• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst starter evolution line?

TapLover

Reaction score
As in referring to the design and personality. I see people didn't like the Poppilo line cause it's was so-so "child appeal" in design and personality terms...

I hate the Rowlet line myself.
I can't really articulate why, but it just feels like a Pokemon that would be chosen by people I dislike.

All of Johto starters are kinda boring for me, so are Unova starters. Samurott could have been better if he was given a secondary type. Even Serperior's pure-Grass killed off his own prowess.

The Charmander line and Chimchar line are my least favorite. For Charmander's line it's just very boring looking to me and overrated, while for Chimchar's line I'm just not a big fan of monkeys personally (though there are two monkey Pokémon I like, Chimchar's line is definitely not one of them). There's also Incineroar I dislike, though I don't hate it's other two relatives.

Either the Bulbasaur line because I don't find it to stand out much compared to the other starters, or the Charmander line because people need to chill out about it. I don't really dislike any of them, though.

It's hard for me to dislike any particular starter line per se, but if I had to pick any that I don't particularly care for, it'd have to be the Chespin line, minus Chespin itself. Quillain is ok, but I don't really care for Chesnaught. The same with the Piplup line, actually. Samurott just isn't my cup of tea, rip.

Popplio is not that bad but it gets uglier and uglier after every evolution.
Sobble is hideous too, it's just an ugly and unoriginal Froakie ripoff.

I would say the Chikorita line, I do not exactly dislike it but think the combination of type, design, stats, and major Johto matchups leaves A LOT to be desired.

Scorbunny line...

Like... Scorbunny is fine and Raboot is kinda okay, but for me Cinderace isn't a Pokemon, its a human in a bunny suit. And where do Raboot and Cinderace get those clothes from anyways.

I prefer Pokemon that have a natural evolution chain that makes sense, rather than an evolution line that get stuff slapped onto it just for the sake of it.

Like... Incineroar gets clothes as well... but its not so in your face as with Cinderace and Raboot

Fun story: My first playthrough of Sword was with Sobble, so Hop got Scorbunny. When Hop appeared at the league with Cinderace next to it... it took me five minutes to realize it was Cinderace next to it and not another human character we didn't meet yet.

Charmander line definitely, it's not bad in terms of design or battle prowess, but it's the excessive marketing of Charizard that has ruined its reputation by becoming one of the most overrated Pokemon of all time.

All the Galar starters too. They're far too humanoid and just look creepy. The only trio I really fully dislike.

I can say that I seriously dislike Charizard, Greninja, and Cinderace, but those are just standalone issues of which nothing carries to their pre-evolved states. Cinderace though, that guy may well tilt my answer towards the Scorbunny line because Gen 8 was also the least interested I've ever been in a starter trio. Grookey and Sobble's lines only barely dodged the crossfire here because their final stages didn't tick me off during a raid event in SV.

i'm not really a fan of the chespin or gen viii lines. (minus grookey itself.)
(i don't honestly have many opinions on emboar or pignite, but tepig is the cutest shit, istg, and it gets too much hate because of the fire/fighting thing)
the rowlet line is, in my opinion, the most overrated of all time (and by a LANDSLIDE to me at that). i genuinely never thought any of them were appealing.
i love piplup, turtwig, and torterra, and empoleon is okay, but prinplup and grotle are... not the best designs. i'm not super into snivy either, and fuecoco and crocalor are vastly overrated as well, even if not to the same extent as those accursed owls (skeledirge is my homie tho).
literally every other pokemon in every other starter line is varying degrees of "like" though.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom