• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Reunion of the Past, Present, and Future!? VS Kairyu!! (Fake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
and what would that be within the plot of the episode itself, other than the past companion returning? another 37 repeat?
What's wrong with a past companion returning? Isn't that what fans have been wanting for years now?

I still don't get why people are upset at episode 37. So far most if not all the "returning main character" episodes/arcs have heavily focused on the old characters interacting with the new ones, I'd say that's even their selling point to some extent. I'd even say it also works the best as a reintroduction to characters that haven't been on screen for years, since the newer characters in some way act as a proxy to the newer members of the audience.

Okay, after looking at those pics for a little while, I have this theory:

Ash and Goh will just go to Unova for whatever reason, and Goh sees a Pokémon just out and about in a forest (Emolga?), tries to capture and either of the following happens:

a) He misses the shot and the ball hits Iris;
b) The Pokémon moves out of the way and hits Iris;
c) Iris jumps is front of the ball without knowing;
d) He mistakes her for a Pokémon and throws the ball at her forehead; (possible BW Ash reference?)

By the stills in the bottom corner, she prob talks to him after he hits her forehead with the ball and juding b the one in the top corner, she probably sees Ash and gets surprised. Then Goh gets dumbfounded by their reunion, and we get the flashback in the center.

But interesting enough, apparently one of the text parts does leaves it pretty ambiguos whether or not Axew evolved... And the fact that in this picture, Axew only appears in the flashback shot does raises an eyebrow :unsure: :unsure:

Last edited:
But interesting enough, apparently one of the text parts does leaves it pretty ambiguos wether or not Axew evolved... Adn the fact that in this picture, Axew only appears in the flashback shot does raises an eyebrow :unsure: :unsure:
It could just be hiding in her hair in the present shots.

okay so i just recalled that Iris was one of the people who scolded Ash for simply tossing Pokeballs without battling. if Iris witnesses Goh doing the same and she doesn't make even slightest negative comment then I call it shit writing
And then watch her be surprised that Goh actually succeeds in catching Pokémon that way. Either way, I can already practically hear her calling Goh a kid.

okay so i just recalled that Iris was one of the people who scolded Ash for simply tossing Pokeballs without battling. if Iris witnesses Goh doing the same and she doesn't make even slightest negative comment then I call it shit writing
What about Goh not going for even one Pokémon in her presence?

I still don't get why people are upset at episode 37. So far most if not all the "returning main character" episodes/arcs have heavily focused on the old characters interacting with the new ones, I'd say that's even their selling point to some extent. I'd even say it also works the best as a reintroduction to characters that haven't been on screen for years, since the newer characters in some way act as a proxy to the newer members of the audience.
I think because Alola has a different case from most companion returns, it’s less of a "reuniting companions" and more of a "Ash reunited with his family", because their dynamic was not that of companions it was that of close family and an almost sibling like bond. I'm pretty sure they call Ash Rei's older brother (I don’t remember that part clearly).

And the "newer members of the audience" bit doesn’t make much sense as a justification to lopside balance in Gou's favour since JN immediately follows SM, so most of the target audience already knows Sun/Moon probably exists and what it was about (specially due to Ash winning the league).

And then watch her be surprised that Goh actually succeeds in catching Pokémon that way. Either way, I can already practically hear her calling Goh a kid.
I somehow think she’ll be impressed by Gou instead of calling him a kid, but if that happens I might actually tune in to watch the dub (the "You’re a kid!" Line is dub only right? Or is it featured in Japanese as well?).

I think most people were just disappointed that the entire Alola reunion plot got crammed into one single episode, with the Gou focus in that episode being the main scapegoat for the lack of screentime on everything else. On one hand, I enjoyed seeing Gou interact with Ash's Alola companions, and I definitely agree that these kinds of interactions are the main selling point of "returning character" episodes. Simply shifting episode 37's focus from Gou to Ash wouldn't have instantly made the episode better for me, since I enjoy watching characters from different series interacting with each other. On the other hand, the Alola reunion plot definitely could've benefitted from having two or more episodes allocated for it (I guess the same could be same for most episodes in this series, but for fan-favorite plots like returning characters, I think it's especially important).

With that said, I don't think this episode will have the same issues that episode 37 did. We're only dealing with one returning character here, and it's highly implied that the main focus of the episode will be the battle between both Dragonite, so I think the focus in this episode is gonna be fairly equally shared between the featured characters.

IRIS LOOKS SO CUTE!!! And it sounds like she's definitely a PWC entrant, which I am absolutely HERE for! It's such a great opportunity to show off how Iris has grown as a trainer since we last saw her, and getting to see a former female companion be involved with the main competition of the series is awesome.

And of course the redrawn flashback :bulbaLove: I love when they do that! It's so fun to see old moments recreated to match the latest style of the anime. Also, lovely to see a little Cilan cameo!

What next, is he gonna fry Misty’s bike?

Aww man I was gonna say this! :ROFLMAO:

I'm honestly not bothered by them repeating gags of how Ash met some of his friends. I actually think it's pretty funny, and Goh throwing a poke ball at Iris, presumably because he thinks it's a Pokémon and is always throwing poke balls without much of a second thought, is kind of great.

But yeah, if they're gonna keep that up, Misty better not bring her bike when and if she shows up, lol.

I thought my post showed pretty clearly it’s a hyperbole. But the actual point behind that (when it’s not taken literally) still stands that in my opinion Journeys has totally and utterly failed Ash's Pokemon at screentime and team dynamics.. I’ve made quite a few posts about that in the evolution capture release thread.

Dragonite is probably the best handled in this pathetic bunch in my opinion. (Yes, in my opinion the journeys team situation is nothing short of pathetic, specially in the aspects Sun/Moon so beautifully mastered). Dragonite is for me the only one who received organic focus without having a dedicated "focus episode".
Journeys likes to pretend that giving 1-2 focus episodes to a Pokémon while putting it in the background for the rest (to the point where one starts to doubt if the Pokémon in question even exists or not) is enough but it is not for me.

Gou's Pokémon being background characters is understandable to an extent but I despise the fact that it’s happening to Ash's Pokemon when he only has five if you ignore Pikachu.
Ah, you had used the word “literally” so I didn’t realize you were using hyperbole. But in fairness I’d still disagree to an extent. I feel like Gengar and Dracovish are the only two that haven’t gotten enough focus as of now. Farfetch’d started out that way, but has since been redeemed (at least in my eyes). Still hope for Gengar getting focus in a G-Max episode, and I believe Dracovish might finally be getting some soon.
@swiftgallade46 Does this count as enough verification of the episode's authenticity?
Not quite yet. It doesn’t mention a title or ep#, as far as I can tell.
I didn’t imply that they were replacing Ash with Go (honestly I’d probably drop the anime if they did since I don’t find he could carry the anime with how they write him as a trainer), I just find the parallels that they keep doing to be both annoying and forced since it feels like rather than having him be his own person like every past character, they want to step on Ash’s toes like Go’s supposed to be some special parallel to Ash. Give him his own things completely devoid of parallels.
I don’t think the parallels really matter in the grand scheme of things. Ash and Goh have already been shown to be vastly different and unique characters with very different goals. The only fundamental things they have in common are being 10 year old boys from Kanto. So if they repeat a few gags here and there with Goh instead of Ash as callbacks to older series, I don’t mind it personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom