Bulbagarden

FinnishPokéFan92
FinnishPokéFan92
The comedy felt in place there. It didn't ruin anything that was supposed to be serious, had good animation, and very expressive character moments. And the lack of battles really allowed Fujisaku to play to his strengths in it. It was supposed to be a silly, comedic, slice-of-life episode, and it succeeded in being that.
LazySpy
LazySpy
... Why is Oluolu famous, why are characters who weren't foreshadowed to have any interest in Pokemon baseball suddenly interested in it, and did Ash's classmates actually used anything they learned during that episode later in the series, why is only Jessie interested in asking Oluolu to sign an autograph, and finally, it's not like Fotball nerds in our world only think of Lionell Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, why is the rest of this guy's team... Not mentioned, as far as I can tell? What is the impact winning that League had on Team Magikarp and people of Alola, why is PokeBase even a thing in the Pokemon world, why would the Pokemon world have sport disciplines related to our, reall world?
Max1996
Max1996
...Do I spy another moment of Mr. Perfect-Storytelling-Above-Everything-Else?
FinnishPokéFan92
FinnishPokéFan92
Hey, let's not start fighting over something like this! Everyone has their own tastes. While I still maintain that I liked the episode, I don't mind if Lazy didn't like it. Everybody has the right to their own opinions.
Max1996
Max1996
Sorry, sorry! I guess something about overthinking things irks me...
FinnishPokéFan92
FinnishPokéFan92
Just try to control your outbursts. We humans don't always tend to do the best of decisions or say the smartest of things when we do them at the heat of the moment.
LazySpy
LazySpy
Indeed, FPF, you're right on both of those. I asked those questions in anticipation of a detailled reply to them so that we could analyze this arguably divisive work of fiction that is Pokemon anime Sun and Moon together here. And because I really don't like the implications of that episode. I can agree that it's good as a standalone, but it's impact on the world of Alola and the main characters is questionable.
FinnishPokéFan92
FinnishPokéFan92
The simple answer is that filler episode characters, events, or settings don't need deep backstories to be enjoyable. Like you yourself said, they're supposed to be standalone episodes with no effect on any major plot elements.
LazySpy
LazySpy
But they still should make sense, and best fillers are the ones that do impact something, either the world or the characters.

Here's an example: The Great Divide from Avatar the Last Airbender. We're introduced in the episode to two diffirent tribes who'se existence was not mentioned ever before, and who'se stories have nothing to do with the main plot.

So what does the episode do? Because the two tribes, and the war they wage is irrelevant to the story, the episode instead focuses on the main character, Aang. He is forced to be the mediator between those two tribes, which is pivotall to him growing as the Avatar, because he learns during the course of that episode what are the Avatar's duties, and by calming down the hatred between those two tribes, Aang lives up to those duties.

Jessie's adoration of Oluolu, on the other hand, is irrelevant. It doesn't play out any important role in her development. And what is it exactly that SM's cast learned on that day?

So, to reiterate: This is a good episode. But it could've been solidified by adding something of more value to the Pokemon world and characters as a whole. And it doesn't even have to be anything complex.
But as it is, it's... Fine.
FinnishPokéFan92
FinnishPokéFan92
Let's just respect each other's opinions and leave it be.
LazySpy
LazySpy
But I do recommend Avatar The Last Airbender to both you and Max. Taking your tastes under consideration, I can tell you are both going to like this show.
Max1996
Max1996
I've already seen that I don't know how long ago...
LazySpy
LazySpy
Really? Your thoughts?
Max1996
Max1996
...I don't even remember it all that well.
LazySpy
LazySpy
Ah, I see...
TRNatalie
TRNatalie
Sorry to interrupt your conversation but I also liked this episode and I can answer some of Lazy’s questions with a thoughtful discussion if he doesn’t mind.

Why is Oluolu famous
I mean, he is an athlete that’s supposedly very good and came from MeleMele Island and Kukui’s Pokémon School. I’d expect he’d be famous, especially within MeleMele Island where our main cast are.

why are characters who weren't foreshadowed to have any interest in Pokemon baseball suddenly interested in it
It’s been a while since I’ve seen this episode but I’m pretty certain it’s because they’re young, they want to try it for fun and there’s a celebrity athlete visiting the school that wants to play the game with them. While I agree that it would be a bit of a stretch that all of them would be interested in it (looking at you, Lillie), it makes sense that they would all like to play in this instance. You don’t have to be interested in something to play a game of it. I don’t like sports but I’ll occasionally play basketball with my cousin and his friends and have fun.

why is only Jessie interested in asking Oluolu to sign an autograph
Jessie's adoration of Oluolu, on the other hand, is irrelevant. It doesn't play out any important role in her development. And what is it exactly that SM's cast learned on that day?
While I agree it’s weird that a seemingly popular baseball player doesn’t have Ilima size crowds following him around, it does make sense for Jessie (and I’m going to use her Japanese name because most of my character analyses’ I do for her are based around her Japanese portrayal) to act that way towards Olu Olu considering an underlying theme of her character; she desperately wants to find love someday. It’s pretty blatant in this episode that she has a crush on Olu Olu. Does it make sense she has a crush on him? Well, it depends on who you ask; some people in the Rocket fandom say her type is tall doctor types (Dr. Proctor, Dr. White), others say she’s just attracted to brunettes in general (again Dr. Proctor, Dr. White, Astin from Dustox’s goodbye episode, now Olu Olu). If anything, her crush on Steven Stone is more out of place since he doesn’t fall into any of the aforementioned molds but again, it was displayed that Musashi saw him as a Prince Charming that would sweep her off her feet and take her away from a life of pain, starvation, and broken dreams.
And even with all that characterization, it’s clear that it’s an excuse for Fujisaku to write his favorite character like he did in SM 93 where he had Musashi hijack the entire plot (which incidentally, is one of my top five favorite episodes from SM. I am convinced that if he’d been the one to write the Musashi vs Kojiro episode, that episode and the league overall would’ve been a lot better because he actually knows how to write them, f*ing Matsui. :mad:) and the writing for them in this ep is why so many love how they (were) being written in SM. So many episodes in past sagas would’ve forced them to cheat or forced in an attempt to steal Pikachu or the other Pokémon but hear that doesn’t happen. Team Rocket play because
Musashi: Well, I like this dude and I want to spend time with him, get his autograph, maybe finally find love. I’ll play.
Kojiro and Nyasu: Well, our friend clearly likes this guy and these kids hit Nyasu in the face with a baseball so LET’S BEAT THESE GUYS INTO THE GROUND!!!
When Mimikyu tries to kill Pikachu in the game (of his own accord), Musashi calls it back with no arguments. (And Hidoide poisoning Kojiro in the match is actually used in flashbacks displaying their relationship in SM 58.) The group accept the loss like good sports and they’re (almost because Kiteruguma’s an overprotective mom that doesn’t want her kids to date yet) rewarded for it.

To be continued...
Back
Top Bottom