• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you like if Pokémon add a new type?

Would you like if Pokémon add a new type?

• The type chart is perfect as it is.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I would like a new type (Please say what type would you like, and if you want it's strengths/weaks).

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • For me is the same.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • It was perfect without the Fairy type.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • It was perfect without the Dark and Steel types.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The type chart has issues, but a new type is not a solution.

Votes: 23 42.6%

• Total voters
I would like to see a Light-type added to the type chart.

Attack-wise, it would be strong against Dark, Ghost, and Fairy-type Pokémon. It would be weak against Water, Ice, and Steel-type Pokémon, and would not affect Grass-type Pokémon.

Defensively, it would be strong against Dark, Ghost, and Fairy-type attacks. It would be weak to Psychic, Steel, and Grass-type attacks.

While adding another new type would definitely open up some new ideas creatively, as well fill in a couple existing gaps (e.g. Cyber-type Porygon line), I really don't think it would solve some of the issues the chart already has. What really needs to be done is balancing out the existing types, so there's no longer any that are visibly better/worse than others.

Fighting and Ground hit five different types super-effectively, while Poison is super-effective on only two (one before Gen VI). Electric only has one weakness, but Grass and Rock both have five fairly common weaknesses, as well as frequent dual weaknesses on top of that. Steel resists TEN different types (11 before Gen VI!), while poor Ice still only resists itself. Not to mention Ghost and Dark are nearly identical.

There's probably more examples like this that I'm forgetting; the point is, we mostly just need a rework of what's already there, before adding anything else into the mix.

Besides... it's been almost 8 years since X/Y came out and I honestly still can't remember off the top of my head most of Fairy's type properties. So as much as I like the concept of something "abstract" like a Sound or Cosmic type, trying to figure out what it's weak to/effective against would be a nightmare to me. :confused:

Here's the changes I would make to the type chart:
  • Remove Fairy's resistance to Bug. Seriously, it feels like it was only done for the sake of giving Fairy another resistance. Instead, I'd make Fairy resist itself.
  • Make Steel resist Ghost again.
  • Make Bug resist Dark and Psychic.
  • Make Ice resist Dragon.

Something i want to see is the rubber type, adding another immunity to electric types, resistant to normal, fighting, and steel, but vulnerable to grass. Maybe to rock and ice as well. Drifloon and the jigglypuff line would be rubber tpes.

I used to think Cosmic-type would have been brilliant to add in Gen 3 since there are space-themed Pokemon such as Solrock/Lunatone, Deoxys, Jirachi, and arguably Rayquaza. But then in Gen 7 came the Ultra Beasts, so I'm not so sure any more.

Some arrangements to the current type chart would be helpful. Especially for Bug and Ice.

Well, I would like them to add the Plasma type, which would be resistant to fire and electricity but having the Water type, but both the Fairy type and the Dragon type are their weaknesses.
It would work more for the TCG than for the main games

Rubber is pretty resilient IIRC which is why Grass struck me as an odd choice, especially considering it comes form plants (at least, natural rubber does). I'd imagine Fire would be a weakness given rubber degrades due to heat.
Ice would also be a logical weakness since rubber doesn’t tend to do well in harsh cold. It could also be strong against water to reference pollution.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom