• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

I thought it was fine in R/B/Y but there ended up being far too many of them as the games went on. 8 is an insane number of move slots to be used up on getting around when every Pokémon only gets four; that's a full third of a full party's movepool.
Compare to R/B/Y where there were 5, 1 of them only used in a single area, and three of the remaining ones were decent to great in battle.
eh, Strength, Surf, Waterfall, Fly and Rock Climb are all good moves, so it's really only 3 moveslots that are being hogged by useless moves. i rarely have all my moveslots filled with moves i actually use, so i don't mind these garbage moves all that much.

Last edited:
Actually it goes further than that, even if you factor in HMs for Gen 3, Gen 5 had a roadblock in pretty much every city until you beat that city's gym, Gens 3 and 4 had entire chunks of areas spanning multiple cities that weren't blocked off.
the only gym in gen 3 that didn't have a roadblock immediately after was Winona's gym (and i guess brawly's gym since you don't technically need flash to explore granite cave). all the others required the badge to explore further.

I hate HMs because it meant I had to make sure I had a team that could use them and also had to lose a whole pokemon slot to an HM slave. If they bring HMs back I hope darkrai gets em while they're sleeping. >8|

I need another fairy dog as cute as Snubbull.
YAS MY FAVORITE POKEMON. Moar cute fairy pets plz.

the only gym in gen 3 that didn't have a roadblock immediately after was Winona's gym (and i guess brawly's gym since you don't technically need flash to explore granite cave). all the others required the badge to explore further.

Maybe, I haven't done an exact count comparison on the number of roadblocks. But Hoenn also had much larger gaps between gyms with large swaths of areas in between which compensated for having almost every single gym blocked (see, for example, the long string of routes and dungeons between Mauville and Lavaridge, or the large number of sea routes after Lilycove). In Unova you just had 1 route and sometimes a dungeon open to you before you hit a roadblock and were forced to turn back and complete the gym. So there were at least a larger proportion of roadblocks relative to the number of areas in the game compared to the older generations and that gave the feeling that you were constantly being stopped every 2 steps and forced to progress the areas in order to continue. The older games weren't nearly as restrictive.

Hopefully they will bring back field abilities, but without taking up moveslots, and make them actually required to progress, and have you use your own Pokemon, not some random rentals/wild Pokemon (like in BD/SP) who have no connection to the player character whatsoever.

Hopefully they will bring back field abilities, but without taking up moveslots, and make them actually required to progress, and have you use your own Pokemon, not some random rentals/wild Pokemon (like in BD/SP) who have no connection to the player character whatsoever.

I like all of this except for making them required to progress, with an open world they shouldn't really be doing that anymore. I would use them to hide some secret areas, Pokemon, and items, but not making them required to progress. Nothing should really be required to progress in an open world game, that's the point of it being open world.

The most that I expect to be require to progress is whatever water travel we get in this game, don't see you being able to swim. Even then its only needed for some small-ish islands
honestly
ej3g7lg420f81.jpg

Ugh no, please no HMs. Unless I can delete them without the move deleter. Rideable pokemon is fun.

HMs have been consistently gone since SM, even from the remakes of games that actually had HMs like LGPE and BDSP. I think it's safe to say they're gone for good at this point.

concerning HMs, while i'm not necessarily against them, i'm not necessarily in favor of them either. i think one of the very few things BDSP did right was the way it overhauled the HM system. they made it so that you don't have to waste moveslots on bad moves, but there also weren't these dumb unnatural-feeling roadblocks like the team yell grunts everywhere or those gates in SM that only trial captains could open.

Back
Top Bottom