• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Search results

1. Beth Pavell

DISCUSSION: Oneshot Competition Chat Thread (Summer 2019)

Well, it's finally happened. This scene was perhaps a bit too cinematic in my imagination, which is usually a recipe for a hard slog doing the description. Kinda got one eye on the time here. Last thing I want is to get bogged down here, so if I can crack this problem tomorrow before work I...
  2. Beth Pavell

I really ought to pester my sister again. She seems to be nocturnal at the moment so getting a beta comment out of her is a bit of a trial
  3. Beth Pavell

Plot holes bug the hell out of me, so I tend to work hard on sealing them up. Perhaps a little too much, since suspension of disbelief does allow the author some latitude in small plot holes
  4. Beth Pavell

POPULAR: What Did You Write Today?

Two hundred words, I think. A little anodyne, but sometimes they just have to get the job done
  5. Beth Pavell

I'm about 1500 words into my entry, which is a particularly good pace by my standards. Ideally I'd like to be essentially finished by the last week to give myself time to do heavy edits
  6. Beth Pavell

What countries have you been to, and which one are you from?

I'm English and let's see ... France, Switzerland, Germany (Only just), India (Technically), China, and the USA. Oh, hold on, and Wales. I did have to double-check which side of the border Berwick-upon-Tweed is, as that might have added Scotland to the list
  7. Beth Pavell

What video games are you playing now?

Empire Total War: Great Britain 1701-1705 - Added Austria to the list of trade partners for a pretty stable trading profile. Swapping tech with some of the major powers has given me a slight headstart in artillery, but for technology I've been concentrating in the basics - bayonets, basic farm...
  8. Beth Pavell

Approximately another 150 words. Still working to the 'good enough' standard, so it all may require extensive editing later, but for now it's enough for me to move on to the next scene tomorrow
  9. Beth Pavell

DISCUSSION: The Strangest Thing You've Ever Done in Fanfiction

Strangest thing? Hm, hard to say, I suppose. One candidate might be the character of Captain Guinevere "Smoky Gwen" Vesparo, technically for an RPG, but close enough to fanfic. She was a deconstruction of the Jack Sparrow type, deliberately as unglamorous and unappealing as possible. She made...
  10. Beth Pavell

Empire Total War: Great Britain 1700-1701 - A new game and frenetic activity. First order of business is to raise tax income, so to that end I've been building governmental buildings and trying to stimulate growth in the backwaters - Scotland, the Bahamas, Rupert's Land. A sugar plantation in...
  11. Beth Pavell

Writers Workshop General Chat Thread

Assuming the theme is the same for everyone I'd still say: do it for a reason. If the medium doesn't normally allow for dialogue tags - IMs, for example - then there's an argument for it. In general prose I can't see that it's going to add anything in 90% of cases, so much as make the story look...
  12. Beth Pavell

About 150 words. Most won't need much editing, I think, but we'll see how they look in the morning
  13. Beth Pavell

Writers Workshop General Chat Thread

It's almost always a recipe for disaster. I certainly would never recommend it on a forum with more than one theme
  14. Beth Pavell

POPULAR: What Did You Read Today?

Finished Mythos, Stephen Fry - a charming re-telling of Greek myth, one I enjoyed more than I expected. Fry doesn't try to avoid the essential weirdness of the myths, or to somehow make them more noble than they were. The anthology is written with obvious affection but not reverence
  15. Beth Pavell

Approximately fifty words that will have to do. Next section requires some thinking through to get the tone right, so actual words on paper will slow down somewhat
  16. Beth Pavell

Approximately 200 words. Looking again at the story structure to tighten a few things up, following beta comments
  17. Beth Pavell

DISCUSSION: Let's talk "Subversion," shall we?

The Sopranos has its own subversion, in a series increasingly forgotten since Breaking Bad. To elaborate on my earlier point, you don't see much inter-mob violence on The Sopranos, contrary to what the mob genre might lead you to expect. The reason is that this is the modern mob - like all...
  18. Beth Pavell

Medieval II Total War: England. Feeling somewhat smug now - a skirmish in Brittany led to the French King Louis marching up from Touraine. My army retreated further into Brittany, while a Norman force descended on the French from Caen and routed them. King Louis barely escaped, and mercenary...
  19. Beth Pavell

DISCUSSION: Let's talk "Subversion," shall we?

I don't recall whether Ellis also commented on retwatchability or social media obsession. but it wouldn't surprise me. I suppose it depends on how quick on the uptake the audience is. Episode 9 of Game of Thrones season 1 was enough to convince me heroes won't get plot armour in this story at...
  20. Beth Pavell

POPULAR: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

In part this swings back round to tired clichés again. I've lost count of the number of journeyfics that have had 'non-standard' (The canon status of that is disputable, even in the anime) starters, which have turned out to be a Riolu or a Ralts. It's hard to want to stick around to see whether...