• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

After watching it again, all I can say is that I'm disappointed. Look at the previous remakes. They all received sizable improvements and redesigns. None of this is apparent in these games. This isn't even a remake, it's a remaster with no effort put into it what so ever. I'm just disappointed and I think this is enough for me to say I'm done with the franchise.

10 year-olds? Okay. So what about 10 year-olds back in Gen 7, Gen 6, Gen 5, etc. Every generation has 10 year olds.
Judging by comments by the developers, it appears that their attitudes towards younger players have shifted over the years. Masuda himself said that the Battle Frontier was removed in ORAS because (and I'm paraphrasing here) modern kids have shorter attention spans and are more easily distracted. Whether or not kids have shorter attention spans is up to debate, but what isn't up to debate is the fact that devs believe this. Hence, simplifying the games so that the target audience doesn't lose interest due to running into a figurative wall and then abandoning the game.
But not every generation had Pokemon Go fans.
The trend of simplifying the games predates GO players as I stated before. Really, it started with X and Y, with things like the Exp. Share granting exp to the entire party, powerful Pokémon like Mega Lucario being handed to the player on a silver platter relatively early on, an Elite Four where each member only uses four Pokémon, etc. You cannot pin these changes on GO players when these games came before Pokémon GO; they suggest a shift in design philosophy that arose earlier on and, judging by the developers comments, is more aimed at their perceived idea of a modern child rather than people who play a mobile spin-off.

After watching it again, all I can say is that I'm disappointed. Look at the previous remakes. They all received sizable improvements and redesigns. None of this is apparent in these games. This isn't even a remake, it's a remaster with no effort put into it what so ever. I'm just disappointed and I think this is enough for me to say I'm done with the franchise.
This post is absolutely golden. But I want to add something to it.

Why did I buy OR/AS? Back of the move tutor. Delphox could not learn the Fairy move in Sun/Moon. In order to teach it the Fairy move, you had to transfer it to OR/AS to use the move tutor on that island, and transfer back.

Hopefully there is something of this along the lines to make these games worth it. Coalossal in Sword/Shield cannot learn that special-attacking Rock move, so you never know.

But I never said that either.

Okay.

See I always pick a team of 6, I never care to try to catch them all. So I try to be a reference point to level scaling. Good to know you found X/Y to be easier than Sword/Shield.

Sorry, my one pissed off moment and then I'm letting this go because this is pointless, but.... THAT'S LITERALLY WHAT YOU'VE BEEN ARGUING THIS ENTIRE TIME?! You have legit been arguing that all of that BS you listed was all because of GO players. Without any actual evidence outside of blind assumptions that things are because of GO. And I'm not even CLOSE to the only one who thought XY was easier than SWSH, nor are you the only one who picks a team of 6 and doesn't catch them all, that's pretty common. It's a general consensus that XY are some of the easiest. I wouldn't have even brought it up if I was the only one who thought that. Just because you thought SWSH was easier does not mean that GO is the reason for that. And do not try to say "I didn't say it was" because you have literally argued all of this.

Point is, GO players are not the cause of everything you hate. They aren't brats with an IQ of 0 who can't figure out dual-typings after already seeing them 50 times, nor are they incapable of leveling up their mons without the baked in EXP share. There's no reason to blame them because you think the games are easier.

I'm still not even sure how this got brought up because there's REALLY no reason to think GO players are the reason for these Sinnoh remakes. We're the ones who wanted it in the first place.

Wow this is really disappointing. DPPT are still very playable on DS or 3DS, why make the exact same game. If anything it looks less pleasing than the originals. Virtual console would have been better than this. What a disappointment for the one remake Sinnoh games will get, all other remakes got additional content, extremely updated graphics, and were to the quality of the games of that generation. It has been a really long time since a Pokemon game looked this poor visually. And then they follow it up with an amazing looking game, although I'm not so sure I'm as excited about the content it appears to be a much better announcement. Why could they not just make the Sinnoh remakes in those graphics. No one wanted a faithful one-to-one game, we can still play the originals!
You maybe, but not everybody can. Some fans may not have been around when the originals were a thing for example, and then there are those fans who may have lost access to the originals for some reason or another (I'm one such example, as most of my Pokemon games were destroyed by a flood). Besides, it's possible and perhaps even probable that Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl will have their share of updates or completely new content like what HG/SS and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire had.

Judging by comments by the developers, it appears that their attitudes towards younger players have shifted over the years. Masuda himself said that the Battle Frontier was removed in ORAS because (and I'm paraphrasing here) modern kids have shorter attention spans and are more easily distracted. Whether or not kids have shorter attention spans is up to debate, but what isn't up to debate is the fact that devs believe this. Hence, simplifying the games so that the target audience doesn't lose interest due to running into a figurative wall and then abandoning the game.
Ah, this is possibly something to do with the core series on a mobile app?

Okay, and here's another category to add to the bucket: Detective Pikachu movie fans. Those are people who did not play Pokemon Go, but saw the Detective Pikachu movie in theaters, and therefore went to go buy a Switch to play Sword/Shield. This was the 1st time for a live movie. So this is possible a smaller % of the population that GF wanted to cater to when they made Sword/Shield easier.

Sorry, my one pissed off moment and then I'm letting this go because this is pointless, but.... THAT'S LITERALLY WHAT YOU'VE BEEN ARGUING THIS ENTIRE TIME?! You have legit been arguing that all of that BS you listed was all because of GO players.
Yes, Pokemon Go players, not Pokemon Go itself. The LG/PE was likely a transition from the Go app itself.

Point is, GO players are not the cause of everything you hate. They aren't brats with an IQ of 0 who can't figure out dual-typings after already seeing them 50 times, nor are they incapable of leveling up their mons without the baked in EXP share. There's no reason to blame them because you think the games are easier.
Yes, there can be others, and feel free to list them.

But right now, I didn't spute out any numbers, (like 99%), but I still feel they are the major population.

By the way...

Let's not forget that Pokemon Go players can be middle-aged adults, who work full-time. So they play it when they're off thinking in the real world. They're not going to read all the strategy guides and stuff that core fans are.

Ah, this is possibly something to do with the core series on a mobile app?

Okay, and here's another category to add to the bucket: Detective Pikachu movie fans. Those are people who did not play Pokemon Go, but saw the Detective Pikachu movie in theaters, and therefore went to go buy a Switch to play Sword/Shield. This was the 1st time for a live movie. So this is possible a smaller % of the population that GF wanted to cater to when they made Sword/Shield easier.
Mate. Are you legit trolling us? I can't tell anymore.

Pokemon always had offshoot projects which brought in more fans. As far as monotypes go, they did the same in gen 2. It was a design choice. Now it could have been in an attempt to keep things simple but whether that occurred due to Go or Detective Pikachu is not something we know. And it is unlikely that it did. Finally, I feel like Detective Pikachu was made as a homage for pokemon fans first and foremost.

Wow this is really disappointing. DPPT are still very playable on DS or 3DS, why make the exact same game. If anything it looks less pleasing than the originals. Virtual console would have been better than this. What a disappointment for the one remake Sinnoh games will get, all other remakes got additional content, extremely updated graphics, and were to the quality of the games of that generation. It has been a really long time since a Pokemon game looked this poor visually. And then they follow it up with an amazing looking game, although I'm not so sure I'm as excited about the content it appears to be a much better announcement. Why could they not just make the Sinnoh remakes in those graphics. No one wanted a faithful one-to-one game, we can still play the originals!
For all we know, there can be more differences for a "faithful" remake. We still don't know anything. How are they going to implement Pal Park on a faithful remake on the Switch without any GBA slot? How are they going to show the Pokétch without a bottom screen? The trailers showed the battles in 3D. FireRed/LeafGreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver and OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire had been pretty faithful to the original games while adding some new features and areas, and there are already some elements of Platinum spotted in the trailer. The chibi models could be a stylistic choice. We won't know the levels of faithfulness until the game comes out and we play it. There are people who believe the National Dex will not return, but that won't make it so faithful to the original would it? And with Porygon-Z in the trailer, either we're getting Platinum's Pokédex or we're getting the National Dex.

