Bulbagarden

Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
Well that's unfortunate. I thought that there would be some way to get new cards in the story mode. Konami not even bothering to update even the DM character decks sounds about right though. Even some of the level up rewards in Duel Links are pretty weak like that.
Reactions: Ebail
Ebail
Ebail
Yeah I can see to replay story mode more authentically I have to make all my own decks more traditional to the anime. And you're right about Duel Links. Especially GX. Yubel is a great example, having a copy of Yubel in the starter deck, it being a duel reward and it being a high level level up reward.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
The rewards for a lot of the characters are pretty weak. I just unlocked Lumis and Umbra and their rewards outside of Gems and coins are pretty bad. I don't mind that too much since I'll play as some characters just to earn more Gems, but it still isn't particularly good.
Ebail
Ebail
Oh really, they finally added those two huh? Admittedly I haven't opened the game in over a month when I saw no new duelists for April. I said to myself "really? So 5Ds is going to be the same as GX terribly ignored as far as duelists go for a while?" That plus the fact that the game was too quickly becoming buy as many new cards as possible since they were so focused on PvP now and the KC cup so often.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
I'm not sure why they added them, but at this point, I wouldn't be shocked if they included every named DM character in the game. 5D's might get more frequent updates compared to GX. I could see them including a Dark Signer event down the road, but we did get Kenzan and Saiou not that long ago. They definitely include new cards too often and that can make it difficult if you don't want to spend money on the game. At least they make it relatively easy to collect the in-game money, which is more than I can say for Pokemon Go.
Ebail
Ebail
Yeah I mean with how many characters we started with in DM before events even began it gave me high hopes for GX and 5Ds but then they just started us with so few and casually added them. Not to mention locking their signature cards in packs from 5Ds. They could have at least had the starter deck have a secondary signature card. The gems they offer are pretty good although it's still not entirely enough if you wanna own every card with how quick they kept releasing packs. And you're right about GO. Back before I stopped playing I barely had time in a gym to get any coins. Now I'm either knocked out of a gym in 2 hours or 3 days and like no inbetween. Very tough to get coins which sucks since I could always use more Incubators.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
Admittedly, DM does have a larger cast and it is more recognizable compared to the spin-off series. I'm not too surprised that it has more of a priority in terms of releasing characters, but I do find it annoying that they'll make some one shot characters playable while it took them ages to make prominent GX characters available. I can understand locking the Signer dragons in packs. Most of them would be pretty overpowered to have right out the gate, so keeping them available only through their Skills at first made sense, especially if they wanted to introduce some less powerful Synchro monsters in the first few 5D's packs.

That's certainly true that it's hard to get most of the cards with how often they release packs. Not to mention you'll have to spend money to get multiple copies of Super and Ultra Rare cards. I usually don't buy packs or starter decks unless they're on sale, but I try to use the Gems when I can. It is incredibly hard to get coins in Pokemon Go by comparison. You can only get fifty coins a day at most through the Gyms and most of my Pokemon don't last longer than a day. I'll have to buy coins for the incubators and for extra Pokeballs, which is pretty annoying.
Ebail
Ebail
The signer dragons, yes I'll give you that, but then like I said in addition to the skill their starter deck should have at least included another signature card. I mean at least in the case of when the 5Ds world dropped we got a free Junk Warrior so it covered Yusei. But eh maybe I'm just nitpicking.

See I don't mind not lasting longer than a day since it'd only be the 50 coins anyway, and since I work right near 3 gyms in walking distance (6 if I wanna go a bit further) so its probably because of that that I'll last days in a gym and hardly get any coins.

The Arc-V story is pretty fun. I mean Graceful Charity is in multiple decks which is annoying as a filler since they could have thrown in something not banned but eh. There is a fair amount of duels, and to my surprise (and delight) Asuka and Edo in Arc-V actually were given their correct Arc-V clothing/model as opposed to them just carrying over and using the GX one which wouldn't have shocked me.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
Including another signature card would have helped with giving players different options for their decks right away, but they probably wanted players to use their Skills to get their Signer Dragons too. It isn't too bad when there are ways to get cards without paying a lot of money for them, but there's obviously a huge advantage for those willing and able to spend the money needed to get all of the cards.

I just wish that we could get coins through some other way. I'd love getting coins whenever we battle and defeat other Gyms. Coins as level up rewards would be nice too, but by a certain point, it takes too long to level up in Go.

I'm glad that the Arc V story is fun to play through. That's also pretty neat that they kept Ed and Asuka in their Arc V designs too. I knew that they were in the Arc V mode along with Jack, Crow and Kaito, but I didn't get a good look at their designs to see if that had changed. I heard that there is going to be a physical release for the game in the U.S., so that's pretty exciting. I would have been okay buying it digitally, but I much rather have a physical copy. There's a good chance that it's the only Vrains related merchandise I'll buy, but I'm fine with that if that means I can play through the Arc V mode of the game.
Ebail
Ebail
You know after all this discussion about Duel Links I realized what I stopped playing for. It got too repetitive with the Speed Duel format decks. There's just something missing to me. It's like when the AI set a facedown card you usually know what it is and know how to counter since there are so few choices in the deck and all have one theme. I'd like it more if they had a few different rotating decks for certain levels.

I don't think getting 10-20 coins for defeating a gym would be unrealistic. They could even cap that at a set amount daily too. Yeah leveling up really should have granted us coins too. That reminds me too, would you like to exchange Go friend codes or nah?

Yeah it would have looked wrong to me if their carried over their same look. The story of Arc V was pretty nice. I was surprised to see some certain duels in it but they did omit some odd ones that they could have had. Like Duel Chaser 227 is in story as a duel vs Yugo but then they don't include his duel with Yuya which really seems pointless since both are in the game anyways. Yeah I saw that about a physical release which is cool. Probably means it'll include some nice exclusive card(s). Don't even worry about thinking its Vrains merchandise. It only even includes the first 3 duels from Vrains and they have no dialogue, it just skips right to the start of those duels.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
Yeah, I can understand how repetitive the Speed Duel format decks can be an issue. They don't normally update the AI decks until they introduce a new world, but since that only happens once a year, rotating decks around so that the strategies don't become so predictable would be nice. That might be one reason why they almost always have some event going on in the game. It never bothered me that much since I'll still get terrible hands or the AI decks will still have combos that break through my strategies. Whenever they use the Gem Fusion card, it's pretty hard to make a comeback. Plus, this is still the only way I can play the game and the repetitive format works for what Duel Links is generally supposed to be. I certainly wouldn't be against having more variety against the AI decks though.

There really should be easier ways to get coins. It's not like they're hurting for money at this point and getting Incubators is a pretty huge part of the game. We can exchange Go friend codes. There is mine: 2708 4525 8149. It can take me awhile to open and send gifts, but I'm trying to work on that.

I'm glad that the Arc V storymode was pretty neat. I'm so eager to play it. That is a weird choice for the Duel Chaser 227 match. That is a pretty key bit of foreshadowing with Zarc, so I don't know why they didn't keep it, especially when Zarc is in the game. I didn't think of exclusive cards for the physical release, but that makes sense. I remember other video game releases had cards to help attract more people to buy them. I still absolutely love that there is so little Vrains in this game. I'm almost positive that they'll include more as DLC, but knowing that there is so few duels with only a small handful of characters appeals to the bitter part of me so much. It seems like such a strange decision when Vrains has been out for nearly two years and they could probably adapt at least the first season for the game. It probably wouldn't be as jarring as when they only adapted the first arc of 5D's for Stardust Acceleration. Yusaku is right alongside Yami Yugi on the cover, so one would think that they'd give more attention to Vrains. I'm still super happy about it though.
Ebail
Ebail
It's funny now because while at work yesterday I got a YouTube video recommendation notification that was showing about Kiryu being added so I was like "cool they added another 5Ds character I'm going to start playing again" and then sure enough I load the game and feel disappointment seeing it's just another roaming Duel-a-Thon. But at least I managed to pull almost all the new UR cards in under 50 packs opened so that helped my mood with the game.

Yeah really. I loved back in December when they gave you the one use Incubators for hitting a Pokestop. Like you said some coins wouldn't kill them. I know you can easily play the game for free (when around enough stops anyway) given that all Pokeballs are free and whatnot but hatching eggs is important and one at a time doesn't really cut it.

Yeah like I said they removed a lot of the DLC duels from the original because they were only in that game so characters could be added. Like Jack and Yuya's first duel was in there but not in the Switch version for example. Same thing with Yuya and Sora's first duel since that one was originally added as DLC so Sora would be in the game. As far as more Vrains duels go I'm not sure if they will be added or not. When the original game came out Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon had been out for a while now and other cards from its release pack were in but it was locked via DLC paywall because Yuto wasn't included in the base game. In this case though I don't see any missing cards like all of Revolvers cards seem to already be in the game so unless they add more duels for free (which seems like a stretch for Konami) I guess despite saying its focused on Vrains it really isn't, but I know that makes you happy.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
Well they usually have an event featuring a new character before they make them unlockable in Duel Links. Jack and Ushio weren't unlockable until the second time they were given an event and now they can be unlocked through character based missions. There was a notice in-game listing future events and it does sound like Kiryu will be unlockable by sometime late June. I'd be kind of surprised if they only have Dark Signer Kiryu in Duel Links. They have other evil only versions of other characters like Bakura, Marik and Saiou, but I figured that Kiryu was pretty popular even without being a villain. It does give them the chance to use some Dark Signer characters and possibly introduce the Earthbound Gods into Duel Links too. I'm still hoping that they'll put Carly in the game, even if it is just Dark Signer Carly. I want Jack and Carly to have some interactions, although I'm still surprised that they didn't give Yusei any different lines when he's dueling against Kiryu in the game.

The free incubators events are pretty neat and helpful, but they are still pretty limited when they only work once. Hatching one egg at a time would be so annoying and difficult to do. Eggs are a huge part of the game and they can help with finding new Pokemon or getting more candies. They have made impressive progress with Pokemon Go considering how it started, but there are still some more improvements they could make to help make it better for players.

That is too bad that some of the DLC duels weren't included for the Switch version, but since those were only put in so certain characters could be added into the game, I can see why they wouldn't be featured. It might also have been a space issue, but I don't know how much data a Switch game has compared to what they were using for the original Legacy of the Duelist. That is quite strange about how the game treats Vrains. If Revolver's cards are already in there, then that makes not including him even weirder. If this was early in Vrains' run, then this would make sense, but they could have adapted at least season one into the game. But it is certainly true that the game not being focused on Vrains despite the marketing makes me really happy. I still hate the series immensely. I honestly don't know if season two was worse than season one, but season two hit a lot of similar beats that season one did. Even the last arc of the series had basically everyone else "dying" so that Yusaku had the save the day again. Knowing that the new video game has such little Vrains content makes the bitter part of me so happy. I can just focus on playing on the other story modes and have fun with it.
Ebail
Ebail
Well I know at least in the case of Marik when Yami Marik's event was around they kept making it seem like once you beat him and the event ended regular Marik would be coming, so you never know there is always the chance of him at least for that reason alone, especially since Yami Marik was confirmed in game as being revived by Kaiba so no reason logically why both can't be in game. As for Kiryu yeah it would make a lot of sense to have his Crashtown version in the game as well. If nothing else he should just be a selectable "alternate attire" of sorts where its all the same Kiryu via decks and level up but he looks different and has different lines. At least that's how the Tag Force games did things like Tag Force 6 specially. Oh there's no doubt they'll add Dark Signer Carly to me. I expect all the Dark Signers. But who knows, regular Carly could even be in one day since the regular Fortune Fairy cards she had became real cards earlier this year.

Yeah hatching an egg at a time stinks. I'm still only hatching one at a time now because I'm saving my coins for an Adventure Box to get all those incubators at once. Yeah the game has definitely gotten better since it started at least. No more all Caterpie and Pidgey only for me in the city. Definitely would like some more features though. Like ability to send a friend request to people in a gym with you or something.

Yeah I mean just to beat the 4 challenge decks from Vrains I built a Revolver deck and it's a full deck of all the cards he used in Season 1 so it's really odd to me that his cards weren't omitted or something and locked behind a DLC with him. Maybe because they faced a lot of criticism doing stuff like that last time with like Yuto. I'll have to read the episode summaries to catch myself up on Vrains to see how bad it really had gotten.

And yeah I had to keep summoning so many times to fulfill the ability to summon Z-ARC. Reiji being able to destroy cards easily really did help but still that was only one duel. Trying to summon Shooting Star Dragon in another took waiting until I could use Stardust Dragons effect to free up the Extra Monster Zone. And thank ya for the compliment on the avatar. I am particularly fond of the pose he's making in this one myself.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
Sorry for taking so long to respond back. I've had a busy week. They do have a sprite of regular Marik, but it was only used for the Battle City themed events. I'm not sure if there's much demand to play as regular Marik compared as Kiryu or even Bakura, but having alternate forms available would be pretty neat. I'm not sure if they'll have all of the Dark Signers. Aside from Kiryu, Carly and maybe Misty, most of the Dark Signers aren't too popular. They might do it in order to include all of the Earthbound Gods though. There is Godwin as well, but he's a main villain, so he'll be in the game at some point.

I will pay them good money to make wireless trading possible. They can make it so that you can only trade online with only Ultra or higher friends or something like that, but it needs to happen yesterday. It would also be nice if the newer Pokemon weren't so rare to find in the eggs. Aside from the Sinnoh starters, it's pretty hard for me to find eggs with Sinnoh Pokemon in them.

It is still strange to not include Revolver given his popularity and they have his cards available. The episode summaries might not cover the full scope of how terrible the series has gotten. I will say that the final arc for season two played out almost exactly like season one did. Everyone "died", Aoi "died" in Akira's arms for maximum angst, it all came down to Yusaku again because he's the only character that matters and everyone was revived, making all of that angst even more hallow and pointless. Ai is now a villain for some reason and equally as confusing, Bohaman is suddenly a good guy again. In short, you haven't missed anything.

I just wish that they made the Link monster rules only for the Vrains part of the game, but since it makes such a short amount of it, I guess I can see why that didn't happen. Most Yuya pictures make me feel pretty happy too.
Ebail
Ebail
You honestly have no need or reason to apologize for taking a few days to respond. I mean afterall how long do I make you wait for my response sometime? I'm sure enough people would accept a normal Marik because gems and rewards and whatnot. From what I had seen though when people did data mine there were exclusive skills listed for a regular version of Marik. I can still see all the Dark Signers in the game though, one way or another. I expect them all to be featured via a story like how we played through Duelist Kingdom or Battle City events.

Yeah really. There's no need for it to be restrictive with trading, especially since the days of WiFi really began global trading became a staple of Pokemon. Eggs frustrate me a lot sometimes. I hatched my first Feebas back in December and stopped playing for a few months again but had the tracker left on so all that time I at least collected the candy, then caught a shiny one and got enough candy to evolve it. But then the next two 10k eggs I found were both Feebas. It's cool to get more spare candy but it was annoying to hatch the same thing from what's suppose to be rare eggs multiple times in a row.

Ehhh, I caught up anyway on the series. When I saw your message I'd just gotten to Flame and Windy's duel and now just finished Yusaku and Bohman. I mean I'd like to say I'm surprised but honestly it's Yu-Gi-Oh!, they always do this it seems. Yami Yugi vs Dartz or vs Noah. Even vs Pegasus when their duel was closed off to his friends. And the dying thing too, that's just too standard. This time it's just more digital. How many times in DM did everyone lose their soul? Or 5Ds with people dying to become a Dark Signer before coming back to life? Or heck even everyone being carded in ARC-V. They always seem to redo these things. I think we were just spoiled by ARC-V personally. They tried to break the norm (except for the dying but not really dying) by not having the main character be the only hope for everyone or needing to save everyone in the end even though they did make it look that way. And even having a female duelist in the end be the hero to save the day. I will say I like Vrains more then I did Zexal but my biggest issue is I feel like duels aren't the main focus like prior series. It just feels like the duels are lacking. Like they're trying to make them more like real life ones now with characters using multiple of the same cards rather then a deck with no duplicate cards for the most part like we've always seen before.

Yeah. Mostly for GX and 5Ds I wish there was no Extra Monster Zone because Judai and Yusei's decks just don't really cut it without the use of multiple Extra Deck monsters. Same here, Yuya is always great to see. I'll need to go back to him soon. I always just use avatars that reflect however I currently feel. Or what's on my mind.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
I appreciate your understanding. I was just more busy than usual the past couple of weeks, so that made me take longer than usual to respond back. I didn't think that they would put regular Marik in Duel Links, but finding Skills exclusive to him in the data mine does make it more likely. They also just absolutely love putting in DM characters and they're running pretty low at this point, especially if they want to stick with characters from the canon arcs. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if they put in characters from the filler arcs like Noah and Dartz just because DM is most recognizable series out of the bunch.

I think that they want to be limited with trading because that would render the region exclusive Pokemon kind of moot, but I still think that concept for Pokemon Go is pretty stupid in itself. I'm not going to travel across the world just in the hope of finding rare Pokemon. I definitely understand the frustration of finding multiple Pokemon in the ten kilometer eggs. It was downright frustrating to get so many Dratini so often and wasting the super incubators. The only good thing about that was it made it easier to get to the Dragon Gold medal faster. Not to mention most five kilometer eggs at this point are pretty useless unless I get lucky with a Sinnoh Pokemon.

I thought that you started watching the series again based on your avatar. While I understand your point about the whole dead but then coming back to life point, I think that there are some key differences between how the other series handle it compared to what Vrains. DM had characters lose their souls, but that didn't happen at the end of every season or even the end of each major conflict. Some characters almost died, but it wasn't the same basic setup every time with every villain like it has been for Vrains thus far. They didn't overuse the whole characters losing their souls like Vrains does with the whole coma/practically dead deal. Some of the Dark Signers were brought back to life, but some of them also stayed dead like with Godwin, his brother and Demak, Ruka's opponent. Even Carly lost her memories. Granted, that was a stupid way to put her relationship with Jack back to square one, but it did show that there was at least some long lasting consequences from that arc. Not to mention Kiryu still had to deal with everything he did during the Crash Town arc.

Arc V also used carding sparingly. It was the main weapon Academia had, but up until Dennis carded himself, I think that we only saw minor and background characters being carded. They only started to card the main cast near the end of the series to show just how intense things were getting. Yeah, it was pretty much a guarantee that they would find someway to undo it, but we didn't get confirmation for that for years. That made it such an effective use of tension. Even the way it was eventually undone didn't negate the tension it created. Carded people were brought back to life, but only because the dimensions were starting to merge together and Zarc was about to destroy everything again. It wasn't an instant solution like how Yusaku defeating the big bad of the season instantly brings everyone back to life. The threat of being carded was always there whenever they dueled someone from Academia, but they never really negated it by having them undo it before the Zarc battle or find some way around it. It's honestly one of the best use of tension I've seen out of any of the series.
Hidden Mew
Hidden Mew
There might be some truth to us being spoiled by Arc V. It did do a lot of things differently than we normally see in this franchise and that helped to make it a more engaging series, but I don't think that's a major aspect of my issues with Vrains. I can compare Vrains with Arc V to better illustrate my points, but I still try to avoid doing that so it doesn't sound like I don't like Vrains just because it isn't Arc V. If it was a good standard Yu-Gi-Oh!, then I'd probably be okay with Vrains, or at least not hate it as much as I do, but calling it standard would be insulting to the franchise since Yu-Gi-Oh! can and has done much better than Vrains in my opinion. Yusaku being the only one to save the day wouldn't be that bad if the other characters got to do something besides hyping up his opponents after getting some token victories, but for the most part, they don't.

It would also help if Yusaku had better characterization and actual personal motivation to justify why he has to defeat the big villain of the season. Most of the other leads had personal reasons as to why they had to defeat the villains beyond just being the protagonist. Yusaku had that to duel against Revolver in season one, but he didn't really have to defeat Spectre. They had more build up for Yusaku to face off against Bohman, but the fact that he already defeated Bohman multiple times during season two really weakens that buildup. It would be like if Yugi kept defeating Pegasus throughout Duelist Kingdom instead of saving that match for the arc's finale. Yusaku didn't really have personal motivation either. He was dueling to save Jin, but he had no connection to Jin beyond Shoichi, so that wasn't really personal. Wanting humans to coexist with humans was a better motivation, but I don't think it was focused enough to make it work. Not to mention they suddenly have Yusaku regretting his fruitless desire for revenge even though Yusaku nearly everything he wanted by dueling for revenge. Season two is just a complete mess from start to finish. Onizuka's character was completely butchered beyond repair in my opinion, Aoi still doesn't get a meaningful victory and last arc hits nearly the same story beats as the first season finale did. They just threw in Shoichi's death and supposedly killed off the other Ignis for extra angst, but that's about it. The problem isn't that Yusaku defeats the main villain. The problem is that everyone keeps dying around him in order to hype up his opponents. There's no tension when they've pulled the same trick twice in a row and it makes the rest of the cast look pretty much useless. Aside from Zexal, I didn't think that the main/supporting cast was this useless. At least Shark and Kaito got important roles in Zexal's storyline. All of the characters aside from Yusaku are pretty much useless and could be replaced pretty easily.

The duels are pretty lacking in Vrains. I had similar issues with Zexal. Although, I think it's because none of the new archetypes are too appealing to me visually or provide enough interesting strategies to make me want to play them. Judai and Yusei's decks are really Extra Deck heavy, so I'm sure that the rule really doesn't work in their favors either. I still worry about how they'll handle eventually putting Link monsters into Duel Links, but since that probably won't happen for another couple of years at the earliest, I'm hoping that Konami will have better rules setup that doesn't completely negate all of the Extra Deck heavy decks already used in Duel Links. I usually stick with one avatar for a long time and then change it whenever I find something interesting. I have a lot of Lucario pictures to choose from too, although I have thought of getting a Yuya avatar to mix things up.
Back
Top Bottom