• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.
FinnishPokéFan92
Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Postings About

• It looks like some of Suede's Pokemon Journey videos haves been taken down.:(
    Once we're done with the Pikaclone theme and halloween avatars, can I do a theme in November? I want to do a theme with either Grass starters, Mythicals, or Ultra Beasts.
    I don't get it, why do you like that baseball episode?
    TRNatalie
    TRNatalie
    Continued

why is the rest of this guy's team... Not mentioned, as far as I can tell?
    That’s actually a really good criticism that I don’t see brought up about this episode. Even if they couldn’t fit them in the game for time and budget reasons, they could drop a few other names when Kukui and Ash are watching the game on t.v.

why is PokeBase even a thing in the Pokemon world
    Actually baseball’s always existed in the Pokémon world, it’s just it’s never involved Pokémon to this extent. Ash had a rival in the Johto saga that loved baseball with a mad fervor, especially Team Electabuzz (which is the team Olu Olu plays on) The whole reason Meowth went to Hollywood and met Meowzie was because some baseball players were a**holes about him knocking over a basket of baseballs and hung a poor kitten from a tree. Honestly my biggest criticisms with this episode are;
    1. As whenever baseball comes up in the series, why doesn’t Meowth have any trauma/a vendetta against baseball players from that incident? And don’t come at me with it’s just a one-off joke, Kojiro still has serious trauma and self esteem issues from “you’re not doing [blank] properly” and Musashi’s almost hilariously depressing backstory from Santa stealing her doll when she was very little to everyone she made any sort of connection with leaving her or hurting her to her best meals only being made of snow and other easy to gather materials has left her with all sorts of traumas, vendettas, abandonment issues, self doubt issues, all sorts of things! Nyasu hates Persian because every one he meets either looks down on him or takes someone he loves and his song is about his conflicting feelings of being the only talking Nyasu and how alone he feels. So why doesn’t that incident with the baseball players come up with Nyasu more?
    2. Isn’t having your Pokémon attack players from the opposing team to keep them from reaching a base cheating? Seriously, Wobbuffet had that fourth base.
    But they still should make sense, and best fillers are the ones that do impact something, either the world or the characters.

Here's an example: The Great Divide from Avatar the Last Airbender. We're introduced in the episode to two diffirent tribes who'se existence was not mentioned ever before, and who'se stories have nothing to do with the main plot.

So what does the episode do? Because the two tribes, and the war they wage is irrelevant to the story, the episode instead focuses on the main character, Aang. He is forced to be the mediator between those two tribes, which is pivotall to him growing as the Avatar, because he learns during the course of that episode what are the Avatar's duties, and by calming down the hatred between those two tribes, Aang lives up to those duties.
    First of all, hi fellow ATLA fan! :bulbaWave: I love that show and I love Zuko! Who’s your favorite character?
    Second, I find it ironic that you bring up “The Great Divide” as an example of filler done well when that episode’s consistently the most hated episode of that show (not that I hate it, it’s not one of my favorite episodes but I find the hate for it way overblown). If anything, I’d argue “The Ember Island Players” would be a better comparison to SM’s baseball episode. It’s just the characters watching and reacting to a propagandaized retelling of the show up til then, it barely adds anything to the plot but it’s one of the most popular episodes of the show because of it’s comedy and because the writers and animators are clearly having fun with it.

In conclusion, I won’t pretend it’s a perfect episode nor is it anything more than a fun, slice of life filler but it’s still a fun and enjoyable watch. Some of my favorite episodes are like that (Bridge Bike Gang, Wake up Snorlax, The Wayward Wobbuffet, The House Of Tricks from the Advanced season, SM 93 (another episode that was written by Fujisaku), etc) and sometimes that’s okay.
    LazySpy
    LazySpy
    Oh, hi Natalie, I wasn't expecting such a huge train of thoughts.

First, I'm going to adress what you said here about ATLA: I brought up the Great Divide because that episode, whilst hated, did develop Aang as a person and as an Avatar, whereas I wasn't seeing any signs of development in the baseball episode. Funny you should mention Ember Island players as a more accurate analogy, as they serve completelly diffirent purpose. Great Divide was just a simple (arguably) filler episode, much like the baseball episode in question was. Ember Island Players, on the other hand, was a goofy recap episode which showcased not just how Fire Nation viewed the story of ATLA and the characters, but also, the writers were showcasing their self awarness by poking fun at themselves and the flaws in their own writing. Self awarness is something that I'd argue not only Pokemon anime, but Pokemon franchise in generall, severly lacks, a lot.

This was an episode that both fitted the world where the story was set, and expanded the viewers view on that world, and showcased how much ATLA writing stuff cared about its show and recognized it's missteps.

It was a nice addition to the Avatar world, but also, a love letter to people who spend their time watching the show, and that's why it's liked.

I'd argue the only episode that had no signifance to the plot, the world or the characters was fan favourite 'The tales of Ba-Sing-Se'. This episode could serve as a better analogy to the baseball episode.

Also, my favourite character is most definietly, Uncle Iroh. I like everyone from the Avatar cast, actually. My second would have to be Sokka.

