Bulbagarden

Silktree
Silktree
I thought Unova was one of your favorites, but now it seems to be pretty low on the list. Maybe I misremembered?

It's Johto, Kanto and Unova for me, then probably Hoenn? I am not sure I prefer it to Sinnoh, but the latter felt like an imitation with a climate change. Alola has a very nice island (Poni) and a very bad one (Melemele), with the other two not really standing out. I can't rank Galar without playing SwSh, but the DLC feels very separate from the main region (an island with a very obvious Chinese motif, and a tundra full of old legendaries?). But I suspect that Galar is a lot like Kalos, which felt like a Japanese tourist's take on a popular destination without much depth.
Boss1708
Boss1708
No you remember correctly. Unova is still one of my favorites. Close to Galar.

The issue is I hate all Unova Pokemon. I love Galar Pokemon.

It's what gave Galar an advantage for me.
Silktree
Silktree
Okay. They're about equal Pokemon-wise for me. It's easier for me to build a Unova team if only due to having more options.

My only favorites from these regions are the Mienfoo line, Lilligant and Sirfetch'd. Cursola is a bit too morbid for me, but the concept is ambitious.

My nephew has Sword, so when the second DLC is released this Friday, I'll check it out. The first DLC never seemed interesting enough to bother.
Boss1708
Boss1708
I understand you. For me it is different. Galar is the first time I am excited for the new Pokémon since... Hoenn!!!

Kanto were stellar.
Johto were stellar.
Hoenn were stellar.
Sinnoh were good-ish.
Unova were terrible.
Kalos were bad.
Alola were bad.
Galar are stellar.

Just how I feel about each batch of mons :)

As for the games, Isle of Armour is probably my favorite place I have seen in a Pokemon game in a long time. You said Chinese influence. Do you mean the Dojo or Towers or some geography also?
Silktree
Silktree
The dojo mainly. I didn't get a close look at the rest.
Boss1708
Boss1708
Hey how are you?

Thanks for commenting in my thread. Do we have any reason to believe Masuda/GameFreak have any plan about future LG games?
Silktree
Silktree
From last year: “So, at the moment there’s no particular plans. But if the fans really like it then definitely keep those voices coming out to the Pokemon Company and Nintendo, and make sure we hear them!”

Masuda hardly ever says that there are current plans for anything; he didn't even confirm 3DS games back in 2012 (the Switch was a different story, probably due to pressure from Nintendo). That said, LGPE were targeted at kids even more than usual, and I don't think they tend to post on social media about hypothetical games.
Boss1708
Boss1708
Ok but I want to know your opinion. If you had to bet, will there be another Let's Go game?

If I had to bet, I would say no. I think LGPE will remain a standalone game.

But I hope I am wrong lol, because Johto is like the sequel of the story.
Silktree
Silktree
It depends on several factors:

1. Do they want to release DP remakes next? They would satisfy more long-term fans, but arguably fewer kids.
2. Do they want to do something original for the 25th anniversary? Not necessarily a new generation, but maybe a game that actually capitalizes on the franchise's history.
3. Do they want one generation for the Switch or two? There may be a Switch successor in about two years. Will the first game for it be a remake like LGPE? Will Go remain popular by then? Will they use another mobile game as a basis?

So I don't know. I remember Masuda alluding to developing more spin-off games like Go and possibly incorporating elements into the main series, which is why a Johto sequel might have a new spin (which could be better).
Boss1708
Boss1708
Well this wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe it won't be called Let's Go this time but something new?

Johto Masters, for example? Sounds epic imo.
Silktree
Silktree
There need to be two versions. The mascots are a separate issue since using Ho-Oh and Lugia again would be a bit boring. I've become rather partial to the idea of Espeon and Umbreon, myself. I can't think of good titles right now (LGPE are clunky, too).

The Masters idea hinges on the games being released next year. I don't think that Masters will have Go's longevity. Unite and/or Sleep might be big, too?
Boss1708
Boss1708
I agree with you yes. I think Espeon and Umbreon are probably the best choice overall.

I definitely find Masters more interesting than Unite or Sleep, but I guess that at least Unite may be popular? It is based on a popular concept...

I would still prefer a game linked to Masters but I wonder what the concept would be?

Honestly I am starting to feel like a game linked to Pokemon Unite is most likely. They could base it around team play or something.
Silktree
Silktree
That's harder to imagine since the gameplay is very different than the core series'. Also, it will already have a Switch version...
Boss1708
Boss1708
Man I hope Masters gets a Switch version, too. I would love that.
Silktree
Silktree
Boss1708
Boss1708
Hmmmm what do you think this means?

It could be a reminder to make sure people don't forget about it (marketing wise).
Silktree
Silktree
There isn't usually a new main series every year, so that may be why it's rare for games to be promoted a year or more after their release. I don't know if XY or ORAS got any commercials in 2015. This time, some kids may not be that into the DLC and haven't played LGPE before, I guess?

At the same time, Chloe's new Eevee in the anime can't evolve (at least right now). Is it promoting LGE (it knows Copycat, so it wouldn't be weird if it learned some of the signature moves) or Gigantamax Eevee? Or the next game? It might evolve later on.
Boss1708
Boss1708
Gmax Pikachu & Gmax Eevee are clearly promoting LG Pikachu & Eevee. So it could still be seen as LG promotional material in the anime...

Btw, I am liking SwSh quite a lot sofar, but I am starting to feel the main series formula has gone too stale. I would love a reinventing of the main series at this point. What about you?
Silktree
Silktree
I've only watched my nephew play Sword. You could say I'm pretty tired at this point; I'm more forgiving about repetition when it comes to remakes because nostalgia is a powerful drug. LGPE are more charming games, too, but they're overpriced for the content they offer. The Orange Islands and an extra 100-150 Pokemon would have helped a lot.
Boss1708
Boss1708
Oh yeah, I love remakes and nostalgia. I would have LOVED Orange Islands in LGPE.

Tho, in my head canon: game Sevii Islands = anime Orange Islands
Back
Top Bottom