• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your favorite 'obscure' character

Mindy comes to mind, but she isn’t really obscure. Instead, I like the gullible child/entire town in ORAS(haven’t played R/S, so I don’t know if they exist) that will celebrate (insert item here) (insert event here) when you tell them about a certain item event. My personal favorite is Moomoo milk parties.

Back when I spent dozens, if not hundreds of hours at the Battle Frontier in Emerald, I'd form rivalries with NPC trainers I'd regularly encounter throughout the battle facilities. I absolutely loved the apprentice feature where you encountered a trainer who looks up to you in the Battle Tower, and once you're done sort of mentoring them, they actually become a trainer you can fight against or team up with for multi battles in the facility.

There was a collector with the same name as me who shouted "I am the main character!" which could not have been a coincidence, I'm assuming this collector takes the same name as the player and then shouts they are the main character as a joke.

Does anyone remember Cal, the trainer who uses all three Johto starters? He's another favourite of mine.

My first name, which I've always given to my Pokemon protagonists, is Callum. So you can imagine my surprise when I met a character in Silver version who not only looked identical to me, but had a shortened version of my name as well. At the time, I genuinely thought that this character's name was generated by taking the first three letters of the player's name.*

Not only did I have a doppelgänger, but he'd somehow managed to one-up me by catching all three starters as well! I saw him as a second rival of sorts, and even wrote him into a fanfiction. I don't remember it very well, but it was about my Typhlosion, Bill, meeting Cal's Typhlosion, whom I imagined Cal had nicknamed Spike. I think Spike got lost, and Bill helped to reunite him with Cal, or something. And Janine was in it.

It's funny how a seemingly unimportant character can leave such a big impression on an eight-year-old with a big imagination! As much as I love HeartGold and SoulSilver, I'll never forgive them for changing Cal's appearance to that of an Ace Trainer.

(*This wasn't the only odd naming coincidence to occur in this game, either. Because I named my Cyndaquil Bill at the beginning, I also believed for a while that the PC was named after the player's starter, until I ran into the man called Bill later on.)

I tend to like the player characters from spinoff titles that don't get brought up a lot. I'm not really sure why, I just think there's something neat about them, especially since they seem so often forgotten in comparison to the core series protagonists.

Mark and Mint from the the TCG GB games have some really awesome designs. Lunick from Ranger could be considered kinda obscure too since he got a lot less focus than Solana did back in the day. There's also Nate and Cyndy from Battle Revolution, the characters that appear on the default Rental Passes.

My favorites (and probably the more obscure ones) are the unnamed player characters from Stadium 2 and Hey You, Pikachu though...

The Meister, aka the guy who trades you a German Magikarp in the Sinnoh games. There's a way to get stuck on the island where he lives, essentially screwing up your game unless you use a walk through walls cheat code. I remember him because of that, and because I was very confused to see the German Pokédex entry on Magikarp when I first played Diamond as a kid. I thought it was an unfair trade but gave him a Finneon anyway because I felt bad for him. With only a Magikarp you can't catch much else.

Speaking of trading, who remembers Mindy from Snowpoint City? I do, though I definitely don't love her :') I remember that when I first played Diamond I talked to the Pokémon News Press man and he asked me to show him a Gengar, which I did not have. Fast forward to Snowpoint City, this girl on a random house offers to trade me a Haunter for a Medicham. I went, caught a Medicham, and traded it to her. But there was one thing: Haunter did not evolve. It was holding an Everstone :')

Been thinkin’ about those random NPCs who may or may not even have a name, but still manage to squeeze out multiple appearances across games

“I can’t give you any nuggets of wisdom, so that’ll have to do!” guy, introduced in Gold & Silver, given a backstory in FRLG, and then pops up in Alola in USUM. 18 real-world years since his first appearance, what an arc lol

The celebrity who owns a Fearow and lives past the upper gate house on Route 16 (you have to use Cut to reach her, and she gives you Fly in exchange for not blabbing about her location), and then in the Johto games has moved to the extremely remote house over by Mt. Silver because people kept tracking her down even though she just wants some privacy. Poor girl. I bet Red couldn’t keep his mouth shut.

And then there’s one of Mr. Backlot’s maids (Elena) who shows up at one of the hotels in XY and trades you an Eevee. Glad the localizers caught that one this time; we’ve come a long way since Koga’s daughter “Charine”

There's a birdkeeper on route 14 I believe that refers to the Legendary Birds calling them the Winged Mirages.

I like him because that's really the only time Kanto seems to have any hint of legend lore outside Mr. Fuji's diary about mew and mewtwo. Plus he's a bird keeper so it feels like watching someone geek out and its a little adorable.

Surprised no one's mentioned (and that I didn't remember until now) Veteran Shaun from the Gen 5 games. He shows up in both BW (at Challenger's Cave) and B2W2 (at Wellspring Cave), and comes at you packing a solid team of six, consisting of Gyarados, Snorlax, Crobat, Gigalith, Druddigon, and Excadrill. I think he's one of very, very few minor NPCs in the whole series to have a complete team that isn't just Magikarp.

(Minor headcanon: I like to imagine that Veteran Julia, who's near Shaun in Challenger's Cave and who also runs a decent team, is his sister. She also crops up in B2W2, this time at Twist Mountain, although she's swapped out all of her team members from before. In BW, she used Trash Cloak Wormadam, Leavanny, Cloyster, and Ninetales, while in the sequels, she has Glaceon, Bastiodon, Rhyperior, and Drapion.)

I like some random villainous team Grunts because of their funny or interesting dialogue. For example, one Plasma Grunt aboard the Plasma Frigate mentions he used to be in Teams Galactic. So we basically beat him as the Sinnoh protagonist, and then again as a Unova protagonist.

This reminds me of Doctor Julius from B2W2, the healing doctor aboard the Plasma Frigate. He seems to in fact be a member of Team Plasma, with his reason for siding with them being that he believes fewer Pokémon will be hurt in the long run if Team Plasma (and mind you, this is Neo-Plasma, the openly violent insurgents) controls the world, which frankly suggests far too complex of a motive for a two-bit nobody NPC whose place in the game could have just as easily been filled by a bed.

Engineer Bernie in Fr/Lg. He's a good way to get experience even into the endgame and is great for EV training special attack--especially nice since few wild mon in early parts of the game give special attack.

Also props to his normal attack counterpart, Fisherman Ronald, whose even worth more Exp (on fact I used him to grind for the Elite Four rematch).

Engineer Bernie in Fr/Lg. He's a good way to get experience even into the endgame and is great for EV training special attack--especially nice since few wild mon in early parts of the game give special attack.

Also props to his normal attack counterpart, Fisherman Ronald, whose even worth more Exp (on fact I used him to grind for the Elite Four rematch).
I've tended to grind for the initial Elite Four run at Kindle Road and for the rematches in Sevault Canyon.

Does anyone remember Cal, the trainer who uses all three Johto starters? He's another favourite of mine.

My first name, which I've always given to my Pokemon protagonists, is Callum. So you can imagine my surprise when I met a character in Silver version who not only looked identical to me, but had a shortened version of my name as well. At the time, I genuinely thought that this character's name was generated by taking the first three letters of the player's name.*

Not only did I have a doppelgänger, but he'd somehow managed to one-up me by catching all three starters as well! I saw him as a second rival of sorts, and even wrote him into a fanfiction. I don't remember it very well, but it was about my Typhlosion, Bill, meeting Cal's Typhlosion, whom I imagined Cal had nicknamed Spike. I think Spike got lost, and Bill helped to reunite him with Cal, or something. And Janine was in it.

It's funny how a seemingly unimportant character can leave such a big impression on an eight-year-old with a big imagination! As much as I love HeartGold and SoulSilver, I'll never forgive them for changing Cal's appearance to that of an Ace Trainer.

(*This wasn't the only odd naming coincidence to occur in this game, either. Because I named my Cyndaquil Bill at the beginning, I also believed for a while that the PC was named after the player's starter, until I ran into the man called Bill later on.)
Not just Cal, but Carrie and Dude as well for me. Carrie, of course, is the little girl from Goldenrod Department Store who can be battled by doing Mystery Gift with her in Pokémon Stadium 2. Dude, meanwhile, was the original capture tutor on Route 29 whose role was usurped by Ethan/Lyra in the remakes. I'd love to see a spinoff starring all three of them.

Cheryl. I like girls with green hair. Plus, she has a kind personality and is very helpful with healing. The Pokemon she uses in the Battle Tower in Gen IV are some of my favorites.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom