Bulbagarden

Ghostsoul
Ghostsoul
If we get a HGSS remake, we'll have to wait for a Kanto remake first (unless they sort of put the two together Kanto and Johto are right next to each other after all.)

Makes sense! (I don't get the deal with journey fics personally, some are well written, but there are just so many of them.)
Fair enough! If you want to rewrite/adjust the beginning you can if you want to!

I haven't updated my fic in a while either, perhaps because I wrote it semi-impulsively with kind-of an ending, finding that thread to the ending has been a little difficult for me.
Arkadelphiak
Arkadelphiak
I'd be pleased with a Kanto remake in the same vein as FRLG. People are so salty about "ughh we've BEEN to Kanto" but, given the quality of remakes as of late, I'd love it. Even if it tied into Lillie's journey through Kanto. FireRed was my very first video game and the Sevii Islands are technically my favorite "region," so if they remake that in 3D . . . shut up and take my money!

Yeah, I get bored very quickly (it's shameful, really). I can recommend some good journey fics if you're interested. As for my writing, I feel like Chapter I was straightforward enough (since it's just meant to hook people in), but Chapter II reads like a rough draft.

No rush. Is it going to focus entirely on Saturn? I noticed Archer in the banner for the story.
Ghostsoul
Ghostsoul
I think if we got a Kanto remake along with something new I'll be happy, but perhaps not in this gen, because we've had a lot of Kanto in this gen (and the last gen too).

New ideas are the most distracting thing, now I've got ideas for my own original fiction too! Which is just about in the planning/worldbuilding phase (Although I'll probably keep that to myself). Most of the time I don't read journey fics, I'll read something if the premise interests me enough.

Archer is just in my signature sadly! (Because he looks nice there, Proton is in my avatar too). I planned of writing the story fairly quickly, but it didn't turn out that way, yeah the story is mostly focused on Saturn and Cyrus somewhat. I did think up an idea for a story with Archer at one point, not sure if it'll ever get written though!
Arkadelphiak
Arkadelphiak
I interpreted all the Kanto references in SM as hints toward a possible remake. It would make sense, given that FRLG is now the only region that hasn't been brought into a DS-based system.

Personally, reading for new ideas is one of the best things you can do. I feel like my ideas stagnate if I tell myself "no new ideas, no reading!" because people are just so creative. We have some brilliant authors on here. It's two-fold benefit: you get exposure, they get views/reviews. Try it!

AWWWW, okay. I noticed that as well (I've seen the original art for both on Tumblr). And that would be awesome! Give the Executives some more love!
Ghostsoul
Ghostsoul
Funnily enough I interpreted the references to be the opposite, appeasement to the fans who are expecting a remake (but likely won't get one). The Alolan dex is full of Kanto Pokemon, so we wouldn't need a Kanto game to complete the pokedex once with the Kanto Pokemon. Sinnoh Pokemon on the other hand...

The problem for me is too many ideas! I get a new idea through one way or another, and distraction happens. I want to write about the new thing and start looking down on the old thing. Plus I'm kind of a slow reader and a slow writer. If something doesn't grip me then it's unlikely I'll finish it, and leaving a fic review without finishing it makes me feel sort of uncomfortable.

Hm. I'll have to do more planning for this. Funnily enough, the characters for the original fic I came up with are somewhat based off Team Rocket and the executives. This is because of how I can up with the idea. I haven't done much for it yet, but if you are interested I could discuss the idea over PM.
Arkadelphiak
Arkadelphiak
*X-Files theme plays in the distance*
GOOD POINT. Very good point. Did you notice the Diamond Head/Pearl Harbor landmark parallels on Melemele Island? I've actually been to both places and nearly had a heart attack when I made that connection. DPPT REMAKES CONFIRMED???

A single-chapter review is fine. You don't really have to give giant explanations. I'm not even that good at it! The Quote function helps you pick out sentences and comment on them individually, which really helps the reviewing. As for ideas, I recommend getting a Word document (or Notes on your smartphone) and just writing down any idea that comes to you. Although if you're like me, you get thousands of ideas and now you have a multi-megabyte-sized Word document to parse through. But still!

PM ME, GURL
Ghostsoul
Ghostsoul
Ah yeah! There are those too! I think that's quite minor in comparison to the Type:Null/Silvally comparisons with Arceus (even the information used to create them was revealed to have come from Sinnoh).

Another thing is that I am awful at reviews (especially if the fic is good with no flaws that really stand out to me, I've reviewed characters before but not entire stories).

Yeah, I have made a world document planning thing for this, it's not even 1000 words long yet and it's a bit of a mess. (My perfectionism also makes me afraid to start writing). It have more ideas than I've written down though, but the it's still a bit of a mess.

Sure! I don't have much down for the characters as of yet, but I'll speak about the plot (and some things about the characters, I'm interested to hear some interpretations of the executives and their personalities, without spoiling anything for your fic of course!).
Arkadelphiak
Arkadelphiak
The RKS System is incredibly suspicious. I hope Game Freak doesn't just leave Type: Null/Silvally as a gimmick. That's a huge hint, if anything.

Be careful. I'm living proof that those things get out of hand very, very quickly. Try to make an organization system soon. And hey, I'm a perfectionist too. The way I see it, it's good to write ANYTHING because there's nothing stopping you from editing it later. Nobody is going to see/judge it (even your worst ideas) but you. The same goes for reviewing!

aww yissss
Ghostsoul
Ghostsoul
I also think the Ultra-beast situation can be very interestingly 'solved' or expanded upon in a DP remake best. Because we would learn more about the interplay with dimensions.

It's a little organised (headings and bullet points help a lot). I am not a naturally well organised person. Sometimes I've actually felt a little sick when starting something due to my nervousness of it not living up to the way I wanted it to be.

Thinking about it, perhaps if Archer was trying to bring back anyone but Giovanni, he would have been an anti-villain at worst perhaps? Hmmm...
Arkadelphiak
Arkadelphiak
Ooh, like Palkia and Dialga take on protective roles (similarly to Giratina in Platinum)? Maybe they and Giratina are the only ones who can/will stop the UBs. Maybe Cyrus is a faller? Or an anti-villain who wants to create a new world that the UBs can't destroy? Yeeess!!! I need this!

GOOD. Keep doing that. And I understand. My hands were shaking when I posted my story, and I couldn't even LOOK at my reviews when they first came in. Taking a deep breath and just going for it really helps.

Conspiracy time!! Dang it, Giovanni! You ruined a great villain!
Ghostsoul
Ghostsoul
Yeah that'll be pretty neat! Hmm, not sure if Cyrus is a faller (although, as a general note, the Time/Darkness/Sky protagonist is very similar to a faller would be).

I don't even write all that much, I'm so nervous to. I have almost no clue what my ability is like. I've been told my writing is good by various people before, but then nothing much else.

Archer is a strange character to say the least, it depends on how you view his motives. Does he really have a lot of villainous inclinations or did he become clingy after seeing himself as pretty much an extension of Giovanni? Was he always clingy and needed somewhere where he felt could be a family to him? (Weirdly enough, despite be a criminal organisation, Team Rocket has been compared to a family a few times, huh).
Arkadelphiak
Arkadelphiak
It'd make an interesting concept if they really run with it. Although I'm not sure how they'd adjust it since fallers tend to lose their memories . . . so, perhaps Cyrus is doomed to make the same mistakes. Maybe Giratina is really a UB and it casts him into the future for a second chance.

All I can say is: keep writing! Just pay attention to how it sounds/flow and you'll begin to see your unique voice/style appear. It can take a while (in my case, years).

My boi Archer is likely bitter, because the Sevii Island extension of TR had two Admins (believed to be Archer and Ariana), with the former male vowing to revive TR again. Bitterness can fuel a lot of things. And there's power in numbers, of course. That would make sense.
Ghostsoul
Ghostsoul
It's likely something similar will/has occured in the new universe as in the old universe, with Team Galactic and Cyrus being claimed by Giratina, so on and so fourth. But of course, his plan this time is more deadly considering tampering with dimensions could also mean tampering with the UBs too. UBs are dangerous but their intentions are very hard to describe so perhaps they could do something 'beneficial' to the protagonists for once.

Ah, flow is very important! My style keeps changing too. Sometimes what I write ends up seemingly like poetry more.

I guess that makes him kind of alike to Lusamine (but with less crazy) both of them are bitter at loosing someone and what they meant to them. A bit alike to Gumza as well, although I would say Guzma is more angry at society in general than the idea of something/someone being taken away from him.
Arkadelphiak
Arkadelphiak
Who knows? Maybe they felt threatened by Team Galactic's meddling and crashed on through the dimensions trying to eliminate the threat. Someone needs to write this fic!

Mine went from cringy purple prose with little dialogue to 50% dialogue, 40% description, and 10% snark. Nowadays I start writing the dialogue and then write the scene around it. That's probably why my characters talk in a VERY expressive/pointed manner. They're always up in each other's faces now that I think about it, ha.

MY BOI GUZMA THO, poor guy. He's an interesting character. He seems more relatable to us older fans since we too would be pissed off if eleven-year-old foreigner prodigies kept crushing us at the ONE thing we couldn't succeed at. Speaking of Lusamine, her battle themes (particularly the first) are incredible.
Ghostsoul
Ghostsoul
Ah! I like the idea of the UBs being/feeling threatened by Team Galactic. Will they come before or after the clashing of the dimensions I wonder?

Luckily I never fell into Purple Prose. It was never my thing (although it may be rather beige sometimes). I've never been very good with dialogue though. Normally I end up writing either internal monologue or just plain normal monologue.

Guzma is very understandable, many ideas within Team Skull were actually used to deconstruct elements of Pokemon (this element being 'leaving children alone to fend for themselves) Pokemon battles aren't the most lucrative career option, so what happens to those who fail or give up on their Pokemon journey? Guzma is mostly a victim of his upbringing and society, rather than any sort of goal he might have in mind. (Like Lusamine or Lysandere)
Arkadelphiak
Arkadelphiak
Maybe you could include that in your fic? After all, the Generations universe is wide open.

Don't do it. I feel like it was the result of fixating on "I want my readers to see it EXACTLY as I do in my head." I've moved on from that by acknowledging that can't/won't happen and just using small, yet extremely expressive things to get my ideas across. Monologues and I aren't really friends; I tend to shorten them with dialogue or quick cuts. This probably says something about my personality, ya know?

): Poor Guzma! Also, what do you think of all the outfit similarities between Guzma/Xurkitree, Lusamine/Pheromosa, and Lillie/Nihilego? Also, fun fact: Nihilego is a combination of "nihil" (nothing) and "ego" (I) which really means "I am nothing."
Ghostsoul
Ghostsoul
I've considered adding something similar, although my original plan for the story was for it to be short, I think a major reason for me slowing down with my writing was me trying to created a 'middle section' in order for me to make more sense of the ending. Although my planned ending seems still sort of out-of-nowhere. I need better build up.

Hm. I'm just not all that talkative so natural speech is something perhaps even 'weird' to me. Although sometimes this results in character who do nothing but think about their internal conditions but don't take all that much action.

I always thought the outfits were down to Lusamine's influence somewhere (or to make the UBs seem more 'uncanny' and 'human like') this is somewhat confirmed with Lillie who states that her mother 'picks all her clothes out for her'. Kind of makes sense, Nihiliego is a Pokemon who has to infect others to fill their own personal 'void'. A bit like Lusamine herself if you think about it.
Arkadelphiak
Arkadelphiak
Hey, it might be a way to shake things up. Maybe Saturn utilizes the UBs for selfish reasons so he can get Cyrus back? Who knows!

I used to be quite shy as a kid/teenager, but now I can sit there and talktalktalktalktalk endlessly (thank you, college!), so that may be a factor. I feel like dialogue can get more information across than description. Like that excerpt with IO and the Director that I sent you. It's mostly dialogue, but boy, does it set things up.

Yeah, I can see that. Man, Nihilego is becoming one of my favorite Pokemon . . . and I love having a Toxic user on my team (thank you based Golisopod), so I may have to hurry up and do the UB missions so I can catch one.
Ghostsoul
Ghostsoul
Hmmm, I considered Cyrus actually getting back to Saturn himself. Let's just say Arceus's obsession with balance has something important to do with the plot...
Well balance itself has to.

I am yet to go to Uni/Collage! I will be by the end of this year (or should be). I'll finally get to meet some people perhaps! Perhaps I should experiment with introspection, dialogue and description. I'll see what works for me.

I like Nihilego, it has a neat backstory and design. Well I like all the UBs really. If I want to use my Nihilego though I might have to adjust their move-set to something that could work in the battle tree.
Arkadelphiak
Arkadelphiak
Nice. I've found that exploring even minor themes can bring upon better plotlines and help you discover more character depth. Like entropy, AHAHAhhahaaaSPOILERS

I think you'll love it. It's infinitely better than intermediate schooling (although I have no idea how it works in the UK). Get in a ton of clubs, join your major's professional society, and be friends with your professors. DO IT. Although I'm one of those hyper-intensive overachievers, so you don't really have to take my route, ha.

Yeeees, Nihilego is great. And how does the Battle Tree compare to the Battle Frontier? That thing was such a massive challenge when I was a kid. I was so disappointed when ORAS didn't include it.
Back
Top Bottom