• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.
Arylett Charnoa
Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• [ Concept A ] Serena FKMN 3.png

Think I'm getting the design down for my Fakemon, Serena. Another iteration, featuring colors, the shiny version, and how it can resize its crystals to look like wings for combat.

Based it on an older design I made that was partially based on the domesticated silver fox. This fox variant resulted from a Russian breeding experiment that led to them acquiring the traits of dogs, like curled up tails and folded ears.
    I caved and decided to buy Violet as well. In spite of these games being inexcusably buggy, I still enjoyed Scarlet enough to want to take another go. Usually, I don't buy the second version. So this is a special occasion. I guess Gen IX really grew on me. [Also, get to avoid human interaction by trading the Pokemon to myself. Win-win. Though if any of you need a Pokemon for your dex, you can feel free to ask me. I have most of them already - just not Violet exclusives yet.]

While some may call me part of the problem, I will note that I wasn't interested in Sw/Sh in the slightest and skipped out on most of Gen VIII. I don't feel obligated to buy anything - I only buy things I think I will enjoy, even if they have issues, and purchased this second version out of a legitimate love of the game.

I won't be starting my Violet playthrough for a week after it arrives though. I've been distracted enough with filling the Pokedex in Scarlet, and need to focus on art and other things I need to do.
    Reactions: InfiniteBakuphoon
    InfiniteBakuphoon
    InfiniteBakuphoon
    I’d rather doubt that one extra little copy sold after already having sold more than 10 million copies of the things in less than a month is going to make Nintendo or The Pokémon Company or whoever change their mind on anything, would be my response to anyone who’d call you “part of the problem” (that, and it takes much more than sales to make a statement, anyway). Not that you should have to justify anything to anyone, of course. In any case, I hope you have fun with it!
    Arylett Charnoa
    Arylett Charnoa
    @InfiniteBakuphoon Thanks for the reassurance, aha. Sometimes, the Pokemon community can get a bit uncomfortably passionate about peoples' monetary decisions. I do feel bad for liking this game as much as I do, even if it is so very annoyingly buggy. I'm sure I'll have fun with it all over again though. It's just nice to enjoy Pokemon again, because it's definitely one of my favorite series in the entire world.
    Tormenting myself continuously over my fursona/Fakemon yet again. One day, I will finish this thing's design... maybe when I die. I at least want to try to have something finalized before I get to the end of this sketchbook. [I have six pages left.]
    image_2022-12-01_064557581.png

Yet another concept for my Fakemon, Serena. You can find more info about it in this Google doc.
    • Gold Star
    Reactions: InfiniteBakuphoon
    InfiniteBakuphoon
    InfiniteBakuphoon
    That’s some pretty incredible lore there, Arylett! It makes me kind of wish canon Pokémon lore always went this deep (even if the whole extinction of humanity thing would probably be something of a buzzkill for Game Freak, haha).

Physical and special split TMs are also something that I’ve never seen before, and never would’ve thought of until now, actually; heh. I wonder if any ROM hacks have tried something like that? It seems so simple yet so right for some reason…
    Arylett Charnoa
    Arylett Charnoa
    @InfiniteBakuphoon Oh, thank you. I didn't expect anyone to actually read it. Game Freak can't really explore darker concepts in-depth because of how Pokemon must appear squeaky clean for children, but I find the creative potential within the series to be very inspiring, and wanted to do a kind of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-esque thing except it is explained that humanity's now long gone.

As for the TMs, I thought of them because my TM list was getting out of control. I wanted a wide variety of TMs from different gens [and I also have some moves I made up myself], but having them all listed as one was way too long. So I decided to sort them based on category. I'm not sure if any rom hacks have ever tried it though - but I say it would certainly be convenient. I'm glad you like it!
    Hey there. I just checked out your website more or less on a whim, and by extension your DeviantArt page via your provided links there. I’m sure that nobody has to tell you this — and that you’ve doubtless heard this from others countless times before — but I just feel the need to say this: you are one incredible artist! I’m especially impressed by your original works, and by just of the sheer volume of your creativity, really. It seems endless! You have an incredible gift — gifts, really — and I think that you should be proud of that. Again, I just wanted to come out and say that!

In the meantime, I didn’t want to just do this out of the blue since we don’t really talk directly that often and I remember you mentioning that you can get sort of anxious about this kind of stuff, so… would you mind if I followed you? Because what I’ve heard from you here has always been really insightful and interesting, especially about the games and such!
    Arylett Charnoa
    Arylett Charnoa
    Oh wow, I certainly did not expect such kindness out of the blue. Thank you, I sincerely do appreciate it. Really. I actually do not get much in the way of compliments, as I tend to be left to my own devices, so it is nice to receive one once in a while. [Also, that website is kind of outdated, I tend to work on it on a whim. Eventually, it'll be refreshed with some stuff I've been percolating for a while now.]

Yes, I have seen things from you as well, and I believe you also seem insightful and interesting as you tend to make longer, more well-thought out statuses than others.

Following me though is no issue - it doesn't bother me nor cause any of my usual anxieties. So do so to your heart's content!
    Finished Scarlet after a week of binging. I generally enjoyed how the story was hands-off save for the near end. The conclusion was quite nice for a Pokémon game and as I held off on wandering too much, I wasn't overleveled and had a decent challenge with the gauntlet of strong opponents. Overall, I have a very love-hate relationship with the game. It has the potential to be a great game, but is so held back by its performance and multitudes of other issues. Like Arceus, it's a good stepping stone for the future, though I'm tired of stepping stones and want an actual polished Pokémon game which pushes the series to new heights.

I can't say I regret my time with it though and I'll be trying to fill the dex now.
    Because I tend to wander off and get easily distracted, I've been overleveled for all of Scarlet. [Same as my Legends Arceus playthrough] I plan on remedying this with a second playthrough where I intentionally limit myself, as I've enjoyed the game enough to play again in the future. Still wish there was level scaling though. [And that Ninetales was in the game. ;~; I'll have to use it in my second Legends playthrough instead.]
    Arylett Charnoa
    Arylett Charnoa
    @InfiniteBakuphoon I couldn't agree more with your assessment. It'd be hilarious if these mods/hacks actually fix the performance before Game Freak does.

If it helps, you could wait for the asking price to go down and grab a used copy for cheaper. Although that takes considerably longer these days.
    InfiniteBakuphoon
    InfiniteBakuphoon
    Weirder things have happened in the mod space, haha! I do hope that whoever gets it done, however, gets it done reasonably quickly. Hopefully not as quickly as Game Freak clearly rushed themselves — or were rushed — with these games, though (I especially feel bad for the rank-and-file). I mean, the other Pokémon games had their technical issues: the Let’s Go games lagged like crazy and SWSH had… N64 trees, to paraphrase the meme. But at least the Let’s Go games looked pretty and were sharp as a tack in portable mode, while SWSH were at least functional if not exactly pleasant to look at all of the time. But Scarlet & Violet? This is a completely different level here… this is unfinished. Which is a shame, because I really want to play these games! I really do, since there seems to be some genuinely great stuff here that I’d love to explore along with everyone else. But alas, I don’t buy unfinished games. Not at full price anyway, and indeed, I might take up your advice with a used copy, as kind of wrong as that feels, in a way (not that it should really affect Nintendo’s bottom line or anything, with the 10+ million the games have sold already). Either that, or I’ll just catch up on PLA, perhaps? Or maybe even BDSP or New Pokémon Snap, maybe. I have to be very careful with what I spend my little money on nowadays, I’m afraid…
    Arylett Charnoa
    Arylett Charnoa
    @InfiniteBakuphoon Yes, I also feel for the rank and file. I can see that there was clearly passion and creativity in the creation of this game, but alas, they could not fully realize it.

I wouldn't say it's wrong to buy a used copy though. As much as I enjoyed the experience, I was equally frustrated in good measure, and do somewhat regret giving money to a shoddy product that might encourage the creation of more shoddy products. They don't really deserve to be $60 for the level of quality on display.

As I said to you before, I recommend Legends Arceus. It'll give you a good idea of what direction this new gen's gone in, whilst being far more stable. My critique on it is that it focuses more on catching than battling, though catching is really fun, it doesn't have much replay value once you've caught them all, sadly. I haven't played BDSP or New Pokemon Snap though, so I am biased.
    Overall impression on Scarlet/Violet: It's fun and addictive, but it's not as good as Legends Arceus, and also inexcusably broken. No level scaling detracts immensely from the open world design.

Side tangent: I also dislike the school setting which I don't think suits an open world game in the slightest. I don't need supreme hyperviolent edginess, but being a school kid stuck in a dorky uniform traveling the world instead of the classroom doesn't feel right. I also don't appreciate how condescending the tutorials are. Wish the Pokemon Company would stop acting like three year olds are the only ones who play these games. I don't care if it's a kids' franchise - earlier games didn't baby us this much. It's basically Game Freak admitting that they think younger generations are getting stupider/more distracted and that they have no faith in them.
    1668469447163.png

Had an absolute blast using only four Pokemon in HGSS. The Champion was rather challenging and took me several tries. [Though most of my Pokemon were absolutely terrible for the battle - my EV-trained Dragonair [which I have no plans on evolving ever] with Choice Specs was barely able to solo it as the other three fell over] Red's going to be quite difficult.

I think from now on, I'll only use four Pokemon throughout all my playthroughs. It feels better balanced. Definitely doing so for Scarlet/Violet.
    1668321904845.png

Concept of my Fakemon Serena - an alternate evo to Vulpix via Moon Stone. Psychic/Fire. It's supposed to be my end all be all Pokesona/fursona. Closing in on the final design. It's a lot like Hisuian Zoroark in colors/appearance and the fact that it has Illusion as a Hidden Ability. However, it's supposed to be a benign counterpart that only hides itself out of fear of hostility. [Hisuian Zoroark just didn't feel right as a 'sona for me. Too dark.]
    Starting a new HGSS file because it's my favorite Pokemon game. Can't decide between Espeon or Umbreon for my team. ;~;
    Reactions: Okido
    Arylett Charnoa
    Arylett Charnoa
    The choice for me isn't really about viability at all - moreso about aesthetics. I can make whichever one work as I do know that Umbreon is more of a defensive Pokemon and Espeon is much easier to speed through playthroughs with.
    Reactions: Okido
    prog rocker
    prog rocker
    Okay, that's harder since I love both.
    Arylett Charnoa
    Arylett Charnoa
    I know, right?! I've decided on which one though thanks to asking my husband which one he preferred. He said Umbreon, so I guess that's the one I'll go with! It'll make the playthrough more fun trying to adapt to its defensive style, ha.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom