• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Doubt E3 is happening again this year due to the ongoing pandemic.

It's probably safer to say a new trailer will either be in the next Pokemon Direct/Presents or Nintendo Direct.
Cases in the US are dropping. Over two thirds of the total infected have recovered. People are getting vaccinated. Things can finally go back to normal.

I'm pretty sure GameFreak has the final say on it. Like some members have said, I can't believe it passed the quality control, and keep in your mind that the graphics will not look that diferent from what we got so far. In my opinion this franchise has hit a new low.

A laughing stock:

Source -> https://www.dualshockers.com/static/uploads/2021/02/pokemon-ilca-scaled.jpg

View attachment 140408

Low-quality image aside, I still think this looks fine?

Again, the chibis are an unusual choice, but not an inherently bad one, and compared to the original games, to my eyes these overworld areas look much more rich and natural.

Sinnoh_Route_201_DP.png

Sure and I’m willing to accept that. The problem I’m seeing is that people are fully willing to point the finger at them when it comes to issues in a game that was mainly handled by another company entirely, but then hardly pay them any praise when it comes to the game that everyone is crazy about. People really just love to scapegoat them for all of the series’ problems.

On that I completely agree, yeah.

I don't think anyone will take Chibi Cyrus seriously LOL.

FWIW I never took him that seriously to begin with, seeing him as a cartoonish villain with cliché goals and minions who dress up in aluminum jumpsuits and turquoise bowlcuts. :|

FWIW I never took him that seriously to begin with, seeing him as a cartoonish villain with cliché goals and minions who dress up in aluminum jumpsuits and turquoise bowlcuts. :|
And now is going to be even worse, just add big head and small body to all those qualities :oops::rolleyes:.

Cases in the US are dropping. Over two thirds of the total infected have recovered. People are getting vaccinated. Things can finally go back to normal.
A lot of the larger conventions have already canceled. It doesn't matter if people are getting vaccinated now, they just want to make 100% sure it's not going to come back when they start up again. Not to mention there's still the other variants that have cropped up to worry about.

Either way, E3 was having issues even before the pandemic with major companies dropping out. I doubt that even if the infection rates for all variants drop to nothing, there's still a possibility that E3 won't be happening again. So, yeah, my point about how we won't see another trailer until the next Nintendo or Pokemon direct still stands.

As a fan you should never be greatful, you should expect it. You pay money for it. And a Company like pokemon should have high standards

Most Successful RPG Series of All Time", "Game Series With the Most Spin-Off Movies" and "Most Photosensitive Epileptic Seizures Caused by a TV Show".[122] As of March 2020, the series has sold over 368 million units.
Fully agree with you. There's no excuse for this. Anyway, there's no doubt in my mind that the sales will exceed 10 millions of copies, since there's sizeable number of fans who buy whatever they sell. This is why they will always sell unfinished products like this piece of crap. This is why we can't get new games without caring about the quality and the add/remove thing (they add following pokemon, they remove in the next game; they add Megas, then they give up on it in the next game). I want to make clear this is just my opinon. If you've failed in love with these remakes, go ahead and buy them.

As a fan you should never be greatful, you should expect it. You pay money for it. And a Company like pokemon should have high standards

Most Successful RPG Series of All Time", "Game Series With the Most Spin-Off Movies" and "Most Photosensitive Epileptic Seizures Caused by a TV Show".[122] As of March 2020, the series has sold over 368 million units.
One of these things is not like the other.

Fully agree with you. There's no excuse for this. Anyway, there's no doubt in my mind that the sales will exceed 10 millions of copies, since there's sizeable number of fans who buy whatever they sell. This is why they will always sell unfinished products like this piece of crap. This is why we can't get new games without caring about the quality and the add/remove thing (they add following pokemon, they remove in the next game; they add Megas, then they give up on it in the next game). I want to make clear this is just my opinon. If you've failed in love with these remakes, go ahead and buy them.
Or, alternatively, people need to learn that just because they have a negative opinion of the game that does not mean that everyone feels the same way. Quality is subjective. If millions of people think that a game is quality enough to buy it then there’s nothing wrong with that. That’s just their opinion.

Despite disliking the artstyle I will buy it day 1 if they actually bring back the national dex
I personally dislike the whole National Dex controversy. In the sense that its removal doesn't bother me. It was bound to happen eventually.

Or, alternatively, people need to learn that just because they have a negative opinion of the game that does not mean that everyone feels the same way. Quality is subjective. If millions of people think that a game is quality enough to buy it then there’s nothing wrong with that. That’s just their opinion.
I'm fully aware of this, I know there's a lot of people who will buy these games. Like I said, it's just my opinion.

You maybe, but not everybody can. Some fans may not have been around when the originals were a thing for example, and then there are those fans who may have lost access to the originals for some reason or another (I'm one such example, as most of my Pokemon games were destroyed by a flood). Besides, it's possible and perhaps even probable that Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl will have their share of updates or completely new content like what HG/SS and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire had.
You can still buy used extremely easily, I got a new (used) copy of Platinum just two years ago on a new (used) DS lite, (paid $30 total for both) works perfectly well, very easy to get. DP are still (literally) a little slow, but Platinum play just fine and looks just about as good as these trailers look.

Its very hard to compare this to HGSS or ORAS considering those games were not only up to par of the other games in their generation, but in many ways (esp HGSS) updated from the games in their generations as far as visual, total content, etc. Looking at this as compared to Sword/Shield is a total joke. Its sad to think back on how amazing HGSS was and to think this is where we are today. Everything from updated visuals/scenes, music remixes/updates, full Pokemon rosters, new locations, new content, rematches, elements from and nods to every game at the time, the list goes on and on, the amount of effort they put into those games was superb and nothing they have produced has come anywhere close since Gen V ended.

Maybe this really is just a cheap way to make essentially a VC game but without the dual screen issue, then I guess it isn't so bad depending on how good Legends is, but if this really is their idea of a remake on par with FRLG, HGSS, ORAS, (heck even Let's Go) then it is really bad. I can't believe they really thought that would get people excited on 25th anniversary, and to follow up the tremendous looking Snap with this garbage looking game makes it even more grating. If they had just announced Legends and shown the Snap video that would have been far better and then announce this cheap slop later.

You can still buy used extremely easily, I got a new (used) copy of Platinum just two years ago on a new (used) DS lite, (paid $30 total for both) works perfectly well, very easy to get. DP are still (literally) a little slow, but Platinum play just fine and looks just about as good as these trailers look.

Its very hard to compare this to HGSS or ORAS considering those games were not only up to par of the other games in their generation, but in many ways (esp HGSS) updated from the games in their generations as far as visual, total content, etc. Looking at this as compared to Sword/Shield is a total joke. Its sad to think back on how amazing HGSS was and to think this is where we are today. Everything from updated visuals/scenes, music remixes/updates, full Pokemon rosters, new locations, new content, rematches, elements from and nods to every game at the time, the list goes on and on, the amount of effort they put into those games was superb and nothing they have produced has come anywhere close since Gen V ended.

Maybe this really is just a cheap way to make essentially a VC game but without the dual screen issue, then I guess it isn't so bad depending on how good Legends is, but if this really is their idea of a remake on par with FRLG, HGSS, ORAS, (heck even Let's Go) then it is really bad. I can't believe they really thought that would get people excited on 25th anniversary, and to follow up the tremendous looking Snap with this garbage looking game makes it even more grating. If they had just announced Legends and shown the Snap video that would have been far better and then announce this cheap slop later.
We've only seen one trailer. Jumping to conclusions this early will only make you jaded and pessimistic.

Despite disliking the artstyle I will buy it day 1 if they actually bring back the national dex
Me too. The fact that there was a National Dex in the original Diamond and Pearl gives me hope in this "faithful remake." But I would like the National Dex to go all the way up to Calyrex, not Arceus. Has anyone compared the battle models and animations in the trailer to Sword and Shield? We know the overworld models have shrunk to nostalgic minifigures, but what about the battle models? How easily can they import Sword and Shield Pokémon into Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl?

I’ll admit it...I’m pretty gutted about this. The art style looks, as many others have said, like plastic and the chibi overworld models look squashed and, in my opinion, ridiculous. I’ve been waiting a long time for modern remakes of Gen IV, as it and Gen VI are my favourites (I know, I never stood a chance, did I?) but when I saw the trailer for Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl...all that excitement and hope vanished without a trace. And I know, I know - it’s one trailer, the full game is nine months away etc etc, and I do plan to keep an eye on future reveals just in case there is something truly exciting, like Origin Formes for Dialga and Palkia, or a cute or interesting new character, but...
I really do dislike the art direction, and it’s going to take a lot to win back my excitement after that. I wish everyone who likes the art style, or who can at least look passed it, all the best with the games, though. I mean that. Enjoy them for all the people like me, who want to do desperately, but just can’t.

It doesn’t help that I’m not personally a fan of ‘open world’-style games, and as a result Legends: Arceus interests me only a little bit more than BDSP, and even then, it’s only because I’m interested what new characters might be in it, or what connections it might have to DPPtBDSP. Has anyone noticed Kanji looking like the Galactic ‘G’ logo on the protagonists’ arms, for instance?

But yeah, this Pokémon Day was something of a wash for me. To all the people acting like the games are objectively terrible - they aren’t, we don’t know enough about them to even begin saying that...and even then, ‘terrible’ is subjective enough that someone will like them - I love X and Y after all. To all the people acting like it’s too early to not like the games at all though...it isn’t - the art style is already set and even if it is polished up, it’s not going to change dramatically, and it’s fine to dislike it. I’d like to say we’re all just rubbed raw with personal problems, COVID, and the suddenness of the reveals...but arguing about taste is second nature on the internet after all.
If anyone reads this, and they’re adamant that the other side is wholly wrong, I hope this might at least convince them to see the other side’s point - be it to give the games a chance to win them back, or that sometimes an art direction is a valid reason to be disappointed.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom