Bulbagarden

Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
Hi there Ebail. I have heard about Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist Link Evolution. I'm definitely going to get it. I didn't think that they would release another Yu-Gi-Oh! video game on a Nintendo system after how Zexal Duel Carnival turned out. They haven't announced it for a western release, but it seems likely given that they released the first Legacy of the Duelist game before. I'm also really excited that I can play with Arc V characters. I know that it will include the new rules from Vrains, along with characters from that terrible series, but I've waited for ages for an Arc V video game and this is probably the closest I'll get to that until they add Arc V in Duel Links, so I'm going to take it. Plus, I still want to play with some of the different archetypes from Arc V. I'd love to play an Odd Eyes deck after all this time, although I don't know how difficult that will be with the new rules. I might be able to make it work well enough with these new rules.
Reactions: Ebail
Ebail
Ebail
I'm going to assume it's going to get a Western release only because apparently they did liscence the title in other areas besides Japan. I know that doesn't make it a for sure but it does help its case, especially since as you said the original game was released here. I'm glad to see you showing interest in getting it. I've been looking forward to being able to play a full version of Arc-V as well since the original Legacy of the Duelist cut it off at the Friendship Cup first round and even then was only via DLC. The Odd-Eyes deck might not be that far fetched to do. I did see in the most recent info they mentioned about having custom rules so (as it would make sense for the story mode via pre Vrains) I wouldn't rule out the possibility of there being duels without the Extra Monster zone
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
I've also heard rumors that there was a trademark for the game's title, which makes the idea of western release more likely if that is the case. I remember that there was some DLC of Arc V content for the original game, but they'll hopefully be able to include all of that and possibly more in this game. I really miss the World Championship series where you could play through certain arcs of the current anime. I'd absolutely love to play through Arc V's storyline, but I'm totally happy with playing as the characters too. I didn't hear about the custom rules, but that does make sense. A lot of the decks prior to Vrains wouldn't really benefit from the new rules and it would feel forced to make players play Link Monsters in every part of the storyline, even though that would fit with how Konami has handled Link monsters in general. That's good to know since I want to play an Odd Eyes deck so much and not being able to do so in this game would be disappointing. I'd still get the game regardless just for the Arc V characters, as well as because I want more Yu-Gi-Oh! video games, but hopefully I can play different archetypes.
Ebail
Ebail
Yeah I mean when the game came out it was actually only a US release so as such they didn't wanna go ahead of the dub and without DLC the game only included one Arc V duel. I'm sure though that for the most part it'll be included since as far as duels go it did include all the important, non filler DM. GX and 5Ds had some stuff from the end missing since they never finished in the dub but since this is being made based on the original versions in Japan I see no reason that all duels, for the most part, won't be included. And yeah I think they have to, for at least story mode, let you use the old rules. I mean just take dueling Reiji or Zarc for example. Their whole deck was meant to swarm the field from the extra deck, and since they didn't use Link monsters like characters now then their deck would be mostly pointless. Wouldn't work out well from a story point if Zarc could only summon one Extra Deck monster. Yeah I miss the World Championship games too. They really retold the story of whichever anime arc well, as opposed to the Tag Force games which while fun sorta really chopped up the story. Or made too many duels into Tag Duels which really changed the story around. I'm looking forward to all the different archetypes myself. When I finished playing the original Legacy of the Duelist I'd been using a Red Dragon Archfiend/Resonator deck. I wanna use all sorts of different Arc V decks though.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
Yeah, I don't think that the dub was far in Arc V when the original game came out. I'd be so happy if Zarc was included in this game. I don't know how much of each series they'd cover, especially when it sounds like it will be a digital-only release in Japan, but it would be cool if they covered as much as they can with every series. That's one reason why I really don't like Link monsters. Most of the decks from Arc V heavily relied on summoning multiple Extra Deck monsters, but Link monsters and the new rules kind of made that impossible for some of those archetypes to do. The World Championship games were pretty fun, although I think trying to make an entire story based on the first arc in 5D's wasn't the best idea considering it was a lot of setup for the Dark Signer arc. I never played the Tag Force games, but I've heard good things about them. Trying out different archetypes sounds pretty fun.
Ebail
Ebail
Yeah so taking that into account when the game was in production there probably was next to no dub Arc V which is why they probably at least splashed in one duel to act as a tutorial on Pendulum Summoning. I'm sure though that the game will included all the duels from the original Legacy of the Duelist and then whichever afterwards. Probably the rest of the Friendship Cup, probably most of the Xyz dimension skipped except maybe a duel with Kaito and Edo, and then I guess whichever duels they found most important from the Fusion dimension. Given how the first game was, in that only few monsters had 3D animations, there was no voices or character 3D models it does leave a lot of room to add in duels. Yeah definitely, I mean I guess they didn't have much of a choice doing the World Championship game based on only the first 20 something episodes but still after GX Spirit Caller, World Championship 2008 had a story mode with just duels against monsters and DM and GX characters were just duels outside of story. I think they probably should have just went down that road for 2009 and then they could have just made the story mode of 2010 longer including the Fortune Cup. The Tag Force games were certainly fun. It was fun to see certain characters have a story play out of them, like in Tag Force 4 when in addition to Misty or Carly as a Dark Signer they had unique stories in their regular form too.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
I'd imagine that they'd want to include Ed and Kaito if they included Jack and Crow for the Friendship Cup portion of the game. I kind of hope that they'll include the Japanese voices for the western release since they have that option available for Duel Links too. I loved GX Spirit Caller. That was the first Yu-Gi-Oh! video game that I really enjoyed and I played through it so much. They probably should have waited until they could cover the first two arcs in 5D's for a video game. Stardust Crusaders just ends all of a sudden, while Reverse of Arcadia felt more like a complete story. As much as I miss the World Championship series, I'm not surprised that they didn't keep it up. I doubt that it sold well enough even with the free cards that came with the games. I've seen a bit of Tag Force 4 since it had some nice Jack and Carly moments, which I desperately needed after the Dark Signer arc.
Ebail
Ebail
I mean I don't think it's honestly a stretch since the two of them will already be in the game via GX and Zexal respectively so its just a matter of giving them their Arc V deck in that portion of the story. This reminds me they released some screenshots today and looking close enough it does seem to confirmed that pre Vrains story it's the old style of field, without the Extra Monster zone. I just hope we get a release date soon, if not I might need to buy the Japanese version first and only use cards I know the effect of, just like Tag Force 6 all over again. But yeah you're right, while it is a shame that they stopped making World Championship games I'm not too surprised. Even still they were always great. Its kinda weird, DM got so many games when there were so few cards back in the day on Gamboy and Gameboy Advanced, then GX got a good amount as did 5Ds. Then after it's just like they didn't care at all any more for the most part. And yeah the extra stories that break away from the anime were my favorite parts of the 5Ds Tag Force games.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
I saw those screencaps earlier today. I didn't notice about the lack of the Extra Monster Zone. I was just focused on how they featured a scene from fairly late into Arc V's storyline, but that's still really good. Hopefully that means I can play with the old rules in the story modes prior to Vrains. I hope that we'll get a U.S. release date soon too. At least buying the Japanese version would be possible if it comes down to that, but it hopefully won't be too long before a U.S. release in announced. It should be easier if it is going to be a digital only game. It isn't too surprising that DM go so many video games. While there were fewer cards back then, the franchise was still at its peak of popularity around that time, especially in the U.S., so we would get more video games. I imagine that the poor sales from GX and 5D's video games made the process of making more for video games less financially possible. It is still disappointing that we never got a proper Arc V video game though. Even Zexal had that Duel Carnival 3DS game. Hopefully this Switch game will help make up for that. I'm glad that I can play a Yu-Gi-Oh! video game on the Switch, but new Arc V content is definitely the most exciting thing about it for me.
Ebail
Ebail
I decided to look really closely because I was curious about it and wanted to make sure. And yeah with a screenshot that late from Arc V pretty much has to confirm we're getting Zarc, I mean I dont see how they'll end Arc V in game without him. Not like they can go from Yuya vs Yuri to Yuya vs Reiji with nothing in between. Yeah I hope we get a release date for us soon. I'm fine buying the Japanese version too since it won't be too much money but still no sense in having 2 versions of the game if it comes out not much longer later. Yeah it's just the DM games made me laugh. Besides Joey and maybe Yugi most people didnt have enough cards for a deck so it was just signature cards and filler, like Kaiba had his Blue-Eyes White Dragons but the rest were just high attack monsters. Some like Ishizu or Marik just had a totally random deck since they had almost no cards out yet. Yeah same here. Tag Force Special as far as Arc V went had the same misfortune as the first 5Ds World Championship game, they only had about 20 episodes to work with. It was so bad that Reiji only had about 4 monsters, and Kurosaki and Yuto both only had one for the most part. And Zexal Duel Carnival was butchered real bad when the US version came out so I'm not shocked that it sold poorly. I think the original Japanese version let you play as 40 characters or so while the US cut it to only like 13 so. Yeah I'm glad to finally have a more in depth Arc V story in a game, and more so that its on the Switch since I can just pick it up and play whenever that way.
Back
Top Bottom