You maybe, but not everybody can. Some fans may not have been around when the originals were a thing for example, and then there are those fans who may have lost access to the originals for some reason or another (I'm one such example, as most of my Pokemon games were destroyed by a flood). Besides, it's possible and perhaps even probable that Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl will have their share of updates or completely new content like what HG/SS and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire had.

Exactly. Personally, I had a tendency to trade in games/systems when new ones came out to help lessen the financial blow. This game came out what, 15 years ago? Good luck just walking into your local game store and finding a copy that isn’t marked up 2-3 times its original selling price, if they have it at all.

And while I have a 3DS still, in a few years it’ll probably be toast. Meanwhile, my Switch will still be functional (in theory); and if not, a newer more powerful version will have taken its place.

And regardless of whether or not the BDSP have anything new to offer (and I’m positive they will; even FRLG added the Sevii Islands, and those games were the most basic of remakes), they’ll have QoL updates.

Let's not forget that Pokemon Go players can be middle-aged adults, who work full-time. So they play it when they're off thinking in the real world. They're not going to read all the strategy guides and stuff that core fans are.
smh i took the bait

as we all know go players haven't ingested enough tendies and cheeto dust to understand the deep and intricate complexities of pokemon such as rock kill birb, being preoccupied with unimportant things such as keeping a steady job /joking

And while I have a 3DS still, in a few years it’ll probably be toast. Meanwhile, my Switch will still be functional (in theory); and if not, a newer more powerful version will have taken its place.

And regardless of whether or not the BDSP have anything new to offer (and I’m positive they will; even FRLG added the Sevii Islands, and those games were the most basic of remakes), they’ll have QoL updates.

Oh no please don't remind me I've been thinking about when mine's gonna hit the dust lately. :cry:

But yes at the very least it was implied that these games would have some of the QOL improvements of the modern games and possibly the Platinum dex, so at the very least it might not be a complete 1:1 remake. Even if it's more similar than we'd like, it'll still probably be Sinnoh without the slowness, level grinding, and mon limits. May even be some surprises in there. It's very possible we don't know everything about it yet. Just looking on the bright side a bit.

I actually can see myself warming up to the artstyle after a bit... I just don't know if I can get over the character overworld models yet.

Pffft, so much negativity about these reveals, it is kind of off-putting. I prefer to look the bright side, contrary to the vast majority here:

- We will be able to revisit Sinnoh again in the modern console. Some people, like me, didn't play Pokemon games during the period that these games were originally released on the DS. Since I came back to the franchise relatively recently (when Sun and Moon came out), that meant I missed from Ruby/Sapphire, all the way to X/Y. And with all the love for Sinnoh I wondered why it was such a highly regarded game. But since the games had been long since discontinued, I couldn't play the games (also: no virtual console versions ever... why?). I only got to play these games when I was lucky enough to find a copy of Diamond. I WANT the full Sinnoh experience, and these remakes/ remasters can give me and many others that opportunity, just as the previous remakes have already done.

- The graphics, quite frankly, don't look worse than Link's Awakening. If Nintendo gave this treatment to a beloved Zelda game, why not Pokemon?

- If they integrate the Platinum Dex (or even a bigger one), I'll be pleased. I never got to play Platinum, and I probably never will. These are a good substitute. If they have full connectivity and features (especially in the Underground level), even better. I also would love (and expect) connectivity with HOME, especially to be able to use Mons that are not compatible with SW/SH or LGPE and thus are stuck in HOME. I WANT TO USE MY BOY MIGHTYENA IN A MODERN GAME.

- People, we GOT TWO GAMES BASED ON SINNOH ON THE HORIZON... one of them (Legends Arceus) looks potentially amazing and even groundbreaking. Why are you even complaining? Only Kanto has received this kind of respect and love from GF, and it is understandable being that Kanto is the first and oldest region of Pokemon. And the region of Pikachu, the franchise's mascot. I SHOULD be the one to complain, since Kalos is my fave region and look how it was treated in ITS INITIAL RELEASE. Come on.

- Even with all that being said, some people here argue that the originals are still quite playable (and I agree with that part). Ehem, haven't your all thought that one day our DS and 3DS systems will be so obsolete, we won't be able to play games of these consoles anymore? They get busted, good luck repairing them. And if you so love the Sinnoh games, wouldn't it be nice to have an alternative to keep playing them on a modern console?

Last edited:
Oh no please don't remind me I've been thinking about when mine's gonna hit the dust lately. :cry:

But yes at the very least it was implied that these games would have some of the QOL improvements of the modern games and possibly the Platinum dex, so at the very least it might not be a complete 1:1 remake. Even if it's more similar than we'd like, it'll still probably be Sinnoh without the slowness, level grinding, and mon limits. May even be some surprises in there. It's very possible we don't know everything about it yet. Just looking on the bright side a bit.

I actually can see myself warming up to the artstyle after a bit... I just don't know if I can get over the character overworld models yet.

I actually like the overworld models a bit better, tbh; while I would have preferred SWSH models for the whole game, there’s a certain toyetic quality to the overworld sprites that suits the franchise and its history.

And yes; I’m sure there are several new elements that we haven’t been shown yet. This was a Pokémon Presents, not a Nintendo Direct. The former tends to be lighter on the details than the latter. On top of that, it was literally our first glimpse of the games. Based on the SWSH info cycle, GF seems to have taken the stance of the slow info drip. This was just a confirmation that yes, remakes are coming and very little else.

Jeez, I didn't expect my post to cause such a stir

I think I should clarify, I do not blame Go players at all. I meant that GF and TPC may have gotten a little too excited about the abundance of fans that were brought in from Go. For example, if Go never happened we would have never gotten LGPE and I think SWSH would may have had more time to develop properly. It is clear that a lot of care went into LGPE and since SWSH was released close to it I am inclined to believe that stripped attention away from the development of SWSH. Had GF calmed down, and maybe planned things a little better, things would have turned out differently (or maybe not lol). I guess what I am trying to say is that Go helped jumpstart a string of bad planning and decisions. It reminds me of people who win the lottery and go broke in a few years due to not being able to mange their new found wealth.

Also I don't think Go is completely to blame, the series has been changing a lot ever since gen 6.

And on a more positive note, if these games are faithful remakes like they claim then I am really excited for the current generation of kids to play them! I hope they have great game play like the originals and it makes me happy to know that their will be a whole new generation of people who have a fondness for Sinnoh because of these games:bulbaLove:

Because some of us aren't happy with what we saw, while others are. Both opinions are perfectly valid. :)

OK, fair enough. I agree with you in that if ONLY the remakes were released for Sinnoh, I'd probably be a bit disappointed. But I think Legends Arceus more than makes up for it. I mean, come on, I think that the final product, if done right, is not only groundbreaking for the franchise but will be as enjoyable as BotW. I think that game changes everything. But probably for some, this isn't the case.

Still, I think such blatant negativity in light of what was revealed today is very unattractive and unappealing to me. Just my opinion, man, as you said.

P.S. Maybe we are discussing on a game that is not even finished, and the footage revealed in the "Presents" doesn't even scratch the surface of what the games will actually be. At least, I hope it doesn't. I will agree that GF has a lot of work to do on those games before release.

Last edited:
But I think Legends Arceus more than makes up for it. I mean, come on, I think that the final product, if done right, is not only groundbreaking for the franchise but will be as enjoyable as BotW. I think that game changes everything. But probably for some, this isn't the case.
Eh, Legends Arceus is not a traditional remake and we have no idea how different it will be from the games, and ultimately it's subjective whether or not it "makes up for BDSP." Especially considering open world isn't everyone's forte.

Eh, Legends Arceus is not a traditional remake and we have no idea how different it will be from the games, and ultimately it's subjective whether or not it "makes up for BDSP." Especially considering open world isn't everyone's forte.

That is why I constantly say "I think". I'm not posting a fact, and I don't intend to (despite my harsh language, I'm just annoyed by the overall reaction). But I agree, not everyone likes open world games.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom