CynthiaLover
Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Got an update on my uncle's health from my aunt (his sister). He'll be fine, he's just constantly tired and having some bad joint stiffness issues, so he's having trouble doing things and getting around. And despite that he even has plans to go to Thailand in January to see his son. So, fortunately, he's not dying or anything, just dealing with more-frequent-than-normal body aches and fatigue from old age. That's a relief, as I was getting worried that he was terminally ill or something. That's a load off my mind.
    I just got news that my Uncle Donald is not doing so good. Mom and dad are going to visit him and my Aunt Sally tomorrow, which will be a two-day thing since they live a decent distance away from us (though they're in the same state). Now I'm really worried that this could be the end for him. I hope it's not the case but I'm bracing myself for any bad news. Here's hoping he gets better.
    Well, my car broke down. Again! That's the second time in three weeks. And that's the last time I'm letting my dad take it to that damn mechanic in his town, since he does pretty chintzy jobs. While the dealer is more expensive at least I know they're not going to do a half-baked repair like the mechanic dad likes.
    • Hugs
    Reactions: guzmania
    Greninjaman
    Greninjaman
    At least you don't need to worry about it coming to life and turning into a Pokemon.
    Argh... what a week. First a snowstorm buried me, then my broken window, which was slated to be replaced, got repaired by accident when getting replaced, making the whole month and a half effort/wait to get the window's measurements right and waiting for Lowes to not screw up a second time was wasted, and now my car needs to be jumped again because of said snowstorm killed the battery. Guess I need a new battery that won't die every time it gets cold (to be fair, the car is 21-years old now). Now watch as when I get a replacement battery somehow the old battery ends up working perfectly for the rest of the winter. Oi... :rolleyes:
    Been playing a lot of Breath of Fire 4 today. Doing what, you may ask? Fishing. Trying (and succeeding) to catch certain "big ones" like Spearfish, Bullcat, Sturgeons, and Whales so I can trade them in for equipment from the Manillo merchants (and they make for useful items, such as Whales being the same as Moon Tears: heals all party members and cures all status ailments). I managed to get Ursula her best weapon: the Culverin (technically it's her second best weapon, as the Electrifier is her best in terms of raw power, but it has poor accuracy and only hits a single target, while the Culverin hits all enemies, has a +20% to Ursula's accuracy, and increases her critical hit rate, so it's more practical and useful in the long-run), along with an Ivory Dice, and Angling Rod (which helped net me all those fish), and several lures. Still need to fish more before I progress the story so I can get more equipment from the Manillo merchants. And my thumb hurts from holding the X button during all that fishing. o_O
    Dawn of Courage chapter posting is being postponed until after Christmas, as the next few days are going to be hectic. I wrote the last chapter for now today and will take a break until after Christmas, especially since the story is entering the next arc: the King's Hunt Festival arc. Until then.
    Ugh... all writing has been put on hold while I fight with food stamps to give me a better amount. This is the first time I've had to send an appeal to them because they gave me such a meager amount of food stamps to work with, clearly not putting all my costs like medical bills into the equation. This'll ratchet up my stress levels for sure. If I don't get this sorted out I won't be able to buy food nor be able to make my signature Christmas cheesecake. This is the pits.
    • Hugs
    Reactions: InfiniteBakuphoon
    prog rocker
    prog rocker
    What are food stamps?
    CynthiaLover
    CynthiaLover
    Food Stamps, aka: SNAP, is a government program that allows low-income people/families to buy food at any grocery store by giving them a set amount of money to spend per month. It changes year-to-year depending on the person's income/costs/health/etc. You can only use it to buy food, as paper goods and other such stuff come out of your pockets. During the past year I had over $200 worth of food stamps per month because I only get one SSD (Social Security Disability) check a month. However, for some strange reason, they're now going to give me only $23 worth of food stamps per month. That's not enough to buy me lunch. It's clear they screwed up somehow so I have to file an appeal in order get them to reevaluate my costs and such so I can get a better amount to work with. So this is a very annoying thing to deal with as it means if it isn't cleared up quickly I can't buy groceries without dipping into my limited funds (especially during this month, as Christmas is a thing). Hope that helps explain it.
    So I'm attempting to play one of the worst games in the franchise: HeartGold. I'm trying to go in this with fresh eyes and a fresh attitude after having ignored it for so long. Am I going to have fun with this run?

No, I'm not.
    Bolt Strike
    Bolt Strike
    Well then you're just not as tolerant of the games' flaws as other people. Yes, I admit that there's still a lot of flaws in HGSS that I would like to see corrected (although for the most part it requires a lot of major overhauls that would make it unrecognizable to the original), but I'm not as bothered about those flaws as you are so it still feels decently fun to me (even if it doesn't quite measure up to more recent experiences). If you're being this harsh on the game you'll probably never understand the appeal (and there's nothing really wrong with that, you're entitled to your opinion, but it does mean this endeavor is unlikely to succeed). This isn't a dramatic facelift like BW2 or LA, it's not going to feel like a wildly different experience from the original. It's going to feel more like FRLG or ORAS, a largely similar experience with a lot of bonus content.
    CynthiaLover
    CynthiaLover
    Considering I like ORAS, which I see as the best remakes to date, as they actually did something different than their original counterparts and adjusted themselves for the new additions like the Fairy type and Megas, then that's not exactly a solid argument with me. I'm actually a lot more tolerant to game flaws than you realize. For example, I'm willing to tolerate the slow start of Breath of Fire 2 and insane encounter rate because the game does a good job at setting up the plot before the prolog even starts. How many games do you know open up with a giant, vertical demonic eye that says, "God is weak/God needs power/give yourself to God"? Plus there are methods to get around the bad encounter rate, like Shamanized Nina's Banish skill. And while it takes until the Coliseum area for the plot to really start (which is the second major town you encounter in the main game proper), then I can accept the slowness of it because you were at least given a sample of the plot before the prolog, setting up the theme and nature of the game before you can even play, thus getting you more invested in the game proper.

HGSS (and Johto as a whole) does none of that, and Breath of Fire 2 came out in the early/mid 90s compared to HGSS 2010 release. Thus the fact you need to slog through the entire Johto region before getting to the "good stuff", which isn't all that great (as it's just another badge collecting quest, which you've already done in the first half of the game) then that's not worth the effort to get there. I know they say the journey is more important than then payoff, but when the payoff is exactly the same as what you've been doing this whole time during the journey then the journey isn't worth it. That's one of HGSS chief problems: the so-called "good stuff" is exactly what you've been doing already the entire time, just with nostalgia tacked on. So that's one reason why I can't see what's so great about HGSS because the "payoff" after slogging through an entire region is just not worth it.
    Bolt Strike
    Bolt Strike
    I haven't played Breath of Fire, so I can't speak for that. ORAS though, benefitted from having more mechanical differences from the original. There was nothing as flashy and significant as Fairy type and Megas in between GSC and HGSS, there were no new types introduced in that time and burst mechanics weren't a thing yet (the biggest changes were things such as abilities, Double Battles, the physical/special split, and online, which HGSS implemented). Other than that, ORAS didn't really do much different from HGSS and in fact ORAS excluded a lot of Emerald mechanics whereas HGSS had almost everything from Crystal.

You have to keep in mind that HGSS was designed in a different era of the series and there were some things that have been done in newer games that would've been unthinkable in HGSS' time. They rarely did any radical redesigns of old areas (in fact HGSS might've been one of the first and it only overhauled a couple like Rock Tunnel and Mt. Silver). Dex expansions only just started with Platinum and we didn't have much of a precedent or expectation for remakes to expand the regional dex. Storyline changes in any revisit to a previous region were minimal to nonexistent. You have to be lenient about those kinds of issues because those kinds of improvements weren't really expected back in the day. Extra mechanics/content and National Dex Pokemon in the post game were just about all you could hope for back in that time, and HGSS had those in spades. The only thing you can seriously criticize HGSS for given its limitations was that the Johto Pokemon weren't featured very prominently in Johto, but that's about it (and they did fix it somewhat in the new Safari Zone), and again, I'm not seriously bothered by that to the point that it makes the game feel terrible.

Honestly I would go into this game forgetting that all the games that came after it exist. The changes those games made will set you up with unrealistic expectations as over time they've broken a lot of conventions that the series had stuck to during HGSS' time. You'd have a better appreciation for it if you see what it's done over older games instead of comparing it to what more recent games have introduced to the series. If that's not enough though, I think you're just playing the game for the wrong reason. If you're just playing a game because it's popular and you want to learn to like it and you're not intrigued by something the games does, it's unlikely you're going to end up changing your mind on the game (you might if you find you like some mechanic more than you thought you would, but that's about it). Don't try to force yourself to like the game, that never ends well.
    Hey, curious about something. Would anyone want me to do a Q&A blog regarding my most recent series Dawn of Courage? If so, let me know.
    Meant to mention this but I got both my flu shot and second COVID booster last week. Had no reaction to either shot, which is good, though I've never really had any reactions in the past. But at least I can mark those off my checklist.
    Gah! First my landline phone went out yesterday, requiring me to call Spectrum on my cell phone. They send a signal into my modem to reboot it, which does fix the phone. But now my wi-fi is dead! I called Spectrum again and after several failed attempts to reconnect my devices to it they're sending over brand new modem and router. This is not good timing, as tomorrow starts the 3-day event called "The World's Largest Garage Sale" in my area, where I'll be effectively trapped in my apartment because of how congested the town gets during this event. At least they're mailing it so I don't have to go fetch it during this chaotic time, but man, this was not something I needed right now.
    • Whaaaat
    Reactions: Chevywolf30
    Chevywolf30
    Chevywolf30
    That sounds chaotic. Are you gonna go out and check out the garage sale deal? That sounds fun at least.
    CynthiaLover
    CynthiaLover
    No, I'm not. I don't do well in crowds (social anxiety and all that fun stuff), and it can get very chaotic during this 3-day event. So I simply hunker down and not budge until it's all over. I also can't move my car from my specified spot in my apartment property because people have taken my spot when I go out and leave me without a place to put my car. So I'm basically stuck inside until Monday.
    Well, after picking up Breath of Fire 3 again after taking a few days to rest I not only beat another Archmage but also a Berserker. And it turns out Berserker, while very powerful, gives less EXP than Archmage (30,000, or 10,000 per character, compared to Archmage's 48,000, or 16,000 per character). While I didn't get any drops from it this does prove that my party, or at least Ryu, Nina, and Garr, can eat Myria for breakfast (considering that Ryu is Level 47, Nina is Level 46, and Garr is Level 41, and the "recommended" level to face Myria is Level 40, it's no surprise... and I've beaten her with party members only in the 30s in the past). Sheesh, at the rate I'm going the final bosses, including Myria herself, will be a walk in the roses.
    Well, I did something today I've never achieved before. While playing Breath of Fire 3 I ended up defeating three Archmages. In case you don't know, Archmages are one of the two strongest monster in the game, equal to Berserker, and even stronger than the final boss. While they have low HP (only 3,000) they auto-recover 1,500 each turn, are fast enough to prevent you from getting Extra Turns, and have two devastating attacks in the form of Myollnir and Mind Sword that can one-shot pretty much every cast member no problem. Myollnir can be absorbed with a Thunder Ring but Mind Sword can't be mitigated outside of Defense buffs, so you're at the mercy of RNG. Beating them, however, gives you Rei's best weapon. And, somehow, I managed to beat three of them within one day. And the stupid amount of EXP it gives has catapulted Ryu, Nina, and Garr into my strongest fighters. I've never beaten one before, much less three, so I feel pretty good. This playthrough is becoming one of, if not my best playthrough of Breath of Fire 3 to date. Now... if I can just beat a Berserker then I know I can eat Myria for breakfast, but that requires a whole other strategy.
    Hi CynthiaLover. Not sure you remember talking a couple of times in times past since I've been gone for years. Anyway I was browsing on the What Did You Write Today thread and I noticed you write chapters pretty fast.

I'm trying to write a fanfic of my own and I was wondering if you can give me some tips when it comes to writing. I'm having some issues filling out descriptions on the world I'm making and in long conversation scenes. I can imagine the scene in my head and hear the tone in my ears but putting it on text is a different story. I'm good when it comes to fight scenes and dialogue though.
    CynthiaLover
    CynthiaLover
    Oh, hey, it has been a while.

I guess I could give you some pointers on writing, although I admit I do have a bad habit of getting overly detailed in some aspects so don't mind if this gets long-winded by accident.

Descriptions, as I learned from my own stuff, is best kept fairly short and sweet, as overly detailed descriptions can become a big block of text that is a pain to read and can repel readers. Some of my earlier works fell victim to that until I learned to trim the fat off of them. Identify the most crucial aspects of the description first, such as general environment/design/structure/etc, then start adding in smaller details to flesh it out. But don't go overboard on the smaller details, just enough to get the point across while giving it enough life to make it feel real.

As for long conversations, first make sure you identify which character is talking every now and then so the different dialog don't get mixed up. I tend to rehearse the idea both in my head and sometimes verbally to get the general flow of how it'll play out and tweak it as I write so it doesn't become an endless barrage of text. Also put in occasional breaks in between certain parts of the dialog, such as the character pondering to what to say next or to show a reaction to a certain statement. That'll make it flow more easily and give you points to use like checkpoints in a Crash Bandicoot game that'll give you a chance to change or review what you've got so far.

