• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Books Your Unpopular Book/Literature Opinions

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is boring, it keeps trying to outdo how weird it is from one second to the next that it turns into a slog imo, and the character designs are all kind of ugly looking (also something something pointless jabs the fandom something something). As far as books go I never liked John Green's work, maybe it has to do with the books not being written for me, or maybe it's because of some issues I have with him as a person but they never clicked with me the way they did most other people my age. Also this isn't really focused on any one story in particular but I've always despised Elves being portrayed as what amounts to "Humans but better" since they inevitably come across as self-righteous, holier-than-thou, and wholly unlikeable.

As much as I like Les Miserables and Hunchback of Notre Dame, Victor Hugo really could have benefited from cutting out certain chapters, such as ones describing sewer systems and churches.

I don't know how unpopular an opinion this is, but I found this cute book called Little Witch by Anna Elizabeth Bennett, and I find it pretty adorable. I kinda wish it was more well known.

I don't really like the newer chapters of pokemon adventures, anyone agree? I just think that the plot is boring, also i liked the mato volumes the most, the cute artstyle was really appealing and it felt more fresh than the others, adding a plot to a game without one instead of changing the plot of the games slightly

I recently discovered this new manga called Beyond The Clouds: The Girl Who Fell From The Sky by Nicke, and it's really, really adorable! It's rather obscure and only just started getting released in the US, but the story is really cute and engaging, with a lot of neat worldbuilding so far. It needs more love!

In contrast, I re-read the Tokyo Mew Mew manga and finally finished the anime, and I'm not gonna lie, the manga is really flawed. It focuses only on Ichigo and Masaya, the other main characters don't get any development at all and are just there to be Ichigo's props, the story is kind of all over the place, and the art was really unpolished at times. The anime actually rectified a lot of the manga's characterization problems and put in a lot of effort to flesh out the rest of the cast, even in its filler episodes. TMM is one of the few times where I feel the anime is better than its original source material.

i hated the great gatsby. i also really don't like shakespeare.

i hate that books will sometimes get censored when they're brought to the us. i was so disappointed when the amber spyglass cut a pretty vital paragraph about lyra's feelings for will, solely because i guess the us publishers thought it would be too inappropriate? makes me wonder what else gets cut when authors from abroad get republished in the us.

also a petty one, but i hate when books i'm collecting start a new cover art trend. i like it when my covers match...

New stuff:

1. Get a Grip, Vivy Cohen by Sarah Kapit is great! It's about an autistic girl who wants to join a baseball team and become a knuckleballer. I didn't think I'd like this one, since I tend to hate sports and books about sports (I had to read Shoeless Joe for a college assignment and I absolutely hated it), but I really liked it! More people should read it!
2. I don't think Gone With The Wind is the masterpiece people are making it out to be. It grossly romanticizes slavery and the Civil War, a good chunk of the main characters are either despicable human beings or annoying as hell, the book takes forever to do just about anything (Seriously, a crap ton of chapters could easily be cut down to just a sentence or removed entirely), and it's just a slog to get through.
3. Circe by Madeline Miller also suffers from nothing happening, hateful characters with no depth, and being a slog to read, which is a shame because I did genuinely like Circe as a character and sympathized with her plight.

1. Amal Unbound is an absolutely amazing book, and I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more love. Yeah, it's writing is very simple, what with it being a middle grade novel and all, but I think the simple writing works in making the serious issues it tackles more accessible to kids. Seriously, more people should read it!
2. To Kill a Mockingbird didn't really grab me. I mean, I liked it well enough, but I didn't really love it.
3. The novelization The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: The Secret of the Realms by Meredith Rusu is really, really good. It deserves so much more love, and I already wanted to see the movie long before reading it.

I Recommend E. T. A. Hoffmann's story "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King". the original nutcracker

Hunger Games is overrated. The first book is amazing, but the other two get ruined by the love triangle and take away from what made the first so great. Suzanne Collins other series The Sunderland Chronicles is way better in just about every way.

Twilight is actually good. The books at least. The movies did not do them justice.

Probably not an unpopular opinion but rather a misconception, Adult romance novels actually tend to have good stories and are not all adult scenes. In fact some have less and less adult scenes as the series progress. Later books in series that center on the same characters develop the characters and tend to delve more and more into who they are.

i rather read the real i mean original hunger games anyway which is Battle Royale (Japanese: バトル・ロワイアル, Hepburn: Batoru Rowaiaru) by Japanese author Koushun Takami. which is actually a mixture of hunger games and lord of the flies its also was a movie in 2000 its on tubi if your interested

As people go, I'm nowhere near a voracious reader nor a cultured consumer in general of media and the arts. I know there are people who read quite a bit basically every day, and others who go years without reading much outside of necessity. I'm somewhere in between : )

That out of the way, the biggest, maybe only unpopular opinion that comes to mind is one I have been wondering about, so it might be good to share in this avenue. And out my relative dearth.

I quite like the genre of science fiction. I think it's fecund exploration grounds for a variety of themes and mechanisms regarding personkind, and technological and societal trends. One of the few universes I've actually read is the Duniverse. I've read all the expanded universe mainline books -- with the early stage-setting prequels, the immediate prequels, and the split-parter finale. I believe I've read all the original series. Most of all this was through middle and high school.

The thing is, I greatly enjoyed the expanded verse, written by the child of the original author and a co-author, based primarily on the worldbuilding notes left by the parent. It seems the most common sentiment among the (well-read, better-read, more communicative?) readership of the series is that the expanded universe is more or less a poorer rendition.

I'd actually love to get feedback on this, if anyone has read of the Dune series and sees this. : D

I dislike Ender's Game. It had the right idea, but was executed very poorly. There is almost no plot or any sort of storyline, the terrible excuse for character developement is basically just the main character never running into problems and just climbing up in the ranks. There is barely any bad things that happen aside from the main character getting "bullied" every few chapters. It just was boring and painful to read. Again, I like the idea. I'm watching the movie this upcoming friday so hopefully it'll be better than the book.

I used to love The Chronicles of Narnia but now....

They just don't hold up. At all. I mean, I went back and reread The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and I found it to be bland. Even worse was the fact that one of the major plot points didn't even have to happen. (Seriously, it didn't have to be Aslan as the sacrifice. It could have been Peter; the Deep Magic literally said that it had to be an innocent being who went in the traitor's stead. Aslan could have sat this out!)

Children’s books > any other books

I’m sorry, but I’m a really lazy reader who finds it hard to invest in something that doesn’t have pictures or somewhat big words. I mean, I can read stuff if it’s neither of those, but only if it’s a topic that greatly interests me.

I don't really like the newer chapters of pokemon adventures, anyone agree? I just think that the plot is boring, also i liked the mato volumes the most, the cute artstyle was really appealing and it felt more fresh than the others, adding a plot to a game without one instead of changing the plot of the games slightly

Also, this. I have many reasons why I have decided to stop at 52 volumes. I’d go on, but I’d be here for a long time so I’ll stop.

Great Expectations is boring, in my opinion. Don't know how unpopular that opinion is.
As much as I like Les Miserables and Hunchback of Notre Dame, Victor Hugo really could have benefited from cutting out certain chapters, such as ones describing sewer systems and churches.
Wait Victor Hugo wrote both of them?! Wow, I didn't know that.

I don't really have unpopular opinions as much as my favorite series are kinda niche.
I don't really have strong opinions on books/literature. I like a lot of classic literature, but at the same time, there are some things I just can't get into.

Great Expectations is boring, in my opinion. Don't know how unpopular that opinion is.

I remember hating having to read that when I was in high school. I found it way too much of a slog, and a lot of things in it went way over my head.

i dont think its unpopular to say dickens is a bit of a slog in 2022. he wrote for an audience who essentially had nothing but literature to occupy their time. most classics, i find, are this way, at least english-language ones

Anthem by Ayn Rand isn't so deep and profound as it's made out to be. It pisses on the concept of collectivism as some evil soldier of satan and treats individualism as if it's totally infallible. No one system has all the answers. Also, if the whole point of everyone being assigned numbers for names was to highlight that collectivism is supposedly some soulless machine, why were there whole ass words prefixing the numbers? Why even bother with the numbers?

This is a grievance I have in general, but it's seriously annoying when you just wanna read a book from your childhood for old time's sake and then people act like it'll set your reading comprehension back by a decade. If you never read anything thought-provoking or remotely challenging, of course that's not going to help, but reading one Diary of a Wimpy Kid book isn't going to put your IQ in the single digits like my dad seems to think.

ready player one is overrated. such a fucking cool concept but wade felt like the author's self insert everything from the first key on

i agree that the cursed child is simply terribly written and breaks so many rules of the series' world and generally just... does not make sense at all, and i don't even care for the original series. (i loved it when i was younger, and then i grew up and realized how many negative stereotypes about other cultures rowling actually put into those books, so... sigh.)

i also think a wrinkle in time is not necessarily overrated but it really really was not for me, i suppose

1982 was just. absolutely blegh. i can't stomach orwell's works as a general rule but this one was just rough. the ending especially left such an incredibly sour taste in my mouth.

Back
Top Bottom