• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

- Whitney is hard cuz her Miltank's moveset is pretty crazy, and it's a pokemon that is tanky, deals some good damage, is fast, and heals itself easily.
Which makes it kinda ironic that in the anime, Whitney's Miltank was tough for Ash with a moveset that was anything but diverse: it kept beating everything with just Rollout.

And speaking of Whitney, she's one of only three Gym Leaders whom Ash has been allowed to battle with more Pokémon than they use, using three Pokémon against Miltank in their rematch. The other two are Roxie (6 vs 3) and Grant (3 vs 2).

Serena is still the only female companion to not get shocked by Pikachu. Why, I honestly dont know
Are you sure
EsKzpDrW4AIcOkb

Even then, Counter deals fixed damage so the Fighting-type attached to it doesn’t matter.
Also, while this more of a game fun fact, well, here's a fun fact lol:

Not only is Riolu the only Fighting type available in game before Cheren, but if you see in this image, in BW, it learns Force Palm at level 11, and Feint at level 15. This was swapped in BW2, with Feint being learned at level 11 and then Force Palm being learned at level 15.

What that means, you may ask? Considering that Cheren's strongest Pokemon is his Level 10 Lilipup, you don't have access to egg moves, no Fighting TMs being available that early, and that grinding to level 15 so Riolu gets Force Palm is nearly impossible, this was made especifically so you don't have a Fighting STAB against Cheren, thus making his battle VERY hard lol.

RioluMovesetGEN5.jpg

Also, while this more of a game fun fact, well, here's a fun fact lol:

Not only is Riolu the only Fighting type available in game before Cheren, but if you see in this image, in BW, it learns Force Palm at level 11, and Feint at level 15. This was swapped in BW2, with Feint being learned at level 11 and then Force Palm being learned at level 15.

What that means, you may ask? Considering that Cheren's strongest Pokemon is his Level 10 Lilipup, you don't have access to egg moves, no Fighting TMs being available that early, and that grinding to level 15 so Riolu gets Force Palm is nearly impossible, this was made especifically so you don't have a Fighting STAB against Cheren, thus making his battle VERY hard lol.

I know about this cuz of my B2 playtrough.

This is kinda partially game trivia too, but I like how different Pokémon canons can influence each other, like the anime influencing the games. We obviously know that Yellow (and thus also Let's Go) had anime references aplenty, but those are not the only ones. For example, here's some major game character team members heavily influenced by the anime.

* In Stadium, Brock uses a Vulpix and Giovanni uses a Persian, just like in the anime.
* In Stadium 2, Misty uses a Togetic, a reference to her Togepi from the anime.
* In HeartGold and SoulSilver, Clair replaces one of her Dragonair from Generation II with a Gyarados, just like she uses a Gyarados in the anime.

Also, a weird fact: while Misty obtained a Gyarados in the anime during the early days of Generation III, she didn't use one in the games until Let's Go. Not even in the Stadium games or the PWT.

This is kinda partially game trivia too, but I like how different Pokémon canons can influence each other, like the anime influencing the games. We obviously know that Yellow (and thus also Let's Go) had anime references aplenty, but those are not the only ones. For example, here's some major game character team members heavily influenced by the anime.

* In Stadium, Brock uses a Vulpix and Giovanni uses a Persian, just like in the anime.
* In HeartGold and SoulSilver, Clair replaces one of her Dragonair from Generation II with a Gyarados, just like she uses a Gyarados in the anime.

Also, a weird fact: while Misty obtained a Gyarados in the anime during the early days of Generation III, she didn't use one in the games until Let's Go. Not even in the Stadium games or the PWT.
Relatedly, XD also references James' AG party; there was a trainer using a Cacnea and a Chimecho who says she heard there was a trainer somewhere else with the same Pokémon combination and asks if you know him or her.

Relatedly, XD also references James' AG party; there was a trainer using a Cacnea and a Chimecho who says she heard there was a trainer somewhere else with the same Pokémon combination and asks if you know him or her.
Oh, right. Forgot to mention that one. They also say a direct translation of "Yana kanji!" when defeated

In Lets Go, Misty used Psyduck instead of Staryu in her first battle. Her sisters were the gym trainers.

I really like it if the games acknowledge the anime like that.

In Lets Go, Misty used Psyduck instead of Staryu in her first battle. Her sisters were the gym trainers.

I really like it if the games acknowledge the anime like that.
I think it's even implied that Misty didn't intend to send Psyduck out into battle, he just popped out of his Pokeball on his own. Which is something he did in fact do a lot in the OS.

Serena is still the only female companion to not get shocked by Pikachu. Why, I honestly dont know
The reason why is that she was not there at the time. Remember, this happened in the first episode of the XY anime; Bonnie and Clement both saved Ash and Pikachu from falling after they were ejected from the Gym. Pikachu shocked Bonnie because he was being squeezed too hard, if I recall correctly.
Serena doesn't meet up with Ash, Clement, and Bonnie until Santelune City.

Fire Blast is known as Daimonji in Japanese. The "Dai" in front stands for "Big" (大), which explains the Fire Blast animation in the games and the anime, which is literally a blast of fire in the shape of the character for "Big" (大).

When Ash battles Blaine, Charizard catches Magmar's Fire Blast and tosses it away. As the Fire Blast flies further away, the size shrinks and changes to the words "Middle" (中) and eventually "Small" (小) before disappearing.

Fire Blast is known as Daimonji in Japanese. The "Dai" in front stands for "Big" (大), which explains the Fire Blast animation in the games and the anime, which is literally a blast of fire in the shape of the character for "Big" (大).
I’m pretty sure that’s common knowledge by now but I like how using the Dynamax band shows the same kanji symbol as well, since it’s Daimax in Japanese.

Virgil had the entire Eevee family minus Sylveon in BW. The interesting thing, is that the 7 evolved Eevees were all male, while the only non-evolved was female.

Which means his team had the proportion of 1 female to 7 males, or 12,5% female and 87,5% male. What makes this interesting is that it's the exact same gender ratio that Eevee has in the games, so it's a little reference to that.

Last edited:
Mato, of the Pokémon Adventures fame, once drew artworks of Ash and friends during the early years of the anime for a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book in Japan. The book is extremely rare, and there exist no Bulbapedia articles about it, not even on Mato's article.

View attachment 141567

Someone should really make an article for this as it is part of Pokémon history.
There is a strange picture with shows the main characters of Pokemon anime drawed by Mato the mangaka who drew Pokespe from the RBG saga trough RuSa.

View attachment 132535

Unlucky for me the picture does not show Team Rocket Trio

Back
Top Bottom