Now onto why Oluolu is famous, Oluolu wanting to give an autograph to Jessie was a nice touch, but he's also the same guy who had his Pokemon use a Z-Move to win a game with people who didn't have their own Z-Moves!? ARGHGGHGGGG, Oluolu, is that why you're fcking famous!?!?!! Because you pull out a Z-Move in the decisive moment!?!!? How is that fair game!?!!! What horrible lesson are you teaching those children, that it's okay to save yourself with a Z-Move when you lack skills required to achieve victory and when your opponent has a chance to win!??! How is that fair to players who don't have a Z-Moves!?! Also, I thought Z-moves can only be used by a person who believes in some kind of greater good!? Why use it to win a fcking sports match!? It's like Korra activating her Avatar State to win a match against Tenzin's children in the Legend of Korra.

Also, Oluolu being from Pokemon School and Melemele Island doesn't means much? I'm still yet to see any evidence the main cast learns anything usefull from the Pokemon School, and that it has a potentiall to raise tallented/famous people. Everything they learn about Pokemon they could learn from any other source, the only things unique to the Pokemon School are, as far as I can tell, field trips, and occasionall quests with something speciall to the table.

About them being young and wanting to have fun, that's fair, I guess. Lillie's participation might've been a stretch, yeah.

My bigger problem is that it doesn't develop the characters at all. They don't learn anything during that episode they use later on, the fact that they participated means solelly they wanted to have fun like every children their age do. It's the lack of significance to the plot that makes it seem pointless in the grand scheme of things, and I would forgive that if it had the same levell of character work as Tales of Ba-Sing-Se had. I'll repeat: The way it is it's not great, nor it is awfull. It's fine. Tolerable.
    And it's okay if someone likes it more than I did.

To be continued?
    TRNatalie
    TRNatalie
    First, I'm going to adress what you said here about ATLA: I brought up the Great Divide because that episode, whilst hated, did develop Aang as a person and as an Avatar, whereas I wasn't seeing any signs of development in the baseball episode. Funny you should mention Ember Island players as a more accurate analogy, as they serve completelly diffirent purpose. Great Divide was just a simple (arguably) filler episode, much like the baseball episode in question was. Ember Island Players, on the other hand, was a goofy recap episode which showcased not just how Fire Nation viewed the story of ATLA and the characters, but also, the writers were showcasing their self awarness by poking fun at themselves and the flaws in their own writing. Self awarness is something that I'd argue not only Pokemon anime, but Pokemon franchise in generall, severly lacks, a lot.

This was an episode that both fitted the world where the story was set, and expanded the viewers view on that world, and showcased how much ATLA writing stuff cared about its show and recognized it's missteps.

It was a nice addition to the Avatar world, but also, a love letter to people who spend their time watching the show, and that's why it's liked.

I'd argue the only episode that had no signifance to the plot, the world or the characters was fan favourite 'The tales of Ba-Sing-Se'. This episode could serve as a better analogy to the baseball episode.
    Yeah, you’re right about that, sorry. But even “Tales of Ba-Sing-Se” added to the series. It was a tribute to Mako Iwamatsu (Iroh’s first voice actor) and it expanded the characters of the main cast by showing what they get up to when off the clock and showing interactions we normally don’t get to see a whole lot of (Katara and Toph’s day out together for example).

(It’s conversations like this that reminds me not only how great ATLA is but how much I wish the Pokémon anime was written with the same level of care and respect, especially where misguided bad guys with a heart of gold coming to realize they have a heart of gold are concerned.)

Ah yes, I love Uncle Iroh, he’s great! And Sokka’s great too! “It’s a giant mushroom! I think it’s friendly!” And him saving the day in the final episode was awesome!

And yeah, that’s my biggest problem with this episode. That Pulverizing Pancake was completely unnecessary. (That might actually explain why everyone turns to Z-Moves to finish a battle off. It’s all your fault, Olu Olu!)
    It kinda does though in this case. To other regions, he’s probably the player on the Electabuzz with the really fast Snorlax but to MeleMele, he’s their guy. He’s the one who made it to the big leagues. To Kukui, that’s the same little boy who was sitting in his classroom what feels like only yesterday. That’s why he’s such a big deal to the main cast (except for Team Rocket, there’s no real reason why they should know who he is other than “Hey, you hit our friend with a ball!” and “Oh s***, this guy’s cute”) And yeah, the Pokémon School’s probably one of the biggest missteps in SM. There was a lot more they could’ve done with it but now it’s just a glorified backdrop.

Yeah, I don’t remember if Mallow encouraged Lillie to play but as someone who relates to pre-Aether Foundation arc Lillie a lot, I have a really hard time imagining her being interested in sports and playing with everyone else unless it was part of a curriculum (like gym class) or something big was going on (like an athlete coming to your school and offering to play a game with you, for example)

That’s fair. I can agree with that. The only major character work in this ep is establishment of Lana’s competitive streak (I’m pretty sure this and the Akala Island arc was where she started to become a fan favorite where SM was concerned) and the writing for the TRio for reasons I’ve stated in the Rocket rambling section.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom