• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.
Daren
Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• J.R.R. Tolkien is sometimes accused of writing too dry but he was hilarious when he wanted to be.
    “Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible, and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.”--in the foreword to the second edition of Lord of the Rings. (Courtesy of Goodreads.com)
    Just lost a Restricted Sparring run (psychic) because my hand slipped and I didn't Dynmax, leading to my Alola Raichu failing to get a 1 hit KO on a Poliwrath, getting 1 hit KO'd in turn, and the battle spiraling into defeat.:bulbaFacepalm:
    I just hatched a Salandit with perfect IVs across the board.

A male Salandit with perfect IVs across the board.
    Sorry buddy. You're perfect in every way except one very important one.
    Edit: Maybe I should write a fanfic about this, but on the other hand maybe not...
    Eeveely
    Eeveely
    May I introduce you to this lesson in the dark magic of gender swapping evolution that ignores the existence of azurill?
    Reactions: Daren
    Daren
    Daren
    I have heard about it, but I'd rather not use a glitch and I have some 5 IV Ditto so when I get the required female Salandit to hatch (though the eggs are coming unusually slowly) she'll have most of her father's power anyways.
    I've been seeing #ThankYouAnipoke in a bunch of twitter profiles recently. Does anyone know what's going on?
    TRNatalie
    TRNatalie
    It was because of the anime going on hiatus. The Twitter Pokeani fandom wanted to show support for the show and those involved in the production so they created the hashtag
    Daren
    Daren
    Thanks! I guess I should have guessed it was related to that.
    As I grow older I realize one of the things that turns me against a work of fiction faster than almost any other flaw is trying to push a message or moral where I can tell the writers don't actually believe it. I'm fine with heavy moralizing if I think it's at least sincere.
    So at some time today the Pokémon Kids TV channel uploaded a Pokémon short about Scraggy and Mimikuy in the style old theatrical cartoons from the Golden Age, in the same style that Cuphead emulates.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u909_O6CqYc

It's about four minutes.
    Weird thought of the day:
    It's sometimes said there are infinite alternate universes.
    That means there is one where the Pokémon anime changed protagonists in each series, and the protagonist was always the person who beat Ash in that series' league.
    In Kanto we follow Richie, in Johto Harrison, Tyson in Hoenn, and so on. Ash is a recurring antagonist who always shows up near the end and usually has no personal connection to the main character before losing to them.
    *In Kanto people note he seems like a worse version of our protagonist.
    *People are a bit unsure during Sinnoh since Tobias was a huge Gary Stu in general. People are actually sort of rooting for Ash at this point.
    *They wonder why he has some weird special Greninja during XY, but find it interesting that he suddenly takes an active role in the story, helping resolving Alain's Team Flare plot.

Then Gladion is the main character of the Sun and Moon anime, but the events are the same as in this universe so he loses to Ash. We then spend four episodes watching Ash battle with Kukui--it actually goes over quite well because Ash being one of the show's few recurring characters and his "never give up" attitude had won him a decent fanbase.
    At this time in that universe, someone is writing a status update on forums.charmandercave.net about the alternate universe where each series followed Ash...
    Phosphene
    Phosphene
    Actually, we might not even have to travel to an alternate universe for this to happen. I remember reading somewhere that there is a finite number of combinations of particles in the universe (though I don't know how scientifically credible that statement is), meaning that in a universe that is infinite, you will hypothetically find copies of stuff eventually. There might be an Earth-2 trillions of light years away where Ash is not the protagonist of every series in the anime.
    yudgefudge
    yudgefudge
    Fanfics when?
    Daren
    Daren
    Some more things that would be amusing to think about in this AU:
    *We're told Ritchie didn't lose any Pokémon in the early rounds of the league, then this guy we were introduced to an episode earlier is late to the match with tired Pokémon and still brings Ritchie down to the edge of defeat for the first time. We might actually see a mirrored version of the real world controversy where people argue about whether our hero deserved that win or not (which might contribute to an early AU!Ash fanbase).
    *When he reappears suddenly in Johto we don't know his Charizard is actually really loyal now because we only see him fighting another Fire-type again.
    *He has a Grovyle that doesn't do much in Hoenn (weakens Metagross then gets KO'd), then during Sinnoh he appears fully evolved and is the first person in the series to knock out the main character's Darkrai. Imagine the fan reaction.
    So I just noticed that a surprising number of times episode 131 has sucked for Ash in the anime, either directly or building up to something bad.
    AG 131 was the Hoenn league finals
    DP 131 was the start of the Lake Acuity battle
    XY 131 was the Kalos League finals
    I guess it's not perfect since XY130 is when that match started and DP132 is when that one ended, but it's still a bit odd, I think.

For the curious, OS131 was the Falkner battle, BW131 seems to be a filler, and Sun/Moon 131 was the Alola League Jessie Vs James battle.

If the world championship finals starts in journeys 131 I'm going to be concerned.
    Sometimes I find myself wishing the show had found a way to make a reference to MissingNo. Nothing insane, but something like a joke where Ash's Pokédex goes on the fritz and when he scans something a glitchy mess looking like one of the MissingNo. forms appeared on the screen instead of a proper picture of the Pokémon.
    It's May 9th! Happy Piccolo Goku day, everyone!
    Reactions: Ebail
    Ebail
    Ebail
    No, no, we'd better celebrate Piccolo's birthday too. It seems just like it was only yesterday he was hatching from his little egg with ambitions of taking over the world. Ahh memories.
    Well, I've finished most of the current Sw/Sh content. All that's really left is getting items from the Champion Rematches and the Battle Tower and EV training in preparation for the expansion pass.
    I decided to swap a lot of my party around for the post-game quest. I used the following:
    *Jeeves the Intelleon (I usually keep my starter around as much as possible since I think of them as the "main character" in the old RPG style)
    *Tyrfing the Aegislash (poor guy got anime'd and lost to a Doublade but he made up for it against the post-game boss)
    *Wyrm the Charizard
    *Leia the Lucario
    *Bolt the Boltund
    *Fogel the Flygon
    They had no real trouble. For the Battle Tower I just wanted to unlock stuff (I don't care for the three on three single format) so I just brought Karp Diem the Gyarados, Loptyr the (spoiler), and Hikash the Zacian to crush everything as fast as I can. Hikash swept the Tower boss' entire team.
    Daren
    Daren
    I think they mentioned some sort of battle challenges after you complete the expansions, and it might be closer in difficuly and design to older game facilities so I want to be ready just in case.
    Silktree
    Silktree
    It's that dojo which limits the Pokemon you can use. Your team might not be eligible. Anyway, I wouldn't expect it to be tougher than the Battle Tower.
    Daren
    Daren
    I think that's something different. The limited Pokémon mode is for the Isle of Armor, but the new battles are said to be "after you've completed your entire game, incuding the isle of armor and the Crown tundra." It's around 15:30 on the Pokémon direct.
    Been curious about this since I saw your avatar: Is your avatar Hideyoshi Toyotomi?
    Daren
    Daren
    You're on the right track! It's Cao Xing from Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX, and Hideyoshi is a prominent character in it's sister series, Nobunaga's Ambition. Later games gave him an an actually cool portrait instead.
    hi !!
    i have a psychic type safari with abra,espurr and girafarig
    my fc 4270-2482-7129 ign steve
    would you be interested to add me?
    Hey I have a Normal Friend safari my pokemon are Teddiursa, Loudred and Chansey My friend code is 1349-5405-7196. Please Add me I have already added you
    Please remember that the fanfiction one-shot contest deadline is tomorrow and that stories need to be submitted by the end of tomorrow. Please check the sign-up thread for more information or updates.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom