• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you prefer a remarkable Ash-father or a unremarkable Ash-father

Given the anime has gone nearly twenty five years with only one line in the second episode attributed to mentioning or characterising Ash’s father, I’m perfectly fine if he’s never mentioned or alluded to again. Maybe there’s some bigger scope reason for his absence like time travel, but Ash, Delia, Oak and Gary have never mentioned him or alluded to his absence in their lives. Maybe if Ash had acted like he was trying to impress an absent or emotionally absent father, but the closest we get to Ash’s paternity is in the Pokemon Live stage performance (which is of dubious canon anyway). I haven’t seen the Secrets of the Jungle movie as it’s not available where I am.

That raises the question of Gary’s parents. His sister isn’t even adapted into the anime. The games don’t do anything to explain it either, so most likely they died and the lack of a parental figure besides Oak could have contributed to the egocentric personality Gary has during the Indigo League. Delia as a maternal figure for Gary as he and Ash were growing up is another interesting potential backstory even though they don’t interact at all.

That raises the question of Gary’s parents. His sister isn’t even adapted into the anime. The games don’t do anything to explain it either, so most likely they died and the lack of a parental figure besides Oak could have contributed to the egocentric personality Gary has during the Indigo League.
It's explained in Pokémon Zensho that Daisy and Blue's parents died in a car accident, so it's likely the same applies to Gary's parents.

I'm pretty sure we'll never actually see him so it doesn't matter but just for the sake of this topic I'm leaning on him being unremarkable as a trainer. I would actually love if he gave up on training completely if he does appear so that he'll be the anti-Ash. I don't want him to be some superior trainer who Ash has to face at the end though because that would make Ash's dad feel like a Mary Sue and would add insult to injury after his 20+ year absence.

I personally prefer an unremarkable Ash father. I mean, I'm pretty sure it was implied once before-either in an interview or implications between the lines from episodes-that Ash's dad wasn't a great trainer-in fact, he was a failure. And, quite honestly, I feel that's rather deserved: if he's some great trainer with either a good personality OR a bad personality(personally, the first one is bad on so many levels...) then that would be basically justifying his absence from Ash's life and Delia's. Delia doesn't get enough respect as a mother, both by the fandom and by the writers of the anime themselves.

It might be because I have a bit of a grudge against dads who just aren't there for their families, whether they have good intentions or not. A remarkable Ash father just makes me think of Ging Freecss from HunterXHunter(search this guy up, seriously...) and just...yeah, no. Either or, if he DOES end up showing up the anime, I'm going to upset, because this mysterious guy feels like a deadbeat. Again, like I said, good intentioned or not-deadbeat.

Unremarkable is better. I always thought Ash's dad might have turned out to be a bum who quit during his journey and was too ashamed to face his family. So kinda like Brock's dad. :p

My headcanon is...
images (10).jpeg

Sully Snowdon.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom