• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial Pop Culture Opinions.

whenever i listen to pop music of the early 2010s and then compare it to pop music today, i'm surprised at how just. sad and unhappy our music is now. when you look at hits of 2013 compared to 2016 it's like night and day. and i know that morale got super low because of the 2016 election, but it's honestly strange for pop music to reflect that so intensely

Lucky? We have frickin' Bad Bunny. That's not even music. And Melissa Mora who's the Costa Rican Kim Kardashian. I'll take Luke Bryan (the bottom of the barrel, I know, but he's so bad he's good IMO) over someone that can't even sing a note and sounds bad even with autotune.

It's hard to find any kind of music that gets on my nerves as much as country music. As I said, it is the bane of me. Plenty of other music I don't care for, and I bet I wouldn't care for what you're talking about, but I can't really speak on that as I don't know who any of those people are. I am no fan of autotune, that's one thing for sure!

And yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd and CCR are southern rock, but I made the move to country because I found country acts similar in style to them, and that's how I fell that rabbit hole. I guess my love for rock and roll also helped, since it has country influences.

I see. I have only heard what they played of them on classic rock stations. I just remember their music being sooo much more tolerable than country. lol. I didn't really see much of a resemblance, but have not dived into their catalogs at all.

whenever i listen to pop music of the early 2010s and then compare it to pop music today, i'm surprised at how just. sad and unhappy our music is now. when you look at hits of 2013 compared to 2016 it's like night and day. and i know that morale got super low because of the 2016 election, but it's honestly strange for pop music to reflect that so intensely

I can't comment on this as I am completely ignorant of anything in the mainstream beyond like the early 2000s. Lol Nevertheless, politics has always had a major influence on music going back as far as at least the middle ages. So I'm not too surprised. These are very depressing times and the future of the US looks very dark. I'd be astonished if that wasn't represented in music.

I mean, there has been a lot of hype backlash towards them, and while I'm a big fan of those bands I can seriously get why points at the classic rock station that treats them as royalty and everyone else as one-hit wonders

I'm not sure if this should count as popular culture or not, but: Every criticism that exists of mainstream/corporate media also applies to independent/online media. I think there is definitely value in hearing what they have to say, but it should always be taken in the context of how their business models operate.

I'm not sure if this should count as popular culture or not, but: Every criticism that exists of mainstream/corporate media also applies to independent/online media. I think there is definitely value in hearing what they have to say, but it should always be taken in the context of how their business models operate.
I’d be interested to hear some elaboration

I mean, I guess that makes sense, but still........huh?

They should start making emo music again
Emo music is stylistically and musically great and I often miss it but then I listen to the lyrics again and remember why I stopped liking it: 99% of it is just hidden insults at some popular chick for being 'shallow' or a 'hoe' while the protagonist is oh so deep and smart and such a nice/rebellious/unique/special/modest/genius/philosophical/insert superlative here guy. Like... If you are so deep then why are you constantly falling for average American girls? It's not like alt girls don't exist or aren't attractive. People attract similar people. Emo songs treat this bizarre rage boner/fetish of nerd boys toward popular girls as some sacred,mystical instinct that all men possess due some natural, Freudian pull. Nope. Not all men want popular girls and not all men are dishonest or shallow about what they want. You are just... An 'i' word. You know what the word is.

Last edited:
I really hate social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok (trash) and Snapchat. Everything is so fake. And people kinda know it's fake, but still participate in order to not feel weird. Personally, I only have FB and I rarely post anything, I use it mostly for messenger. Most people around my age (middle to late twenties) have accounts on almost all popular platforms and post almost everyday. These social media have given everyone, but especially the youngest generations a really distorted perception of the world, preventing them from having more real life experiences in their local communities that would solidify deeper values. It distracts us endlessly which prevents us from developing real skills, hobbies and talents that would lead to greater contentedness, and provide real benefits for ourselves and others in the long term. They also make people feel atomized and individualistic.

Emo music is stylistically and musically great and I often miss it but then I listen to the lyrics again and remember why I stopped liking it: 99% of it is just hidden insults at some popular chick for being 'shallow' or a 'hoe' while the protagonist is oh so deep and smart and such a nice/rebellious/unique/special/modest/genius/philosophical/insert superlative here guy. Like... If you are so deep then why are you constantly falling for average American girls? It's not like alt girls don't exist or aren't attractive. People attract similar people. Emo songs treat this bizarre rage boner/fetish of nerd boys toward popular girls as some sacred,mystical instinct that all men possess due some natural, Freudian pull. Nope. Not all men want popular girls and not all men are dishonest or shallow about what they want. You are just... An 'i' word. You know what the word is.
Huh? Most emo music I have heard is not like that. What bands have you been listening to?

who says they stopped
Well, it stopped being mainstream. Screamo replaced it for a while, but it didn't last.

Nickelback is good
Well, I don't find them good, but I don't find them bad either. I still wonder why they are that hated, aside from the fact actual bad bands don't reach mainstream media (e.g.: Coelacanths)

I once had a talk with two guys in a bar about how holding a note is nonexistent in modern singing, and I brought up extreme metal cookie monster lyrics as pretty much the only example still relevant.

Extreme metal is very artistic, if very lowbrow at times.

I once had a talk with two guys in a bar about how holding a note is nonexistent in modern singing, and I brought up extreme metal cookie monster lyrics as pretty much the only example still relevant.

Extreme metal is very artistic, if very lowbrow at times.
I kinda agree but please define 'modern singing'. Because of so many genres available on the net, you don't even have trends anymore, you can listen to any genre you want and ten more new genres you never heard about pop up everyday. But if you clarify 'popular' music then yes, I agree. But I am also tired of people idolizing Britney or Rihanna or other older pop singers as if they never used auto tune. Using auto tune doesn't mean a singer can't sing. Some can, some cannot. I even feel like in the earlier 2000s it was used more as a 'trend', as a way to glossify singing rather than completely create what wasn't there (like now). But as someone who hasn't listened to anything popular in a long, long time, I noticed that there is actually MORE emphasis on good/strong vocals in indie music NOW. Hell, now there is even SOUL revival, a lot of soul/funk new artists emerging compared to the cult of whispery ballads of early 2000s (which I hated).

I kinda agree but please define 'modern singing'. Because of so many genres available on the net, you don't even have trends anymore, you can listen to any genre you want and ten more new genres you never heard about pop up everyday. But if you clarify 'popular' music then yes, I agree. But I am also tired of people idolizing Britney or Rihanna or other older pop singers as if they never used auto tune. Using auto tune doesn't mean a singer can't sing. Some can, some cannot. I even feel like in the earlier 2000s it was used more as a 'trend', as a way to glossify singing rather than completely create what wasn't there (like now). But as someone who hasn't listened to anything popular in a long, long time, I noticed that there is actually MORE emphasis on good/strong vocals in indie music NOW. Hell, now there is even SOUL revival, a lot of soul/funk new artists emerging compared to the cult of whispery ballads of early 2000s (which I hated).
I think you've misread that post. What it's actually saying is that the act of holding a note in pop music has kind of disappeared. It's still there in metal.

Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey are possibly two of the most recent singers that would hold notes for a while in songs. Most singers these days just sing the words.

Holding notes is objectively harder than just singing, and it's really quite rare these days that singers do it - except in metal where it's really quite common.

I think you've misread that post. What it's actually saying is that the act of holding a note in pop music has kind of disappeared. It's still there in metal.

Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey are possibly two of the most recent singers that would hold notes for a while in songs. Most singers these days just sing the words.

Holding notes is objectively harder than just singing, and it's really quite rare these days that singers do it - except in metal where it's really quite common.
I did? You didn't say 'popular' anywhere in the first post, just 'modern' so how could I misread it? But anyway, you said basically what I said: singing has become objectively worse in POPULAR music. Please reread what I said carefully again

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom