year old' to 'MAMA WOOK I WENT POTTY AWW BY MYSEWF!!" With sprites they have the excuse of size limitations but good lord why? Why??? Smack that side developer with a seabass. Plus if they're staying faithful to the original it's an even harder pass for me. I bought platinum for a reason. If I ever do get this game it'll be used someday in the future.

Oh well at least the other game looked promising.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom