• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

The main question I've always wondered: What would Game Freak have to do to make the general fan base not want to buy their mainline games?

I mean, I know there are easy ways to do it (offensive content, etc.) - but they sound so ridiculous that they'd never do them anyways.

I don't blame him for feeling this way, just that it alienates a good portion of people that like post-game content. Also, the Defeatist ability thing was a joke.
I think you may have misread; I was saying that people are blaming him for imposing this view on everything rather than just with the topic of conversation in that particular interview, which was the Battle Frontier.

I gathered that the Defeatist thing was a quip, haha. It’s cool, I’ve seen far worse jokes than that.

Reading through this interview, it appears that was a joke referencing the large amount of content put in those games. I don't see how adding tons of content equates greed; one could argue the opposite.
Question: How do you think the Dress Up/Dance Competitions of Contests are gonna work? Will they be modified to fit 3D graphics, or be replaced with something else?
I could see the dress-up portion functioning similar to the Alolan Photo Club while dancing just uses move animations rather than jumping/moving side-to-side.

Reading through this interview, it appears that was a joke referencing the large amount of content put in those games. I don't see how adding tons of content equates greed; one could argue the opposite.

I could see the dress-up portion functioning similar to the Alolan Photo Club while dancing just uses move animations rather than jumping/moving side-to-side.

I interpret it as saying they liked putting a lot if content.
And that's what should happen with new remakes.

The main question I've always wondered: What would Game Freak have to do to make the general fan base not want to buy their mainline games?

I mean, I know there are easy ways to do it (offensive content, etc.) - but they sound so ridiculous that they'd never do them anyways.

That's an interesting question! For me personally, I think the only things that could deter me from buying the games would be an increase in anti-consumer practices (for example, if they introduced in-game purchases or something similar), or an increased focus on multiplayer elements. I want the games I buy to be a full experience, not something I need to purchase more content for later. And I want to be able to enjoy playing them alone without feeling like I'm missing out on anything too major, especially now there's a fee for online play (I've never subscribed to Switch Online and don't intend to).

Sword and Shield tested my patience a little, with the DLC feeling somewhat like an in-game purchase, and the Max Raid battles being very multiplayer-orientated. But I love the region, Pokemon, characters and story far too much to let those issues spoil my enjoyment of the game. I think things would have to get a lot worse before I ever considered not buying the games any more. It tends to be Pokemon's business decisions that bother me, while the creative aspects of the games continue to excel.

I have considered the possibility of "retiring" from playing the new games once they move onto the next console, but that has nothing to do with Game Freak or the quality or the games, and everything to do with the fact that buying new consoles just to play Pokemon (like I've been doing) makes for a very expensive hobby!

Last edited:

In the interest of keeping on-topic, I’ll answer what would specifically make me not purchase BDSP:

1) Price-gouging. I think $60 is reasonable for a Triple A title. Arbitrarily making them significantly more or suddenly adding in a bevy of micro transactions would severely turn me off.

2) Lack of any QoL improvement. They’ve already promised this, so I’m not too worried. But obviously things need to be up-to-date with what we have come to expect from modern Pokémon games. No regression, please.

3) Severe lack of / cut content. Again, I don’t foresee this being an issue since even DP had plenty of content and presumably they are just going to build even more on top of that.

4) A drastic negative change to the formula. Change is good, and change keeps things fresh. But there are certain directions they could steer the game in that would completely turn me off. There are often complaints about Pokémon using the same old formula all the time, but there are some things that just work and don’t need to be fixed.

And that’s really it. In retrospect, a lot of these things could apply to almost any Pokémon game. But so far, I’m not worried about any of them being an issue in BDSP.

I initially skipped LGPE and only bought it because it was 50% off. My reason? Too much cut content and getting sick of Kanto.

I would buy BD in a heartbeat if it adds a good amount of content, but if they can't be bothered to use SwSh's graphics and introduce new designs for the protagonists, I doubt they would bother adding much content.

How well did previous remakes sell, especially HGSS?

How well did previous remakes sell, especially HGSS?

FRLG - 8 Million
HGSS - 12 Million
ORAS - 14 Million
Let's Go - 12 Million.

Oras sales were lucky as they came off the back of the Pokemon Go boost. Before it, it was tracking around 10-11 million lifetime.

For me, It's what Gamefreak has to do right to get me to buy a game. I refuse to buy any Pokemon game that doesn't have following Pokemon and modern graphics. Following Pokemon is a new thing for me considering how well it worked in Let's Go. Pokemon games shouldn't be without it now.

Question: How do you think the Dress Up/Dance Competitions of Contests are gonna work? Will they be modified to fit 3D graphics, or be replaced with something else?

I don't see any reason they'd be replaced. The original idea works out pretty fine in 3D. I feel like the dress up could be similar to the character customization from recent games, where we just select what we want them to wear from a list of clothes. Dancing easily just be changed to reflect the bottoms on the joycons since there's no bottom screen to tap.

Since Prof Rowan studies evolution, will he be interested in Mega Evolution?
At the very least, I'll think he'll mention Professor Sycamore. Maybe we'll even get some Kalos references here and there or even Mega Evolution as a side quest/post game quest.

Since Prof Rowan studies evolution, will he be interested in Mega Evolution?
No, that's Sycamore's thing. He shouldn't move on his student's territory. I do wonder if they'll change his line from Pt where he speculates the reason Legendaries are Legendary is because they don't evolve.

I feel like there's a lot of "younger" people who never played D/P before so already a lot will find this their 1st game.

Just not in this forum. In this forum, I think only 2 people have posted they never played D/P/P before, likely because they were too young. So wow, this forum really is full of oldies?

It's been about 10 years, and D/P were never in a Nintendo eShop so I think either way, there will be lots of sales.

(Point being if this remake were only like 4 years apart, then of course they would have to make it extensive remake.).

FRLG - 8 Million
HGSS - 12 Million
ORAS - 14 Million
Let's Go - 12 Million.

Oras sales were lucky as they came off the back of the Pokemon Go boost. Before it, it was tracking around 10-11 million lifetime.
Let's Go sold 13 Million actually. And ORAS came out in 2014, two years before Pokemon Go was released. When it comes to sales, Pokemon games tend to be very frontloaded so it's highly unlikely ORAS sold additional 3-4 million because of Go's popularity. If anything, Sun/Moon and Let's Go games were the ones who benefitted from it (Let's Go outsold FRLG for example).

I feel like there's a lot of "younger" people who never played D/P before so already a lot will find this their 1st game.

Just not in this forum. In this forum, I think only 2 people have posted they never played D/P/P before, likely because they were too young. So wow, this forum really is full of oldies?

It's been about 10 years, and D/P were never in a Nintendo eShop so I think either way, there will be lots of sales.

(Point being if this remake were only like 4 years apart, then of course they would have to make it extensive remake.).
Making it a faithful remake for the younger generation who have never played it before and/or people who missed out on the DS games makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if the gameplay turned out exactly how I remember it.

However, I do hope they didn't make it too faithful to the point of faithfully reproducing all the problems that existed in the Sinnoh games.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom