• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

When the news announced the anime of Gen 9 coming on September or August it will feature with Ash catching some Pokémon in every region that he haven't caught them such as Magnemite, Trapinch, Bagon, and every Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4, Gen 5, Gen 6, Gen 7, Gen 8 and Gen 9
We'll likely get news for Gen IX's series in August or September, but no, none of those captures are happening. Why would the Gen IX anime reveal even feature that? Journeys seems fully intended to be an anniversary series. Gen IX's anime will probably focus on Scarlet and Violet. If Ash is still around, there won't be much of a reason for him to capture those.

I'm kinda amazed even in a saga like this they still limited Ash to only 5 captures. Obviously it was for the best (his pokemon still didn't get enough screentime as they should of), but this was a saga they could have gone wild in and had Ash capture a ton of Pokemon like Go did.

Thank god they didn't do it.

I'm kinda amazed even in a saga like this they still limited Ash to only 5 captures. Obviously it was for the best (his pokemon still didn't get enough screentime as they should of), but this was a saga they could have gone wild in and had Ash capture a ton of Pokemon like Go did.

Thank god they didn't do it.
I never thought that Ash would get a ton of captures like Goh did. Goh's goal kind of requires him to capture more Pokemon and most of them wouldn't be treated like characters anyway, but I thought that he'd get more than five captures. I'm kind of mixed on it myself. It probably was for the best. The lack of screentime has always been a major issue for Ash's Journeys team and throwing in more Pokemon most likely would have made that worse. But at the same time, it could have potentially given Ash more to work with. He could have had more Pokemon to train, different Pokemon from across the world and more chance to actually incorporate more new Pokemon to show in battle. It also would have given him more variety for his matches, which would also help with the Master Class since I don't think that they were ever interested in bringing back Ash's reserves.

It still probably was the better choice to not do another attempt at rotating his team since it most likely would have backfired instead of being an improvement from how it was handled in BW, but considering the world tour gimmick of the series, Goh catching a lot of Pokemon and people kept on praising how his team weren't limited to promoting just the current games back when Journeys started, it's kind of weird that they didn't give Ash a couple of more Pokemon to use at the same time.

I never thought that Ash would get a ton of captures like Goh did. Goh's goal kind of requires him to capture more Pokemon and most of them wouldn't be treated like characters anyway
Which is exactly why Goh's character was a huge mistake. While I respect your opinion, I personally think Goh's character and goal had no place being in the anime at all. The anime has already shown they're really bad at handling large numbers of, well, anything, just look at how the classmates were treated in SM or Ash's Pokemon in the BW series. Some characters just inevitably faded away into the background and got next to nothing (Mallow, Sophocles, Ash's Palpitoad, Boldore, and Leavanny.) And while you said his goal necessitates more captures, such a goal was ludicrous and absurd in the context of the anime from the get go. Why do we all watch the Pokemon anime in the first place? Isn't a big part of it to actually see the Pokemon as actual living, breathing creatures with personalities interacting with their world and the humans who care about them? I'm sorry, but if I wanted to see a bunch of Pokemon just get caught and then essentially boxed, never again to see the light of day (or in Goh's Pokemon's cases, screentime,) I would just play the games some more. If Pokemon aren't going to be treated as characters in the anime, especially when they're owned by a supposed "protagonist", then what's the point?

Last edited:
Many of Gohs Pokemon only was shown in the cerise park. Thats not a go. Whe must dont see a full story about Pokemon but some u can evolve in seconds: Murkrow. And please: not everytime the same Inteleon with Liquidation.

Many of Gohs Pokemon only was shown in the cerise park. Thats not a go. Whe must dont see a full story about Pokemon but some u can evolve in seconds: Murkrow. And please: not everytime the same Inteleon with Liquidation.
Goh's Pokemon rarely feel like characters. They look to be more like animals trapped in a zoo, or worse, like objects or cardboard cutouts. As for Inteleon with Liquidation, they commonly recycle animation in this show, and have been doing so for a long time. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Inteleon is a nicer slicer but dont forget Scizor: it has a long screentime and was good but then they come with Inteleon put Scizor away short after the crying baby turns into a agent and take Liquidation that can be probably turned into a more changeable move like Bullet Punch or other punches. Not everytime the same!

Inteleon is a nicer slicer but dont forget Scizor: it has a long screentime and was good but then they come with Inteleon put Scizor away short after the crying baby turns into a agent and take Liquidation that can be probably turned into a more changeable move like Bullet Punch or other punches. Not everytime the same!
Oh yeah, Goh's Scizor......I think I borderline forgot it even existed. (Just like 95% of Goh's Pokemon.) For something that was supposed to be one of Goh's more, important battlers or whatever, it sure did do a great job of vanishing off the face of the earth.

To be fair, Goh's Scizor was sadly really unimpressive whenever it showed up. It's heavily implied to be one of Goh's stronger Pokemon to the point that his Darmanitan, a Fire-tyoe, is afraid of it, yet the two times it's been used in battle it got completely destroyed by Pokemon it had a type advantage against. Granted, its loss to Hodge's Mightyena could be given a pass due to Goh being new to battling, being up against a trainer-owned Pokemon who had probably racked up plenty of experience previously, and its opponent's knowledge of a super-effective Fire Fang. Unfortunately, those justifications don't exist for the time Scizor was defeated by a wild Alolan Ninetales's Ice Beam...

To be fair, Goh's Scizor was sadly really unimpressive whenever it showed up. It's heavily implied to be one of Goh's stronger Pokemon to the point that his Darmanitan, a Fire-tyoe, is afraid of it, yet the two times it's been used in battle it got completely destroyed by Pokemon it had a type advantage against. Granted, its loss to Hodge's Mightyena could be given a pass due to Goh being new to battling, being up against a trainer-owned Pokemon who had probably racked up plenty of experience previously, and its opponent's knowledge of a super-effective Fire Fang. Unfortunately, those justifications don't exist for the time Scizor was defeated by a wild Alolan Ninetales's Ice Beam...
Yeah, it's sadly very unimpressive for being one of the coolest Bug types in existence, not to mention one of my favorites. The Alolan Ninetales thing in particular is absolutely pathetic, considering Scizor had a massive 4x type advantage over its opponent! Although, more than anything, it speaks less to Scizor being weak, and more at how bad Goh is at training it. After all, for all his so-called intelligence and luck, the kid is still a beginner. In the aforementioned Ninetales episode, he had to rely on Ash's advice to battle Ninetales, as he himself didn't know what Pokemon to use. And that's one thing Goh has a distinct lack of in spite of his studies and inordinate luck-real world experience.

Goh's Pokemon rarely feel like characters. They look to be more like animals trapped in a zoo, or worse, like objects or cardboard cutouts. As for Inteleon with Liquidation, they commonly recycle animation in this show, and have been doing so for a long time. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.
They're basically background fodder. And I agree. The idea of a main character going around simply catching Pokemon while never developing them as a character or even using them just simply doesn't work in the context of the anime.

In JN114, is been conformed that Ash's Bulbasaur, Bayleef and Leavanny have used Leaf Storm, while his Totodile, Kingler, Buizel and Corphish have used Hydro Pump and his Talonflame have used Flamethrower and his Infernape have use Close Combat.

Nah. None of those moves were really confirmed.
I don’t know, Bulbapedia has ignored the majority from that episode but does have Fire Punch down for Infernape… not that Bulbapedia has ever been consistent with not-named moves - I can remember having rigorous debates about it back in the day…

Though the one that annoys me is Gary’s Hatterene’s Pyscho Cut - we established back in the day that the move counts as seen even if we don’t see the Pokémon actually using it but so long as we actually see the move (Budew using Sunny Day and Yamask using Rain Dance) but whatever, not like it’s an encyclopaedia or anything

Though the one that annoys me is Gary’s Hatterene’s Pyscho Cut - we established back in the day that the move counts as seen even if we don’t see the Pokémon actually using it but so long as we actually see the move (Budew using Sunny Day and Yamask using Rain Dance) but whatever, not like it’s an encyclopaedia or anything
We didn't actually see the move's proper execution, i.e. the energy blades. With the weather moves you mentioned, we saw the weather effects.

an anybody tell us this is canon and coming soon
danbooru.donmai.us

Back
Top Bottom