• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think this Sugimori sketch is supposed to be Giovanni as a kid?

Novia

Reaction score
Comparison of a sketch made by Sugimori of the original Viridian Gym Leader, who was originally meant to be challenged first, and Giovanni’s sprite in Red and Blue. Am I the only one who thinks that the kid on the left is simply Giovanni as a kid? I mean, their eyes and poses are exactly the same, and they both bear some kind of logo/patch on their shirts.

Source:
View: https://twitter.com/super_32x/status/611129653110026241?s=21

A3D20A2D-6ECC-4E63-8281-24B9819F680A.jpeg

I'm not sure it's meant to be him, but given that this youngster character was likely intended to be the Viridian Gym Leader, it seems very probable that the concept was shifted into Giovanni at some point in development. I'm not sure if this was ever confirmed or if it was just sensible, widespread speculation, but I think the idea was that you would face the youngster in the 'normal' Gym order, i.e. first.

Last edited:
IIRC, wasn't his type specialty Bug? Which would make sense considering he was going to be the first leader.

Also, I can't remember if him and Giovanni existed together at one point, but my memory of the asset leak is kinda fuzzy right now.

It could be Bugsy, with a different design.
Don't think so, considering beta Bugsy was... completely different. Looked like a showman or something and his gym was full of girls.

EDIT: Or maybe you're right on the money and they did the same thing Zelda and FF do and recycle beta elements for future use.

Last edited:
this does look very similar maybe they wanted to put a backstory to how Giovanni joined team rocket but scrapped it due to maybe memory reasons .

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom