Bulbagarden

Esserise
Esserise
Thanks for letting me know. I actually checked back a few weeks ago to see if you’d posted any of it yet - I’ll be sure to read it soon when I get some time to sit down. Our Wi-Fi was down for almost all of yesterday and today though, so I haven’t had much access (I am at someone else’s house for only a brief time right now).
Silktree
Silktree
Here's the link (couldn't post it before): https://forums.bulbagarden.net/index.php?threads/reverberations-of-time.243194/

I started writing about a month ago. And as I'm sure you noticed, I'd been gone from BMGf for over two months until recently... because I was banned. Let's just say that I needed to be taught a lesson about passive aggressiveness, although they went way overboard. But hey, I didn't miss a single thing aside from Misty and Brock's return, and even then certain people had to use the opportunity to mock my theory about SM taking place in the movie universe. I would have been banned again if I'd replied to them, lol.

(Obviously, I'm glad to have been proven wrong. But it doesn't change the fact that the continuity is a mess and the anime staff waited five whole months to truly commemorate the show's roots. The movie lacks any context, which is just a shame given the subject matter of Ash, Pikachu and Ho-Oh.)

All I want from USUM, in the likely absence of Alolan forms for Johto critters, is that Lillie will still go to Kanto, or at least Johto if the ending needs a twist. And I wouldn't mind to see Mohn get a proper villain, but if it means turning him into a Cyrus-like villain...
Esserise
Esserise
Sorry to hear that. I had assumed that you had just drifted off; you had been previously mentioning that as a possibility after USUM were announced. But it is good to see you back.

The endpoint of Lillie’s arc in USUM is pretty much my main point of interest in the new story. Leaving it in exactly the same place doesn’t feel quite right to me, but the more drastically it diverges from SM’s ending, the more it will call into question which version is the “true” one and therefore, the one that any future games may refer back to. I suppose this could be possible, but I have a bit of a hard time believing that SM’s ending was a meaningless throwaway meant to be overwritten by a better version *or* that it was a rushed improvisation; I think it is set up by too much of the rest of the plot to not have been intended.

I have considered that USUM may be relegated away as an inconsequential alternative universe tale like M20, but then, that film is a lot more self-evidently disconnected from the main anime series. USUM are a lot more like SM, so them being squared off into an irrelavant sidebar could just make things more confusing.

On a sort-of related note, I recently saw you mention the possibility of Kanto sequels being the debut Switch game. To start with, I like your resilience. But my confidence took a blow with the USUM announcement; do you really think that’s possible? I would of course, love to see it (and part of me actually finds it preferable to the idea of them being on the 3DS), but statistically speaking, I cannot help but think that Game Freak will simply stick to the formula and refuse to innovate. It’s not as if they *actually* have to work hard in order to sell games - “Core Pokémon RPG on Switch” would sell itself even if the games were, say, DP-level in quality.
Silktree
Silktree
What else would Lillie do? Stay in Alola like Gladion? That would be boring. If she goes to a non-Kanto region, I think that Johto is more likely than others. And actually, I'd like to see a shift to Johto since that would make Kanto/Johto sequels more likely, possibly with one version following SM and the other USUM.

Either way, I want them to reference SM instead of USUM since Lillie confronting her mom doesn't seem like the angle for the latter games. But we'll see.

My stance on sequels for the initial versions is based on the following points:

1. Game Freak only recently went on board with the Switch. What did they plan last year beyond the rather inconsequential USUM?

2. Why would they consider a 2018 release date if they were just following the pattern? If the project hadn't started as a 3DS game, then its development would be very fresh. (They waited until after March to give the Switch a chance. They're still nervous about it.)

3. I don't think that most fans are dying to see a new region; they're just expecting it based on the pattern. Likewise, designing a new region every 3 years is probably not an easy thing to do. Using an existing map should be quite a bit easier, especially when Game Freak live in Tokyo.

4. The Game Informer interviewer asked Masuda and Ohmori about Lillie going to Kanto. Even though they gave a non-answer about the symbolism of parting ways, the interviewer further asked if it might foreshadow the future, prompting Masuda to "give him shifty eyes."

None of the above points are as strong as what I had to say about the likelihood of a second 3DS-based generation. But it is also not that important if sequels happen in 2018-2019 or later, as long as they happen by 2021 and are worth the wait.

(One thing that worries me is how good any 2021 games would be if they followed DP remakes in 2020. Game Freak had a decent streak with Platinum, HGSS and BW, but the Switch is a bigger beast to tackle. Although that brings up another point: Neithet sequels nor remakes would need to present a graphical overhaul so much as a HD version of the Alola style, with adjustable cameras. And uh, walking Pokemon after 9+ years.)

I am not going to actively think about it since it's unhealthy to get invested in something out of my control. And luckily, I have my fanfic to keep the Pokemon-oriented side of my brain busy.
Silktree
Silktree
Here's a link to the podcast: https://youtu.be/qi4bxT_Bb4c

The relevant part starts around 25:00, but you might want to watch the whole 30-ish minutes. The two guys that actually interviewed Masuda and Ohmori seem to be Pokemon buffs, and the other two weigh in. It is actually the black-haired guy that shifts the discussion fron remakes to sequels. Which is a "no duh" if Lillie's path is being used as evidence, but he raises a strong point about remakes being too restrictive.
Esserise
Esserise
Well, that's the trouble of course. Her staying in Alola wouldn't be very interesting unless they have something really crazy up their sleeves (they don't), but if she does leave, it doesn't seem as though it will be under quite the same circumstances. I don't think a mere change from Kanto to Johto would help all that much - logically it's kind of a strange distinction to make because they're neighbors anyway; she's technically going to both already since it's literally one super-fast train ride from Saffron to Goldenrod. And also I still have my doubts that Johto means all that much to Game Freak in comparison to Kanto, so I wouldn't expect them to whip out a Johto reference as a replacement twist as if it were on equal standing with Kanto, even if they were both going to be part of the next games.

You mentioned Mohn being a villain, which spawned an idea in my head right as I was lying down to sleep. I don't have this sketched out in any particular way, and I haven't run with the villain idea myself but you could probably spin it that way, or in quite a few different ways if you wanted to. Now, me personally, I don't think I've ever been particularly intrigued by Mohn beyond his function as a catalyst for Lusamine's breakdown, but I won't deny that there is room to work with there. Maybe in USUM's universe, Mohn fell into an Ultra Wormhole but was saved by Necrozma. Perhaps Mohn is in a critical condition in some other universe, and Necrozma is merely trying to reach out to his family in the most immediate way it can think to. Maybe being in its prism form limits its energy, and then traveling across universes has drained its power even more, which is why it needs to leech off of Nebby. Anyway, following this sort of general framework, they could have Lillie reunite with Mohn and then have her and Lusamine take *him* to Kanto, which diverges from SM in a way that's reasonably different in context but still achieves the same end. Granted, you lose the symmetry of the Bill/Lusamine fusions, but it's not hard to come up with a replacement reason for Kanto being their destination. Off the top of my head, they could tout how much more advanced Kanto is than Alola (HINT HINT) and say that they're taking him to a medical facility for treatment. Or something. As I said, it doesn't matter too much in that regard as long as they get there.

Unfortunately, their general lack of ambition has me doubting that they'll go with something resembling your plague idea, but in theory, they could still do so even with these changes - they could say that Mohn picked up some unknown contaminants when he was lost outside the universe.

Anyway. Thank you for linking that interview - I watched some of their coverage a while back, but I didn't see that one. I know it's all still speculation, but it is at least, in a very small way, reassuring to see the idea of Kanto sequels being raised by other people. As far as those listed points go, well, I can say that they all make sense and that generally, relying on the most popular and accessible generation to be the foundation for a venture that Game Freak are nervous about seems like straightforward logic... but I said all of that last time, too. <:p Nevertheless, fingers crossed, albeit not too tightly.
Silktree
Silktree
Yeah, the idea that they would save Mohn crossed my mind. But it would be a bit tricky to explain what happened to non-USUM players, who in all likelihood will be the majority.

I think that Lillie is going to start training a Vulpix in USUM, but it may not even evolve. And ultimately, by her own admission, she wanted to leave Alola to have her own journey. That shouldn't change regardless of any shenanigans with her parents.

And I'm perfectly fine with my plague idea remaining my own since I'm actually using it now, without Lillie's family being involved.
Silktree
Silktree
I've posted the fanfic on four places: here, SPPf, Pokemon Community and Fanfiction.net. The latter seems the most professional and gets more activity, but the general quality seems amateurish. We'll see.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12690976/1/Reverberations-of-Time

The best advantage of this platform is that if someone wants to follow a fanfic, they can get automatically notified of new chapters.
Back
Top Bottom