• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden

Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
Well at least you didn't have too much trouble with it!

Understandable, I liked both just fine but still prefer Ephraim's. Oh, is that a good thing or bad thing? (just curious)
Trainer Gabriel
Trainer Gabriel
Yeah, I wasn't quite expecting a ship-style battlefield quite like the one in Awakening... though I suppose I should have figured that. I think I actually struggled a bit more on another map on the route. Lol.

I guess what I meant is that I said before that I probably liked SS better than Awakening before, but now... I'm not so sure anymore. Some of the maps in Ephraim's route reminded me of some maps in Awakening - maybe it was just some excessive reinforcements. Maybe it's just because I needed to see more supports, but I also don't think any of the hero characters stood out to me that much. But then, I didn't really like the way support conversations had to be done in battle, tbh (or is there another way?). I also felt that while the mains Lords were decent characters in their own right, they also weren't really very remarkable enough to stand out, either; I felt their opposing characteristics were just too extreme one way or the other. I don't know... I'd probably rank Awakening and Sacred Stones about on par as of right now.

On another note, I'm glad to hear that you purchased KotOR from GOG! :D I don't believe the game had ever gone on sale between now and when you created an account, so I'm guessing you just bought it at full price... not that $10 is that much, anyway. Since you said that you planned to start the game soon, does that mean you can run it well enough on your computer with movies enabled? Are there any other games you've bought from GOG as well?
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
Yeah Awakening does take after some previous games when it comes to map designs/missions. Especially the world map navigation, which it does take cues from both Gaiden and SS. As for supports, yep it's old school on that part, they do the same thing in SoV where supports are done through battle. But overall understandable, I rank SS higher than Awakening though that's mostly cause of nostalgia and it was pretty much my first FE, but removing that bias yeah SS and Awakening are about equal in terms of what you described.

Yeah I'll be starting it soon, hopefully sometime Monday evening after work. It runs well for me so far, nothing out of the ordinary! I'll see what else I'll get once I complete KOTOR. :)
Trainer Gabriel
Trainer Gabriel
I’m really starting to see how much Awakening borrows from previous FE installments even more now. I guess my main beef with how supports were done in SS is that I’m too focused on dealing with the enemy than to think about what the characters have to talk to each other about… in a battlefield of all places (lol). But I guess I’ll just have to keep this in mind when I get to the other two FEs I still have to play. I do still like the game, of course, and some of the antagonists had more depth to them than any from Awakening. Lyon’s story was surprisingly tragic, and I wish that I could’ve gotten the chance to recruit and redeem Orson and, probably more so, Selena, since I could sympathize with their respective reasons for doing what they did.

On another note, while I didn’t lose as many units this time around, I still lost more than half again, despite promising that I’d try to keep a lot more. :( Once again, I didn’t feel like restarting as many times as I did. I also failed to recruit certain characters who could've joined the team again... I didn't figure out how to recruit Joshua, in particular. I also decided to play the game on the Normal difficulty setting this time, but from what I understand and could tell, Normal is just Easy mode without the tutorial, anyway.

Well, as long you can play the game without disabling the movies, that should be good enough - you definitely don't want to play the game for the first time without those. If you'd like, I'd be happy to give you some tips before you start, as well as recommendations for other games from GOG! But believe me when I say that when you finish KOTOR, you'll want to play it again soon, if not immediately, to experience both paths and endings, depending on which path you take via the dialogue choices you make: the Light Side or the Dark Side! ;)
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
Yeah in universe when units battle with each other it's supposed to make their bond/friendship as allies get stronger hence the support convos on a map, though personally I'm also of the opinion that it can work just as well when units are at a base/camp like in Awakening and Fates for example (though, it's still better than having no supports at all like the Shadow Dragon remake). And yes, finally someone see's the tragedy of Lyon's story (a lot of other fans I've talked with hated/were annoyed by him). As for Selena you can recruit her though you need to go through the Tower of Valni three times in Creature Campaign, she's a secret recruitable character, and with Orson he's only a temporary character and there is no way to avoid it (he's a well written character though for someone that is pretty much insane).

For Joshua, kill off enemies around him and send in Natasha since he won't attack her, then you'll be able to talk to him with her. But make sure to send in a unit that can tank hits, preferably Seth or Gilliam, bait the enemies surrounding Joshua out kill them then Natasha should be able to reach him in about two turns or so.

Multiple endings? Definitely excited then, I like games that have multiple paths and endings (if done right at least). Might go Dark Side first cause reasons lol. I wouldn't mind more recommendations though!
Back
Top Bottom