• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

Bulbagarden Forums

Robo-Floatzel
Robo-Floatzel
My opinion on Alain? Well, he's better than Ash, that's for sure. If anything, he's what Ash SHOULD have been in the X/Y series. As for the upcoming match, I honestly don't care who wins, Ash is most likely going to lose anyways, but even if he does win and this somehow ends up being his first league win (Orange Islands doesn't count), I wouldn't really care because I stopped caring about Ash's character long ago.

If Ash won the league back in Hoenn or Sinnoh, I would have cared, but whether he wins or loses, I just don't really care anymore.
CrystaI
CrystaI
We are surely on the same thinking. I also didn't care much about Ash's result in the Kalos League. Though that is more because of the set up of this league, it doesn't have that eventful feeling that is something so important like being the final terminus of this 3 years (in-universe 1 year, or may be just several months, or even just several days) travel. So whatever the result it is, it doesn't feel impactful nor important to Ash's trainer career at all.
CrystaI
CrystaI
Trainer-wise and character-wise, I also think Alain is better than Ash. But I don't think that is what Ash should become. It is just too OOC for Ash to become someone like Alain. Many people hate him because of his characterization and strength, and also I do agree he may need more depth as his past doesn't justify too much of his current self, but still IMO Alain is just refreshing to watch, as he is the kind of character the Pokemon Anime need more of it.
Robo-Floatzel
Robo-Floatzel
The thing about Alain is that with the specials he was in, he's a very different protagonist who I find far more interesting than Ash, a character who has become so unrelatable and boring in recent years that you wonder why he's even still the main character.

Also, is it just me or does every league seem to get worse, often feeling rushed and uneventful (and almost always having an episode focused on a small Pokemon owned by one of Ash's friends).