Fennel
Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• PART 2

I've never been much a fan of how the "psychological thriller" label has been used. To me, "thriller" implies that a story is meant to be visceral, emotional, and exciting, without anything really deep to say (remember how I was with The Hurt Locker? :p), but hey, maybe there are thrillers have really deep meanings to them. If there is, I haven't seen one that I'd classify as a "thriller". My favorite movie of all is one that gets the "psychological thriller" tag a lot, that being Donnie Darko, but that movie is so deep you need SCUBA gear, which is why I call it a "psychological drama" of sorts. It doesn't play off of fear enough to he "horror", the way I see it. However, Requiem for a Dream is all about fear, and it has a meaning, too; drugs are really, really bad. Using the audience's fear to get a message across is the most basic definition of horror I could give you, and so I call Requiem a horror movie.

Now that's something I don't do to myself; add more stuff than I take out. :p How do you do it?
    Wow, PokeBank is more than I thought. O_O The PokeTransporter seems really useful (now that I think about it, I don't think there was a way to get Gen V Pokemon to Gen VI), but that fee, is it taken out of your "points" or whatever they're called that you use to buy stuff on the eShop? If so, I'd be alright with that since I could just buy enough cards to keep 5 bucks in my balance, but if it's some credit card mumbo-jumbo then it's not an option for me.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to go through college pretending to be an athletic, rich Nobel Prize laureate or something. I'm still not sure exactly what I need to put in the application, so I'll just go look up some applications when I have the time and see what I'm dealing with.

I've only seen a couple of clips from it, and from what I saw I thought it was a comedy, but then I looked it up and it was a historical drama or whatever it is. It kinda stands out as an odd selection on my "should probably see someday" list.
    Got any other plans for breeding when you're done with Marill? I was considering going for Slurpuff myself, after seeing this vid: Slurpuff is BROKEN! Cotton Candy OP! Metagame for Slurpuff - YouTube
    Maybe they regret making it? If you don't have one by Pokebank's re-release, I can breed my Glameow.

Hey, do you know if the rumors about shiny rates being higher in Friend Safaris are true?
    Electivire's also been a big help while I've been chain fishing. And no problemo. Any other Pokemon you're looking for?
    Btw, if you ever need Electivire back, just let me know. It's cool and all, and I'll gladly take care of it, but I didn't really want anything for Cottonee.
    No, Ruri is a good name. Thank you very much! I didn't know if you collected Vivillon, but that one had a good nature and ability. I also have Mexican Scatterbug, if you ever want one.

Nah, be glad you kept it off. It just means you'e grinding for a long time, so at most it's just an inconvenience.
    PART 3 BECAUSE SCREW IT IF I'M 100 CHARACTERS ABOVE THE LIMIT I'MMA JUST MAKE ANOTHER PART

I highly doubt they were expecting Oscars, if you get what I'm laying down. I think little projects like Birdemic and stuff are more like practice for when Mr. Nguyen and other auteurs of suck like him get more serious jobs in the movie business. Birdemic just had to be the one that caught people's attention and became the punching bag of the whole idea.

I don't really pay attention to IVs and Natures. I mean, I feel like I shouldn't have to look up something on the Internet to get the full picture of a video game. So I kinda just go through the game willingly oblivious to those kinds of things and play the game as it presents itself to me. I'm always thinking about the EVs that my Pokemon are getting because the game makes it pretty clear what stats you're getting the most beefed up and how you can change that, but with things like Natures, it's kinda just there and you have to figure it out yourself. Fortunately for us, people have figured it out already and posted their findings on the Internet, so maybe after I'm done with the main story and want to face any kind of chance against the rest of you guys, I'll look it all up and do all that IV junk, but for now I'm going on what the game tells me. Then again, I'm playing the game in French, so... maybe I'm just dumb. :I
    PARTE DEUX PARCE J'SUIS JOUANT POKEMON Y EN FRANCAIS

I'm the other way around, I'm really itching to see Black Swan and Requiem for a Dream scared the shit out of me. Like, seriously, I call it a horror movie without a second thought, except in this one the monster is addiction instead of ghosts or demons or guys in hockey masks. I wonder if it could knock sense into kids if it were shown in schools. And if you're going to watch Evangelion, just as a warning to you, it has a pretty big fascination with the female body. Lots of anime do, but... yeah.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat of attempting to edit as I write so I don't have to do so much when (more appropriately, if) I go back through the first draft, but maybe that's a bad habit, seeing as I haven't heard of anyone else doing this. :p
    I don't really know what PokeBank is all about. Isn't it like a paid subscription or something like that? And I didn't know they were giving away Celebi! I've wanted a Celebi ever since I was a little boy! It was like my Mew. That's another first that Y has fulfilled for me: my first event Pokemon, which was that Speed Boost Torchic with Blazikenite. It felt so cool to receive a gift from the girl in the Pokemon Center for the first time. :'D

Why, thank you. ;o I think I remember my English teacher saying something like all the colleges have their own version of it available on their Web sites and stuff. I guess I just have to do it and see what it's all about. I think a big source of worry for me right now is not knowing what I am and aren't supposed to put in the application.

Historical films have never sat well with me, because they're telling the story of something that actually happened and it's extremely difficult to get everything correct, plus creative biases can twist the events to get a clearer message across. But maybe that's it; if twisting the facts makes for a better, more focused story, maybe I shouldn't think that movies should be historically accurate and treat them as if they were completely fiction. Something about fictionalizing an actual event is a little weird to me, though. Once I sit down and watch a movie, though, I'm alright with it. It's just an after-thought.
    Thankies!

Yeah, making EXP. Share a key item was a horrible idea and I hope the next gens don't add it. I don't see why they didn't stick with Gen V's experience system.
    Get both. Challenge Mod W2 is a ton of fun, especially.

Oh, I just might hold you to that. Any boy Adamant Marill with those moves and a nickname?
    It's okay, I had my friend make me a new one. Mine was good, mostly we just opened the baby's presents for her. How was yours?
    PART 2 BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING FUNNY TO SAY HERE THIS TIME

Neon Genesis Evangelion is kinda like an extra-dramatic and psychological mech anime, like if Gundam were remade by Darren Aronofsky. That could be a good or a bad thing depending on whether or not you like Darren Aronofsky, but I like him, so yeah. I'm not far enough into the show to comment on its purported convolutedness, but according to most accounts as the animation studio, Gainax, took away more and more of the show's funding, they had to be more and more vague about major plot points, where by the end of it... well, people really didn't like the ending. Eventually, the crew did make a movie that retconned a new ending which they felt was satisfactory.

I sometimes surprise myself with how much I can write when I'm really into it... but then it's like I burn up all my creative energy and I can't replenish it. I started a short story last month and I'd say I'm about 1/3 of the way through. Most of what's written was done last month. And that's a pretty solid effort as far as my standards go.

It's a science fiction movie, bro. They always get sequels. I mean, the first did make a pretty big splash, when you think about it. :p

I also ran into a shiny Paras in LeafGreen, but I already had a well-trained Paras, so I didn't think much of it. xD Even I didn't expect myself to let go of a shiny that easily. But hey, Doc is a balling Parasect already, so I didn't see much of a need for a gold-colored Paras.
    We don't have Boxing Day here, but my 2DS bundle is my Boxing Day gift, if you like. Except I'm not a worker... and I really don't do a whole lot for society at all... never mind.

So I'm going to get a Friend Code and find everyone else's and stuff once I get the E-Shop all set up, right? It's currently down in my region because of high traffic, but I'll go through all the usual account-making junk once it's up again.

Aww, don't feel like that. At least you've actually filled out your applications. I don't even know where to start on that junk. :/ I don't know how to make a resume or anything of the sort. Maybe if I get the hang of that then I'll be a little more focused in my research.

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily say that Salo is an exploitation film, but it comes very, very close. That's how they intended to get the political commentary across and make it stronger, but it's a little too close for comfort if you ask me. (Fruitvale Station is a new movie, right? I think someone who played in it was on Ellen the other day. Not sure what it's about.)
    PART 2 BECAUSE I HAD TO GIVE UP ON THE GRAMMAR OF THAT LAST SENTENCE IT WOULD FIT INTO THE CHARACTER LIMIT

I haven't done NaNoWriMoBaNaNaMaMaFoFaNo to date. I've never felt like one month was enough for me, seeing as I'm the tortoise and everyone else is the hare when it comes to pretty much anything. Maybe I could do my own little variant and call it PerShoStoWriMo (Personal Short Story Writing Month).

I beg to differ from you, I'd love to see the whole thing some day. That clapping scene is gold. Also, fighting the birds in the drive-way with coat hangers. Also, bird acid. Also, when the family leaves their gasoline on the side of the road. Also, that whole damn movie. Also, I am so forcing my family to watch Santa with Muscles tomorrow.

Yeah, that tedium goes back to Pokemon relying on luck for a lot of its mechanics. I've made some pretty pathetic forays into soft-resetting in the past, so nowadays I just let shinies happen. So far all that's gotten me is an Onix that I named Shiny because I'm a damn genius, but I'm okay with that, I guess.

Merry ChristmaHannuKwanzaa, by the way! :)

UPDATE: Also, I got this certain video game with my Christmas money... I mentioned you in the blog. ;D
    We're probably going to be moving to Texas in a year or two from what mom tells me, and she says the University of North Texas is good for people interested in the arts. My uncle went there and he's pretty successful as a clarinet player (though it's not his main job), so maybe I should look into Texas some more. I want to stay in Florida if I can, though... maybe this transfer program stuff could be put to use outside of Johns Hopkins.

Elfen Lied's level of graphic extremity reminded of the movie Salo. You know that one? The Italian adaption of one of the Marquis de Sade's books that was banned in a bunch of places? I saw that a few months ago. I kinda had the same problem with it as I did with Elfen Lied in that the violence and sexuality overwhelmed the plot/message. (I watched the rest of Elfen Lied, by the way, so I am speaking of the whole thing here.) On top of that, Elfen Lied's drama was interesting, but the plot relied a lot on co-incidences. I can see why my friend liked it, but maybe this is how I feel when something just isn't my thing.
    I haven't checked out Attack on Titan. It's all the rage in anime right now, so obviously I've heard good things about it. Maybe I'll get around to it. As for right now, I'm currently moving at my usual slow pace through Planetes and Neon Genesis Evangelion. You've probably heard of the latter, it's one of the anime that you'll consistently hear dubbed "TEH GR8EST ANIME EVOR". The former is very unusual among anime in that there's not a lot of action, none too much violence, and - get this - no fan service at all. Its pacing is pretty slow, and that coupled with my own slow pace things means that I come out of each episode kinda wanting just a little more of something, I don't know what, but I'm actually not that far into it, so maybe if I just go a little quicker I'll get more out of it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it properly once I figure out a system that works 4 me
    PART 2 BECAUSE I'M NOT AS CONCISE AS YOU SORRY :'(

Have you heard of an independent sci-fi horror flick called Birdemic: Shock and Terror? Mmm. Delicious. Lots of those "unnecessary" movies you brought up, too. The 1998 Godzilla with Matthew Broderick... anything with Matthew Broderick, really. Oh, and I can't forget Arnold Schwarzenegger's ill-fated attempts at family comedy!

Now, breeding has never been my game. xD I didn't bother to understand it at all until recently, when I did bother to learn about it. To be honest, I don't like how much Pokemon relies on luck. I guess it makes sense in the context of breeding, and maybe there's a kind of mechanical enjoyment to come out of it (I wouldn't know since I've never IV-trained), but I wish the ins and outs of the game would somehow rely more on skill.
    Johns Hopkins University is one of the colleges that's been e-mailing me, and it has a film course that sounds perfect for me. I can tell it's going to be a lot of work because it's a really prestigious school and I don't know if I'm cut out for that, but the main problem is that it's in Maryland. o_O I asked my English teacher for her opinion and she said I might want to go for attending a state college for two years and then using a transfer program to slip into Johns Hopkins. If it doesn't work out, though, Maryland is literally alien to me... as you can see, I'm just bouncing ideas around. I don't have much of a plan at this point. I should get to deciding on a plan, maybe.

You know, considering the nature of this forum, I find it weird that we've never talked about anime. xD I'm not much of an anime guy myself, but one of my friends' favorite series is Elfen Lied, so I checked it out today. It is... graphic. For a serious, story-driven drama (or maybe horror?), it has very, very copious amounts of nudity and gore. The first half of the first episode is seriously excessive in its violence, really (not complaining about the nudity heheheheheheh), and "excessively graphic" is not a good first impression if you ask me. Or maybe it was throwing its worst out first so anybody who made it through won't have to see that level of extremity again. Either way, it's just too effin' much. Like, jeez. Anyway, what's your stance on anime? I adore Cowboy Bebop, but that's basically where it ends for me.

Maybe I'm the kind of guy who works best under pressure. Or maybe I can't create pressure by myself, so I need someone else to smack some sense into me. >_> I'm inclined to write essays chronologically, but that's probably not a good approach, especially for a guy who wants to go into film. Although my main focus is writing, for screen, stage, literature, whatever, so maybe writing chronologically is best for me.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom