• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!
  • Hello all! The staff is planning a restructuring to the forums on April 11th. Please see this announcement thread for details.

Bulbagarden Forums

CrystaI
CrystaI
Although I don't appreciate Mary Sue, I also don't like bland characters without unique individualities that makes one stand out from one another. And the distaste is twofolds when such bland character becomes Mary Sue.
Robo-Floatzel
Robo-Floatzel
Ash is what TV Tropes would call a "Creator's Pet", in fact, the entire anime is this to the whole bleeping franchise, since TPCi seems to prioritize the anime over the games, TCG, or anything else, since most merchandise uses the anime's logos over the games logos (or simply the Pokemon logo in general), and the reason I think this is is because many people (namely non-Pokemon fans) still see the Pokemon franchise as being the anime and not the games (like most fans do).
CrystaI
CrystaI
I thought it is TRio rather than Ash being the Creator's Pet. But whatever.
That kind of makes me think about one thing. The entire Pokemon franchise may be more different if they shifted their marketing focus from utilizing the anime less, but more in using the game or the name of the entire Pokemon franchise.
Robo-Floatzel
Robo-Floatzel
Yeah, since Pokemon is a multi-media franchise where all the different mediums it's in are so different and distinct from each other, though the marketing seems mainly focused on the anime alone. If the anime is made to advertise the games, then it's doing a poor job at doing so since it either barely tries to adapt the games or tries too hard to adapt them and fails miserably at it.
CrystaI
CrystaI
Not sure exactly how much of the Pokemon-related merchandize are anime-focused, because 90% of what one may find in Pokemon Center are non-anime-related, they are either game, TCG, or purely Pokemon character on their own. (Hey, how come there is no manga-related?)
The one utilized anime as marketing are mostly the shokugan (toys come with food), half of the gachapon (capsule toy in vending machine), and half of the human figure arts. Most importantly they are made mostly by Bandai and Takara Tomy.