• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

National Dex in Scarlet and Violet?

I think to some extent the whole dexit thing's problem was that the massive playable cast was one of the series' main strengths and losing that is pretty painful for a series that is arguably still stuck somewhere around Gamecube/PS2 era game design and is very slow to add new, permanent features.
It's like cutting off your leg and then trying to ride a unicycle.

B. If I do happen to want a specific Pokemon to fill a role on my team, and it's one of the ones cut, obviously I'm gonna be annoyed. Why should I have to make do with a "good enough" substitute? I can understand that logic.
Because in return, we're already seeing bigger and better games like PLA and (hopefully) SV.

Gen V had a really good batch of Pokémon! It’s sad that it got so much hate when first revealed.
i see so many brain-dead “wow haha ice cream and gears they’re really out of ideas” takes, even nowadays
i was never in that camp but i just really sped through black & white and never really found the pokemon interesting
i think years later i would die for alomomola or deerling

And we're also seeing SwSh and BDSP. It's a false premise to assume that eliminating the National Dex automatically translates to bigger or better games.
True enough, but I also doubt it's just a coincidence that PLA and SV are happening right after the dex cut.

True enough, but I also doubt it's just a coincidence that PLA and SV are happening right after the dex cut.
And I think it's a step too far to attribute the increase in quality (and with Legends it can debated whether there is actually much of one) to the dex cut. We should be expecting this level of polish whether or not the dex was cut. If you're playing in the AAA space, people get to have AAA expectations.

I think to some extent the whole dexit thing's problem was that the massive playable cast was one of the series' main strengths and losing that is pretty painful for a series that is arguably still stuck somewhere around Gamecube/PS2 era game design and is very slow to add new, permanent features.
It's like cutting off your leg and then trying to ride a unicycle.

Especially since it presumably cost the quality of an entire generation to be sacrificed for the next one. I like SwSh and am currently enjoying Legends: Arceus, but with the release window of Arceus vs SV’s announcement and how SwSh’s content didn’t match up to the reasons given for Dexit, it’s clear to me that Gen 8 got the short end of the stick. And don’t even get me started on how uninspired BDSP seems to be.

It’s a shame that things had to happen this way, as it perfectly illustrates how unsustainable the three-year-generation cycle really is.

2. Competitive. The seasons for Competitive were varied with each series, and it let some niche pokemon like Vileplume of all things do well (until venusaur returned)

3. Do we really need 1000 pokemon all in one game? When was the last time you used more than 20 in a single playthrough? Even in 5 playthroughs where you use 6 unique pokemon every time you only use 30 (plus evolutions)

I get that some people want to take their favorites with them into every game but this also means you get to branch out and find new favorites, also when your favorite comes back it'll mean more than if it was in every team you use.
Not to mention having to possibly keep track of all 1000 for VGC or a playthrough is just...no.
I'm happy with the selection and the variety of types I have with vanilla SwSh.

1. The pokemon who do make it in get more attention, this includes new move, model fixes, and better animations (PLA as my example not swsh, which I feel was likely a very rushed game that may have started on the 3ds)
They don't when the same ones get the same attention (aka Kanto pokemon). Did Wailord get any attention because it was in SwSh? The only thing it happened was that it was mocked for its tiny battle model.

Plus what model fixes? If anything the old pokemon seem to have their models untouched for a while now.

2. Competitive. The seasons for Competitive were varied with each series, and it let some niche pokemon like Vileplume of all things do well (until venusaur returned)
Which they can limit and have limited pokemon in competitive. There have been seasons where you could use only a certain amount of pokemon and that was when every pokemon was in each game . Having every pokemon in the game doesn't mean they suddenly can't do this.

3. Do we really need 1000 pokemon all in one game? When was the last time you used more than 20 in a single playthrough? Even in 5 playthroughs where you use 6 unique pokemon every time you only use 30 (plus evolutions)
Not a single game in the series have had every pokemon available during the story because a large chunk was postgame. Even if every pokemon was in the game, a lot of them wouldn't be obtainable. But having more pre-postgame means more variety, meaning more replayability. Cutting the roster in half kills a lot of that.

The usual suspects always show up in every game, so that argument for variety is kind of weird when a lot of people just end up using the same pokemon because they show up regardless of roster size. Plus and this is me personally but i'm gonna assume for a lot of other people as well, i only use newly introduced pokemon in a new generation, so having every pokemon in the game's code wouldn't affect that. But it would give me the opportunity to use my old pokemon with the new toys introduced in each generation when i get to postgame.

And last, i just want every pokemon in the game's code, that is it. Having to wish some of my favorites might show up in each game is incredibly obnoxious more than anything.

as much as i hate to say this, the national dex is gone forever. best anyone can hope for nowadays is that your favorites will still be available in the next game. i know i'd hate it if i had to go without Marowak and Whiscash for a whole generation.

I actually feel different.

My top 2 favorites have been in almost every game since introduction
Glalie has been in the DPP games, HGSS (Technically, due to the Pokewalker), XY (Via Friend Safari), ORAS (Hoenn Remakes and it even got a Mega), Alola games, Sword and Shield and Legends Arceus. Please Gamefreak, give other Pokemon some love.
Tauros has been in GSC, DPP, HGSS (Johto remakes), XY, Alola games, Sword and Shield DLC, BDSP.

Tauros is most likely gonna be in Pokespain as well.

I actually feel different.

My top 2 favorites have been in almost every game since introduction
Glalie has been in the DPP games, HGSS (Technically, due to the Pokewalker), XY (Via Friend Safari), ORAS (Hoenn Remakes and it even got a Mega), Alola games, Sword and Shield and Legends Arceus. Please Gamefreak, give other Pokemon some love.
Tauros has been in GSC, DPP, HGSS (Johto remakes), XY, Alola games, Sword and Shield DLC, BDSP.

Tauros is most likely gonna be in Pokespain as well.
Tauros wasn't in DPP...

They don't when the same ones get the same attention (aka Kanto pokemon). Did Wailord get any attention because it was in SwSh? The only thing it happened was that it was mocked for its tiny battle model.

Plus what model fixes? If anything the old pokemon seem to have their models untouched for a while now.

Which they can limit and have limited pokemon in competitive. There have been seasons where you could use only a certain amount of pokemon and that was when every pokemon was in each game . Having every pokemon in the game doesn't mean they suddenly can't do this.

Not a single game in the series have had every pokemon available during the story because a large chunk was postgame. Even if every pokemon was in the game, a lot of them wouldn't be obtainable. But having more pre-postgame means more variety, meaning more replayability. Cutting the roster in half kills a lot of that.

The usual suspects always show up in every game, so that argument for variety is kind of weird when a lot of people just end up using the same pokemon because they show up regardless of roster size. Plus and this is me personally but i'm gonna assume for a lot of other people as well, i only use newly introduced pokemon in a new generation, so having every pokemon in the game's code wouldn't affect that. But it would give me the opportunity to use my old pokemon with the new toys introduced in each generation when i get to postgame.

And last, i just want every pokemon in the game's code, that is it. Having to wish some of my favorites might show up in each game is incredibly obnoxious more than anything.
That's why I referred to PLA asmy example. Every pokemon now turns properly, interacts with the player according to their personality, moves their head to look at the player, flat textures have been replaced with actual mouths and eyes(also seen in the SV trailer) and many pokemon even got new signature moves (Think all sinnoh starters and the genies atleast did)

PLA not having every Pokemon makes sense (better integration into the wild and no multiplayer), but 242 is a pretty meager quota for a catching-driven game. SwSh had little excuse for Dexit, except for not wanting to create a good precedent for later Switch games.

On the one hand, most players just play through the story, and even most competitive players probably don't want a metagame with 900+ options. On the other hand, Dexit means that your Pokemon are dependent on Game Freak's whims. The mentality of "don't worry, it might be in next year's titles!" devalues the games. They're also very disconnected right now.

PLA not having every Pokemon makes sense (better integration into the wild and no multiplayer), but 242 is a pretty meager quota for a catching-driven game. SwSh had little excuse for Dexit, except for not wanting to create a good precedent for later Switch games.

On the one hand, most players just play through the story, and even most competitive players probably don't want a metagame with 900+ options. On the other hand, Dexit means that your Pokemon are dependent on Game Freak's whims. The mentality of "don't worry, it might be in next year's titles!" devalues the games. They're also very disconnected right now.
That reminds me, has it been said if we have to pay for another iteration of Pokémon Home for Gen 9 as was the case for Pokémon Bank having two iterations? Or is it just one iteration of Pokémon Home so far? I’m asking because otherwise certain Pokémon would end up taking a one way trip to a generation that they’d be entirely absent in.

That reminds me, has it been said if we have to pay for another iteration of Pokémon Home for Gen 9 as was the case for Pokémon Bank having two iterations? Or is it just one iteration of Pokémon Home so far? I’m asking because otherwise certain Pokémon would end up taking a one way trip to a generation that they’d be entirely absent in.
i don't recall separate iterations of Bank. from what i remember, you could use all versions of bank with all gen 6 or 7 games except LGPE, but once a pokemon had been in a gen 7 game, they could not go back to a gen 6 game

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom