• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

That's still not really a great basis for saying that you make up specifically 40% of the fandom.

I will agree that you are not a vocal minority but I will not accept statistics pulled out of thin air.
The Nintendolife's poll is very reliable, I think 15.806 votes are enough to provide us a good look into this discussion, and I'm not even cherrypicking.

There's a lot of videos about the remakes out there, just check the comment section on YouTube. Also there's a poll about the chibi art here, go there and see by yourself. We aren't a loud minory. If you really think most people aren't dissapointed at some degree with these remakes then you're fooling yourself.

Take a look:

I voted for "It's growing on me..." and "I was hoping for the same art style as Pokémon Let's Go". I think the Let's Go style would have been the best route to take - a more realistic style that still retains the classic grid-based overworld. But I still really like what they went with, now I've had some time to get used to it.

It's possible that die-hard fans are more likely to vote in polls such as these, so it might not accurately represent the views of Pokemon players as whole, necessarily.

The Nintendolife's poll is very reliable, I think 15.806 votes are enough to provide us a good look into this discussion, and I'm not even cherrypicking.
Online polls are never reliable because people with stronger opinions, especially negative ones, are more likely to vote and because it is impossible to ensure a representative sample.

Source: I took a stats class last year in college. We had a unit of polling and online, invitational polls were explicitly stated to be pretty useless statistics-wise due to their issues.
That poll has about 15000 votes. The Pokémon fandom consists of millions of people. Not even a percent of the fandom has voiced their opinion on that site.
While that poll is far from a good poll, I'd like to note that you only need a sample size of ~1000 to get a enough people for good representation. You'll notice on reputable polling centers (I'm not certain what they should be called) like Pew Research or Gallup they usually only interview 1000-2000 people, and then extrapolate the results to nations with populations in the tens of millions. 15,000 votes would be more than enough--if this poll was a good poll, that is.

If it did, Sword and Shield wouldn't be the best-selling Pokémon core games since Gold and Silver.
This is actually kind of pathetic if you think about it. The Gameboy Color sold way less than what the Switch sold, meaning its userbase is smaller than the Switch, and yet Gold and Silver still sold more than Sword and Shield. You can say Gold and Silver came out 21 years ago and had more time to gather sales, but games in general sell the majority of its copies in its first year.

Pokemon now is being surprassed in sales by franchises like the Animal Crossing, a franchise that was niche up until 2013 with New Leaf. The Legend of Zelda used to be always behind pokemon in terms of sales, and now Breath of the Wild sold more than Sword and Shield.

What is a lot to a lot of franchises is pretty pathetic for pokemon. And yet the games are being outsold by franchises that only became mainstream a few years ago and franchises that sold half what pokemon sold.

We have no evidence of which people actually liked Sword and Shield. Selling 20 million copies means jack in terms of how well received the games were if we don't know how each person reacted to the game. I would bet good money that there a ton of people that didn't even touched the games, just put them in a shelf and haven't played them yet (this happens to me a lot). There's also the possibility that a lot of people bought the game due to the bad press it got pre-release to see if it was truly bad. It also sold (this one is pretty much true) because it was the first main series game on an home console (a very popular on top of that).

There are also probably tons of people that didn't liked the games that don't use social media, forums or anything similar. So they don't make their voices heard. Hence why it seems it's a "loud minority", where it could be much bigger if more of these people actually wanted to make their voices heard.

My point is neither side has any evidence if anything it's a majority or a minority since there's no evidence for either.

We have no evidence of which people actually liked Sword and Shield. Selling 20 million copies means jack in terms of how well received the games were if we don't know how each person reacted to the game. I would bet good money that there a ton of people that didn't even touched the games, just put them in a shelf and haven't played them yet (this happens to me a lot). There's also the possibility that a lot of people bought the game due to the bad press it got pre-release to see if it was truly bad. It also sold (this one is pretty much true) because it was the first main series game on an home console (a very popular on top of that).

There are also probably tons of people that didn't liked the games that don't use social media, forums or anything similar. So they don't make their voices heard. Hence why it seems it's a "loud minority", where it could be much bigger if more of these people actually wanted to make their voices heard.

My point is neither side has any evidence if anything it's a majority or a minority since there's no evidence for either.
There's no direct evidence like a survey, but it's not difficult to see that one of the fastest and best selling Switch games is well-liked. You don't just sell 20 million games, being the first games to breach that number in almost 20 years to boot, if a sizable number of your consumer-base dislikes them or is neutral on them. And I'd wager the number of people buying the games just to see how bad they are, or shelving them after purchase without playing, is very low considering the high price tag. You don't burn money on a $60 purchase.

Look, I was not a fan of SwSh and am disappointed it sold so well. But trying to spin selling 20 million copies as a bad thing, or attempting to deny their popularity despite selling well is just silly.

Pokémon doesn't care about our complaints because their games will print money anyways.

And I think it's safer to assume that BDSP won't add much to avoid disappointment.

but it's not difficult to see that one of the fastest and best selling Switch games is well-liked.
Yeah, gonna disagree heavily with that. A sale is not the same as a satisfied costumer. Many factors go into why someone buys a game, specially if their first title in the series.

You don't just sell 20 million games, being the first games to breach that number in almost 20 years to boot
You do if you are one of the most popular franchises in the world. But even then, selling 20 million with the Switch's userbase size is pretty weak for the best selling franchise in history.

if a sizable number of your consumer-base dislikes them or is neutral on them.
A sizable number of the consumer-base could be just casuals who don't have much of an investment on the franchise, and buy it because of all the marketing. They don't care much about bad press and want to know if the game is any good.

And I'd wager the number of people buying the games just to see how bad they are, or shelving them after purchase without playing, is very low considering the high price tag. You don't burn money on a $60 purchase.
You'd be surprised how often people burn 60 bucks to buy a game to see if it's any bad. Go to Steam (and other platforms) and see the huge gap of people that bought the game and the ones that got the first basic achievement. Even wider if you see how many got the achievement for beating the game.

Yeah, gonna disagree heavily with that. A sale is not the same as a satisfied costumer. Many factors go into why someone buys a game, specially if their first title in the series.

You do if you are one of the most popular franchises in the world. But even then, selling 20 million with the Switch's userbase size is pretty weak for the best selling franchise in history.

A sizable number of the consumer-base could be just casuals who don't have much of an investment on the franchise, and buy it because of all the marketing. They don't care much about bad press and want to know if the game is any good.

You'd be surprised how often people burn 60 bucks to buy a game to see if it's any bad. Go to Steam (and other platforms) and see the huge gap of people that bought the game and the ones that got the first basic achievement. Even wider if you see how many got the achievement for beating the game.

They have no reason to care about what people are saying because they will buy the games anyways.

There are also probably tons of people that didn't liked the games that don't use social media, forums or anything similar.
Very possible. But the opposite is likewise very possible. The games may also have many silent likers.
Except the sales numbers.
But even then, selling 20 million with the Switch's userbase size is pretty weak for the best selling franchise in history.
And yet, Pokémon hasn't reached 20 million sold copies on a core series game in 20 years.

And yet, Pokémon hasn't reached 20 million sold copies on a core series game in 20 years.

Yes, but considering that nintendo now only has one console and that Pokémon is no longer exclusively handheld, it was assumed that sales would increase. So I’m not sure that the eighth generation was more successful than the previous ones.

For instance, Pokémon Sun and Moon and Pokémon X and Y were the best selling games on 3DS. Pokemon Sword and Shield is nowhere near that on the switch.

Last edited:
When are we going to start making these devs accountable? You say Masuda was part of the reason, but he's part of the reason for every decision regarding the game. He's the producer and has seniority over Ohmori. Every decision has to go past him. I also never said anything bad about Masuda as a developer, my comments were directed towards his philosophy. Compare his views to Morimito's? Both have been at Gamefreak since the start, but only 1 gets what we (the consumer wants). Also, don't you think it's embarrassing that a fan remake from someone who obviously is not a developer showed up Gamefreak? And that's not just me, go to Resetera or even the original tweet (which has a lot of likes as well). The very fact that some random person can make Gamefreak (and therefore Masuda) look mediocre is downright embarrassing and it shouldn't happen at all. Gamefreak needs to be better and they are far from it.
Hold him accountable by not buying the game? But don’t pretend to know exactly what decisions he makes. You didn’t even answer my question. I asked what other features he has removed and you don’t have an answer. Because the truth is we don’t know. So blaming him for everything’s removal is just baseless scapegoating. And, as was said, making a trailer is not nearly the same as making a full game (btw, parts of that trailer looked awful...certainly not something I would be embarrassed over).
I'll see where it goes. I know one thing though. It would be nice for Gamefreak to make a game that is actually good. I know i'm sick of complaining about how bad the franchise has become and it would be nice to see all the Pokemon fans get together and enjoy a game for once.
I think it’s becoming increasingly obvious that the quality of GF’s games just don’t appeal to some (not all by any stretch) of the older fans of the series. That doesn’t mean they aren’t “actually good”. That’s subjective. Sales are still through the roof. They’re doing something right.
People usually reference the chief in control of an organization when they criticize an organization. Who would you have preferred they reference besides Masuda, someone more up or someone below him? If by chance you meant nobody should have been referenced, then that takes away the whole point of criticism.
I don’t have a problem with criticism. I have a problem with “we can no longer get good stuff with Masuda”. What exactly does that accomplish other than being overly negative? It’s also clearly false.
Yeah, he was. The only problem is his currently ideology of "why bother with more content and higher difficulty when kids just want to breeze through their games due to the prominence of smartphones." It's almost like he has the Defeatist ability.
It was his ideology for one aspect of one game. People saw that Battle Frontier interview and now they blame him for everything. It’s silly.
This is actually kind of pathetic if you think about it. The Gameboy Color sold way less than what the Switch sold, meaning its userbase is smaller than the Switch, and yet Gold and Silver still sold more than Sword and Shield. You can say Gold and Silver came out 21 years ago and had more time to gather sales, but games in general sell the majority of its copies in its first year.
I think the statistic being referenced also includes the sales from Gold and Silver’s re-release on the 3DS.
That's why I said "no longer".
I saw. And it’s still an incorrect overgeneralization.

Sinnoh remakes that seek to be very conservative and will probably won't add new content. It seems these games were made just because they can't port the originals.
I'm pretty sure "being conservative" isn't what they thought while designing these games. And remakes were originally made to give players access to Pokémon that had become unavailable due to the transition to the GBA era. They no longer serve that purpose. These remakes were made because there are a lot of Sinnoh fans who've seen the previous three sets of remakes and expressed their hopes for Sinnoh being remade too.
Yes, but considering that nintendo now only has one console and that Pokémon is no longer exclusively handheld, it was assumed that sales would increase. So I’m not sure that the eighth generation was more successful than the previous ones.

For instance, Pokémon Sun and Moon and Pokémon X and Y were the best selling games in 3DS. Pokemon Sword and Shield is nowhere near that on the switch.
I think Sword and Shield have sold enough many units to prove they're very successful games.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom