Bulbagarden

Galactic_V
Galactic_V
Oh, sorry, that wasn't meant for you. It was about the picture I posted, which is clearly a pun on Ryouma's name. On it it's written ”えっち前リョーマ”, which can be translated to Ryouma before the ecchi, just as pointed out in the thread. Then I got it, his last name is Echizen, so the pun made sense xD
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
Oh! Sorry my bad lol. But that's interesting to know about the image lol, I was curious to what it said aside from "ecchi" and his first name but now I know.
Galactic_V
Galactic_V
So you can read hiragana\katakana? That's interesting lol I remember struggling to learn them back in middle school many years ago, course I was doing it all by myself but still xD
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
Only a little bit, like there are some that I know; obviously with the characters names if they're written that way or very easy ones, like the aforementioned ecchi and then anything like "good morning", "good night", "thank you", "cute", "excuse me", etc. I'm nowhere near great at Japanese like you are, though I guess I'm sort of self teaching myself in a way? Like some Japanese sites like Pixiv I've gotten better at getting around due to being on it for a while, so some things I've kind of picked up on slightly. Otherwise I'd need a translator to really grasp anything else, especially anything advanced.
Galactic_V
Galactic_V
That's cool. To tell the truth I have a long way to go as well, I can watch an anime episode understanding basically 80-90% of it, but if I try to speak\write I usually need a dictionary to help me. It's not very hard learning it imo (I mean, compairing to languages such as German), but it can be challenging when you consider how phrases are structured and the many kanji it's got.

And I used pixiv to help me in the past too lol I'd post my art there and share in groups, thus I could more or less talk with people (it was a little hard back then, somehow I could manage though). Btw, I didn't know you had a pixiv account, you post art as well?
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
With the way you grasp it you're a pro at it in my eyes lol. With anime I've been watching it in Japanese nowadays to try and understand it a bit more, I've been told it's not the best way to learn Japanese, and I can see why, but it's good practice for me regardless; otherwise I use DeepL (a translator) to help me get by. But yes with the way phrases, puns, and any other jokes are structured it definitely trips me up. I get through it by having fun though, and even listening to music motivates me to try and get better at it.

I do indeed have a Pixiv, I used to post art on it (mainly MLP FiM stuff and the occasional Touhou and JJBA characters) but I stopped posting art on it when I mainly used it to bookmark artwork I liked. I also started moving away from doing artwork on the computer to now sticking with pencil and paper, main reason cause I don't have any tools to make my art look at least neat digitally, though I'm saving up money to get a nice tablet for that.
Galactic_V
Galactic_V
Thanks xD I always liked learning languages, that's all. For example, my first language isn't English (you probably noticed since I tend to commit rough mistakes sometimes), and if I depended on my former primary school to learn it I'd be doomed (since you just learn the basics and some advanced stuff, but nothing that makes you able to communicate with a foreigner), so I'd always seek new ways of studying (by playing games, watching unsubbed movies, etc...), and all this culminated in myself being able to read whole books in English by the time of high school. It worked more or less the same with Japanese, I didn't want to depend on subs anymore while watching an anime, that's when I started studying and practing hard.

I believe there's no "best way" of learning anything to be frank, course it's essencial that you study grammar and stuff, but there's no better way than doing it by having fun. I got to learn in the worst way possible that I'm an awful at picking stuff by taking notes and reading them later for eg lol

But since you mentioned it, you do watch A LOT of anime, right? lol I don't know most of the ones you use in the games' threads, with only some that I've just heard about (like Prince of Tennis). I used to watch a bunch in the past (not as many as you, but a good number), but nowadays I'm barely tuning into them. Tbh I just got back to Shaman King and Edens Zero today, after weeks lol

It's nice you also draw lol It's something that I find really fun to do, and that always calms me down.
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
To be honest I thought English was your native language for a bit until I saw you type in Japanese and Spanish, then I found out it wasn't and you mentioned Spanish being your mother tongue (plus a lot of shows you mentioned in some games that were Spanish only so I also figured from that lol). Also I don't even notice the mistakes tbh cause I make quite a few of them myself, and English is my first language lol; my parents still trip up in English though occasionally, so I probably got it from them since they taught my brother and I (they're Italian). Speaking of games helping you, I also played some games in Japanese to help me, it was mainly older FE games that never saw an English release and at the time I didn't even want to get too serious about learning it, but for some reason I got around it and (though mainly due to muscle memory) I pretty much got the grasp of what was going on. I still sometimes have subs on in some anime series, specifically newer ones, but generally I find older series without subs and watch them (a lot of them were ones I've watched before in English dub, and practice with those).

I had a history teacher that pretty much told me having fun is the best way to learn something, like you mentioned there's no better way. I'm also not good with notes though, so you're not alone, especially when it came to math for me (I never had fun in that subject, so that's why I'm still bad at it aside from basics to this day).

I do watch a lot of anime, especially lately after COVID and my job is still on shaky grounds so I might not have one anymore soon; so I decided to binge more anime (and manga), alongside exercising. There are still some older ones I need to get to along with newer ones, but it's a nice way to pass the time.

Drawing calms me down too, though I get a lot of artist blocks. Lately I've been getting to making my own original characters, like you do (which are nice by the way, I want skills like that).
Galactic_V
Galactic_V
No, my native language is Portuguese xD I do know Spanish, but let's say it's pretty outdated since it's been years since I've practiced it. All those Mexican shows I mentioned (El Chavo and Skimo), they were popular in my homecountry (Brazil) as well, especially El Chavo (which's known as Chaves over there), which's a 1970's sitcom-kinda show that's been popular for 30 years.

And I just found out we have a lot in common: I'm part Italian as well (my maternal great grandparents immigrated from Trento to Brazil), earning me an Italian citizenship, and the other things that I already know (I have OCs too, I love drawing, the way we like learning, etc etc...). The only difference there's that I wasn't born or raised in North America, even though I live in NA nowadays (Canada, to be more specific). But yeah, I can understand your parents having difficulties with English because I also do. I'm living in Canada for nearly 4 years by this point, and my accent is as heavy as ever, it's very hard to make your brain get used to a new language all the time you know? Especially for someone as quiet and reserved as me. Btw your English's pretty advanced (for a first language, of course lol), you use words I sometimes fail to understand lol Or words I didn't even know that existed.

Yeah, for me history was boring too. I got to become interested at it (somewhat) when I was done with school, but to study it in order to get good grades was always a bother. Same with Biology lol Those subjects that require a bunch of reading and memorizing were awful imo lol In school I'd succeed in Portuguese, English and Spanish xD Always top grades in those 3.

COVID'll be done in a few months, at least here in Canada, I've been vaccinated three days ago and next dose's due September, I believe the same is going on in the USA? In that case you should be back to your job soon. If not you can always get a better one, right? Anyway it's good you enjoy watching anime so much, I sorta got tired of them (watching unsubbed can be very tiring, and it doesn't work if I can't focus on them), thus I've been favoring Brazilian soup operas way more than anime, they remind me of my homecountry and of my childhood (since it's the same ones I used to watch with my mother). I'll try to lay low on them for a while to catch up on Edens and Shaman King lol

And thanks for the compliment. For me my OCs are almost real, it's like they exist and are my closest friends (I think every creator thinks that way?), which gives me strength to certain things such as loneliness (it can be very hard living by yourself in a foreign country sometimes, and one of my closest friends who live with me turned into a big jerk recently, so our relation right now is to ignore each other (which can be a headache since we live together in the same apartment)).

Anyway, to not make this post any more bigger than it needs to be, can you understand what I'm posting below?

65ulrgc.png

This post of yours was pretty funny, so I thought it deserved to be translated lol
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
Oh it's Portuguese, I think you mentioned that but I might've misremembered it as EPFG saying it. But yeah I saw a few mentioned Mexican shows and thought that was your language at first then. I don't know any South American languages but I know a little bit of Mexican Spanish and Spaniard Spanish (mandatory courses when I was in high school for a year, then I switched to ASL as a course for my final three years). I didn't know you live in Canada though, or have Italian heritage, that's pretty cool! But yeah my parents said the same about learning a new language, their brain almost always default to Italian occasionally when they get flustered, but they're pretty good in English all the same (though my friends sometimes can't understand them due to their accent, I don't even notice it much I guess). And thanks, sometimes if I comment something on like a YouTube video or whatever I get a few jokes and teases thrown at me for accidental misspellings and things like that, so it kinda weighs on me I guess lol.

Biology was another course I generally disliked, but not as much and I still passed it well enough. Physics was a nightmare at times too, biology was boring but physics was too much at times and the textbook we used was big, so lot's of boring reading. My 3 classes I always got top grades in were English as well, P.E. (though that's easy lol), and history; lot's of reading in history too, but there are some events I did truly like to read up on.

Oh yeah here in the US lots of states are opening back up and lifting restrictions, here in California we'll open up on the 15th so only four days left, and I've already got both my shots so I can do most things again outside of work. It's just that I work in the restaurant business as a waitress, so it's definitely hitting most of us hard and our governor has made new mask mandates for workers (which I get, don't get me wrong), so some restaurants have gone under and still are in some places. Luckily though my dad says he'll help me with a job if worst comes to worst, it's just that I haven't been in a job interview for a while so it's a bit nerve-wracking.

I know how you feel about that, and certainly lot's of artists feel that way about their work, drawn and written. When I started making OC's they do have a sense of feeling real, especially if you put a bit of yourself into them, or even taking inspiration from other people and adding that to them. Sorry to hear about your friend though, I've had similar times like that with my brother since we live together, so it's certainly frustrating. Hopefully things between you two get better, it's good that your drawings help with loneliness though!

I recognize "guro", "The only one that doesn't look gross." it's gotta be close to that since my original post isn't much different. I also recognize "netabare" which is spoiler ofc.
Galactic_V
Galactic_V
Yeah, exactly. グロではないみたいのたった一つ (The only one that doesn't look gross), it's top-notch, but to be fair it was fairly easy to translate. Anyway I thought you'd recognize your name as well in 戦術師カリナ lol I had to look it up before settling, because I remember reading a post of yours that the tactician was a class in a game (at first I was gonna leave it as-is, タクティシアン桂里奈 (yes, I was gonna use kanji for your name in that case), and searching closer I found that it's called 戦術師 in Japan so I went with that.

Btw I imagine you know Italian then? I speak a little bit. Ciao, Karina. Mi chiamo Galactic. Come stai? (I'm not revealing my real name, even though you can find it pretty easily on my dA lol). And PE? lol In my case all I gotta do was show up in class lol We had grades but only for formality purposes.

About your job, try to think positively. As in, if you wanna it back, think as if you've already got it. That everything'll be okay. I know it might sound cliche, but it's what I usually do lol I was terrified in my first job interview too, but it was easier than I though to be honest. I didn't get it the first time, but just the experience was enough. It happened in Canada already, so I was both worried for being the first time AND because of how I'd communicate with the interviewer since my first language is not English. Idk, I'm not terrified of interviews anymore since then.

Yeah, both my most used characters nowadays (Aria and Tohru), they've got a lot of me put into them. Aria's basically a female version of me (insecure while under stress, unable to cope with nerve-wracking situations, needing a lot of emotional backup when in trouble, etc etc...), while Tohru's the average guy who's got talents he's really good at and his most characteristic trait is his belief in hope. And thanks for your words regarding my former friend, but no, we won't talk again. I've tried, he doesn't want it, he'd rather hold grudges. And that's cool, I'm intending to move out soon anyway. I'll never see him again after that, thankfully.

Okay, I've got two more of your posts (one because it involves Danganronpa and the other because it was a tricky one). Can you read this one?

yYIL3JK.png

I don't think the translation is 100% in this one, it was pretty tough. It's one of those cases your English was so advanced I found difficulty in adapting certain bits lol IIRC it's that game thread where you have to rate a scene of a random show, and you answered to one of mine (of Patrick saying "No, that's Patrick").
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
Yeah that one was easier, I wasn't sure if I should've mentioned my username as I thought that one would've been too obvious lol. But TIL tactician in Japanese and my name in kanji, so that's really neat!

Yep I know some Italian, my parents gave my brother and I lessons on the basics and more, mainly when it comes to speaking with relatives. Ciao! Sto bene, grazie. E tu? Yeah P.E. (or physical education) was probably the easiest for me since I exercise a lot anyway, though sometimes for that just showing up and being in your gym uniform was enough to pass lol.

Thank you. I generally do try but sometimes nerves get the best of me, I'm hoping that if it comes to that I'll be fine by that point. But I never thought of thinking I already have it, that's good advice so thanks again.

Ah that's a bummer, well at least you were the bigger person and tried to reach out, if he wants to hold grudges well that's on him (and unhealthy imo). At least you'll be out of that environment soon then, and on to more happier and peaceful times hopefully.

Okay this one took a bit as it's more advanced, I think some of it says "4 points, maybe because I dislike Spongebob, but this scene (?)" I think maybe the word "bad" is in there? The parenthesis should say something like "yes, yes, I know" or close to it, I also obviously recognize "YouTube", "user forum comment", and the "This is Patrick". Hmm that one's a doozy for sure though, final verdict?
Galactic_V
Galactic_V
OWGTLnY.png

That's your original post. Yes, you had a good grasp of what I wrote but you can see that some parts I altered\adapted differently. For starters I didn't know how to say "overrated", I Googled it but I got nothing, thus I changed it to "bad" (which's a kind of similar term). So you're basically saying "I don't like SpongeBob that much, but this scene is pretty bad." I altered the 4/10 to 4点 (tbh I'm not really sure if that's how you'd rate something, but that's how tests are graded in Japan so I just took a shot). The "Yeah, yeah, I know" you understood is exactly like you said, and the rest should be similar (there might be grammar mistakes or errors, it was tough like I said).

And answering your Italian "Io sto anche bene. Grazie per perguntare." Yeah, it's also very outdated, and sometimes I get Italian and Spanish mixed-up lol They're VERY similar. And you're welcome about the advice lol And thanks for your kind words as well.

Okay, now I wonder, since you speak a little Italian, would you be able to understand Portuguese (even if only a little bit?)

4bZagsi.png

They're not exactly similar, but they're both derived from the latin. Do you understand anything? It was a very funny post directed at me, that's why I altered it lol
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
Ah I see now, I wasn't sure if "overrated" was used or not since I don't know that word in Japanese, but I had a feeling "bad" or another negative term was used. I was close in wanting to type out "the scene is bad" but wasn't sure if that was the more correct translation, missed that one. Well at least I did somewhat okay on that one lol.

"Bene, e molti auguri." Spaniard Spanish I notice is close to Italian when I took it in high school, my parents were pretty much like "Beh, certo che lo è." lol.

I think that's "Banned for inventing lies about me."
Galactic_V
Galactic_V
Yeah, you aced my translation lol (he said "making up" instead of inventing but those're synonyms). I thought you wouldn't be able to do it, congratulations lol

I took French as an elective in college here, it was pretty fun since it was my first elective ever (we don't have those in Brazil, it's pretty much all mandatory, and much less options as well), so I learned basic French too. It's one of those languages I'm intending to master since it's Canada's second language but I'm still finding ways of doing it lol They had Spanish too, but for me it sounded boring since it's a tongue I already know.

Anyway, this's the last one. It's the most boring, I just did it because it involved Danganronpa xD (let's say it's what helped me the most in learning Japanese), and a little bit of languages.

d0txQsp.png

You were answering me again.
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
Lol I used "inventing" since "inventar" is literally "inventare" in Italian, but yeah they're synonyms so it doesn't matter.

Lucky, we didn't have French at my school. Aside from Spanish and ASL, we had Russian and German, and I wasn't going to take any of the latter two courses since I've heard they're really hard languages to learn. (and looking back on it, I think Russian was a weird and random choice for a course lol) I think French would've been nice to have, especially since I want to visit the southern states and in some parts French is spoken there too. But I definitely get mastering it in Canada, with it being the second language and all.

Oh I remember that one, let's see: "From the wiki, my choices are: Aikido Master, Baseball Player, Boxer, Martial Artist, and Tennis Player. Languages (real or fiction, your choice)" I might be wrong on the Martial Artist one and I took liberty with the Aikido Master and the parenthesis parts, they instantly came to mind since I remember at least the answers. Final verdict?
Galactic_V
Galactic_V
Exactly! Though you used the English-translated talents instead, so instead of Tennis Player it was Tennis Pro (I think?).

Idk, for me the hardest the language the more fun it is. I'd love to learn German for eg. Too bad my college only offered French and Spanish (and a bunch of other tongue-unrelated electives), so I had to pick French for the reasons I pointed above. At least I pulled an A in the end of the semester lol

Btw, have you ever been to another country? I mean, other than Italy, of course! Which is funny, since me, an Italian citizen for over 10 years at this point, have never set foot there yet lol It's one of my future plans though. I've been to a bunch of countries already, counting France and England (course, long before I moved here). To the US I've been only once, but I've never left the airport, so I don't know if that counts? It was a flight connection in Miami, I stayed there for 3 hours.
Tactician Karina
Tactician Karina
Yep you're right, I just double checked in that I did use pro instead of player, for some reason I thought I used the latter.

Well certainly an easy A then! I wouldn't mind learning German but I would want to learn other languages first before it, and Russian well cyrillic looks neat and fancy but after seeing my friend's worksheet for it once, nope that's too difficult for me; though maybe sometime I'll work up the confidence to try it.

Nope, I was lucky to finally visit Italy before the COVID pandemic slapped us all, but no other country. My brother was lucky in that he went to Italy for a time once before, he stayed with relatives and so his Italian is sharper and better than mine, and during that time he went to Switzerland, Austria, and the Czech Republic with our maternal cousin for a mini tour adventure; I'm still a bit jealous of him for that lol. I would love to visit France, England, Japan, South Korea, Iceland, etc. but not anytime soon, sadly.
Back
Top Bottom