• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Gardevoir's voice these days (ie. Concordia's/Diantha's/Kimia's (M19, shiny)/Kublocke's) sounds way too angry. Why can't they have a Gardevoir (in this case, Horace's) sound like a Gardevoir for once? (don't even get me started on the Gardevoir from AG109...)

To be fair, the games hardly bother to make him stand out either.
Juan will always stand out to me as the Gym Leader who infamously chose to enjoy his harem of Gym Trainers inside closed doors while his city and its people were under catastrophic attack by two ancient eldritch beings; didn't lift a finger or even utter a "thank you."

What the anime did with him was a step up from his original incarnation, in my opinion.

Juan will always stand out to me as the Gym Leader who infamously chose to enjoy his harem of Gym Trainers inside closed doors while his city and its people were under catastrophic attack by two ancient eldritch beings; didn't lift a finger or even utter a "thank you."

What the anime did with him was a step up from his original incarnation, in my opinion.
...And this is what happens when you overlook the plot hole you caused by moving around characters.

I have nothing against Wallace, but I feel his focus should have been elsewhere, or at least done in a way that didn't cause Juan to be unintentionally unsympathetic (how come I never noticed this before?)

This might be unpopular, but a school concept in the pokemon world isn't bad idea in itself. Its just that the few times the anime depicted it, it was abysmal execution. Like tbh, the SM school is hardly one. Considering the we only saw one teacher, 2 staff, few students outside the group, and the lessons they taught were random. Like molding clay?????

How do you even graduate in this school? Ash just ups and leave by the end of the series. But the others still attend minus lillie

This might be unpopular, but a school concept in the pokemon world isn't bad idea in itself. Its just that the few times the anime depicted it, it was abysmal execution. Like tbh, the SM school is hardly one. Considering the we only saw one teacher, 2 staff, few students outside the group, and the lessons they taught were random. Like molding clay?????

How do you even graduate in this school? Ash just ups and leave by the end of the series. But the others still attend minus lillie
The most realistic execution of a school concept in the anime was probably Pokémon Tech way back in season 1. Though, as realistic as it may have been, I still didn't like the episode for several reasons, one of which being very unlikable characters.

Last edited:
This may be a bit nitpicky, but I've come to realize that how did Lillie and Lusamine immediately recognize Gladion's Zoroark as Mohn's Zoroark when they first saw it? Seems like any other Zoroark to me. If it was supposed to be a dramatic reveal, at least give it some distinct feature that makes it distinguishable.

This may be a bit nitpicky, but I've come to realize that how did Lillie and Lusamine immediately recognize Gladion's Zoroark as Mohn's Zoroark when they first saw it? Seems like any other Zoroark to me. If it was supposed to be a dramatic reveal, at least give it some distinct feature that makes it distinguishable.
He did tell Lusamine that he was going to look for it. I think the circumstantial evidence of Gladion suddenly acquiring such a rare Pokemon would lead anyone to the assumption that it was Mohn's, even if it wasn't. I guess the Dusk Ball and/or moveset could have been giveaways too.

Zoroark is a rare pokemon and there was already one in the family, so it shouldn’t be hard to put two and two together.

I can't say SM is my favorite Saga for the things I have already mentioned. There are emotional episodes outside of this Saga, really. While people here keep saying it's an underrated/overhated Saga, what I usually see is a Saga which gets too much praise.

Also, I hate the cartoonish "turn at the camera and smile"-like expression Pikachu had at the end of JN030.

At the time I was disappointed anime Lusamine wasn't crazy or evil like her game counterpart, but now I actually don't mind the animes take on her. Yeah it doesn't touch on the child abuse angle from the games but the animes take on her is equally valid.

I can't say SM is my favorite Saga for the things I have already mentioned. There are emotional episodes outside of this Saga, really. While people here keep saying it's an underrated/overhated Saga, what I usually see is a Saga which gets too much praise.

Also, I hate the cartoonish "turn at the camera and smile"-like expression Pikachu had at the end of JN030.
On Twitter it's pretty much praised. On here it's not exactly hated, but receives quite the amount of criticism. Honestly outside of here in general, SM is well liked

I think some of the emotional moments in SM are over hyped. Like the whole mallow mom and the Lillie "I hate you" speech doesn't hit as hard. Especially when ash is the one that saves her due to being the MC

Mallow's ep is really well done. If you told me 10 years ago the writers would make an ep where one of the main characters parents pass away from cancer or some other illness and the last thing a kid said to them was they hate them and regret it for years later is pretty deep and unexpected.

The fact that in Japan, they actually either retire or even kill off characters should their actors leave the show and still be alive, but not if the actor dies, where in that case, they are simply just recast, as opposed to how in the West, they actually either recast, retire, or even kill off characters if their actors either leave the show and still be alive or die in real life. Killing off characters if their actors die in real life is usually more common in Western-produced movies or TV shows.

Gardevoir and Gallade really need to interact with each other at least once. Suppose what if during the Masters 8, Diantha and her Gardevoir were present, and some trainers who owned members of the Ralts line like Rinto and Horace came to watch the event. Horace's Gardevoir would probably draw some attention to Rinto's Gallade and a random trainer's Gardevoir (who for some reason sounds like the one from AG109). Horace's Gardevoir and Rinto's Gallade would try to interact with each other, but Gallade and the other Gardevoir start fighting over Horace's, only to be both knocked out by Diantha's out of annoyance. Try to guess why one of the Gardevoir sounded like the one from AG109... (the Gardevoir from that episode didn't even sound like a Gardevoir...)

Let's hope Horace's Gardevoir in the dub would probably sound like Melodi's (from DP020) since Melodi's Gardevoir sounded more like a Gardevoir and that Horace's Gardevoir should actually sound like a Gardevoir.

Mallow's ep is really well done. If you told me 10 years ago the writers would make an ep where one of the main characters parents pass away from cancer or some other illness and the last thing a kid said to them was they hate them and regret it for years later is pretty deep and unexpected.
Mallow episode as a stand alone is well done. Mallow episode as you look at it outside the episode and how it affects mallow character as a whole is poorly executed imo

Back
Top Bottom