But my best advice is to go at your own pace. I tend to get chapters written more quickly than others because I often do it in short, controlled bursts, but that's just the style I developed. Also I've been writing since middle school (I'm in my 30's now) so I have a fair bit of experience in the trade (although it took until a college course to iron out the kinks in my writing style and evolve it into a better form). If something about what you're writing is frustrating you, step back and take a break so it can simmer for a while. It'll help prevent burnout and keep the creativity gears greased more evenly, along with keeping writer's block at bay. In short, go at the pace you feel works for you, take any breaks you need to prevent burnout, and figure out a style that works best for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Steel_Justice
    Steel_Justice
    Thank you for responding so quickly

I guess I could make rough notes in my sand box that I put my notes in to identify aspects of the environment. I have a pretty clear idea what the city looks like, I based it off one of my favorite video games :). Occasional breaks between parts of dialogue for a POV character to think is a good idea, I think I'll give it a shot. I haven't read much novels or fanfiction but I did read 2 big visual novels which is probably where my base style comes from. Though I don't have the luxury of music or fancy visuals.

My fic is a gritty street crime drama in the Pokemon world. If you've ever seen shows like CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, Daredevil or Punisher that's the kind of thing I'm going for but a tad less violent and bloody. If you know of any stories that you or someone else wrote (doesn't have to be for Pokemon) I'd be interested to read some of it to get a feel on how to bring a scene to life.

And I hear you about the burnout. It takes me a while to plan out the fight scenes since I want it to be the best I can make it and have my own style. My chapters so far have been on the long side in my opinion. The first one is almost a big action scene that moves to different locations as the battle progresses. It was over 12000 words and I'm not certain if it's really that long.

I do like crafting characters and storylines so if you ever want to bounce ideas or character concepts back and forth we could do that through messages or something.
    Well, my dad officially retired from his teaching/teacher's aid job. At 75 years old I think it's time for him to hang up his neckties, set the alarm clock to "snooze", and just take it easy. He'll probably drive mom crazy but he just cannot keep getting up at 6 AM to go to school every day, as it takes too much out of him. So we're throwing a little party for him this weekend as celebration for decades of teaching those little gremlins... excuse me, "students". I'd say it's about time.
    Okay, I just learned something interesting while surfing YouTube. Turns out that there is a glitch in Monster Rancher 2 DX. This glitch has a very interesting effect. If your monster goes on expeditions, you'll only lose about a week of lifespan despite the fact that your monster is on a month-long expedition. Normally you'd lose the 4 weeks that your out on the expedition plus another week due to fatigue, but this glitch only registers the lost week from fatigue. As a result, if you go on as many expeditions as possible your monster can effectively double its lifespan. Now I'm starting to understand why Mero lasted as long a she did, longer than she was supposed to, as she went on several expeditions, but only lost a week's worth of lifespan on each because of the glitch. Don't tell TECMO this, as they'll patch it, but it's a very interesting discovery and exploit if anyone is playing Monster Rancher 2 DX.
    Not sure why I'm posting this (probably because I'm bored) but after many years of forgetting about it I made my old chili recipe for the first time. I made it mostly for mom as a treat of sorts for getting through all her physical therapy post-surgery, as she looooooves chili. However, I had to make some adjustments to it.

First off, the original barbeque sauce I used has long since been discontinued (A&W Root Beer Barbeque Sauce), so I had to experiment with a different brand, in this case Heinz Sweet and Smokey Kansas Style Barbeque Sauce. I gave it a taste test prior to using it and it's pretty good so I felt it was a good substitute. Also, because dad is on a special diet he can't have onions so I had to omit them. And finally, normally I use beef or bison (bison is my preferred choice for my chili due to it being so healthy but it's not the easiest to find) but since I had to make a large batch (effectively double the recipe), I used both bison and ground wagyu (I have a special monthly ordering system where I order certain foods, such as organic, grass-fed, wild-caught, and all that other fun stuff, and have it delivered, for a good price I might add, and their service has quite a few rare treats that I can't find around here, including wagyu, swordfish, lobster, bison, duck, wild boar, and so on).

The combo, I will say, tastes great, so while it's not my original version it'll do nicely. As a result I spent most of today either cooking or gathering up the needed ingredients. Hopefully mom will like it, as she really needs a nice treat after all the physical therapy and getting over her Covid over the past month.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom