• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Announcing the National Bulbagraphic photography contest, open to entries from New Pokémon Snap and Sword and Shield, with prizes for the winners! A thread with all the details on how to enter can be found here.

Search results

1. Puddle

Were Diamond and Pearl the ultimate games?

Junichi Masuda once wrote on his blog that he wanted Diamond and Pearl to be the "ultimate version" of Pokémon. Do you think him and his team succeeded? Were Diamond and Pearl, at the time of their release, the ultimate Pokémon games? I think they were, at least in some respects. The way...
  2. Puddle

Preservation of the Pokémon video games

Reselling games that are several decades old does seem rather exploitative. It's similar to what Disney does with its classic films. It would be better if all games became available to download for free, legally, after a certain number of years have passed, but I can't see this happening in...
  3. Puddle

Favourite core series game?

That's interesting that three of your favourites are the first entries of a generation, rather than the enhanced versions. I often end up preferring the original versions too, either because they're more sentimental to me or because the enhanced version made changes that I don't like. Johto...
  4. Puddle

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Thank you for finding this out for me. I'm glad I'm not imagining it! (I did wonder if I wasn't noticing the words "critical hit" because I was scrolling through the text too fast.) I actually think having some randomness in the damage calculation is more realistic. It would be unnatural for...
  5. Puddle

Is there a random element to damage calculation in the main series games? I often find that moves, when used in succession against the same opponent, vary slightly in power each time. To give a recent example... in Omega Ruby I was battling Brawly's Machop, which was at full health. My...
  6. Puddle

Your controversial opinions

Oh, yes I agree with you about the cutscenes! I was thinking more about the order that events occur in. There's a good balance between the Island Challenge and Lillie's storyline. I like how the Aether Foundation segments happen in between exploring the islands, for example. And in Sun and...
  7. Puddle

I actually really like the pacing in SM. I like how the main climax of the story occurs after all the Trials and Grand Trials are completed, and then once it's over you can head to the Pokemon League straight away. I wish more of the Pokemon games were structured like this. I also find that...
  8. Puddle

Pokédex speculation

It's actually quite challenging, as I discovered when making my own regional dex for this thread, to ensure there's a sufficient amount of team options for each type, if the roster is small. I suspect one reason Game Freak started making the regional dexes bigger was so that the Gym Leaders and...
  9. Puddle

If You Could Change a Pokémon...

I'd change Wurmple's evolution method, so that it evolves into Silcoon during the day, or Cascoon at night.
  10. Puddle

I actually think Gen 6 is the superior 3DS generation. It had stereoscopic 3D (although admittedly I don't always use it), better multiplayer features, access to Mega Evolution during the main story, and its two game releases were completely different, set in different regions. Like you, I...
  11. Puddle

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

You can catch Lunala before the Elite Four. After you defeat Gladion outside Mount Lanakila, he mentions that he saw Lillie heading to Mahalo Trail (where the bridge is) with something on her mind. Then you can go and find her there, and challenge Nebby to a battle.
  12. Puddle

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

I always advise people to use whatever Pokemon they like best during the main story. As long as you use Pokemon that are fully-evolved, train them to a high enough level, and have plenty of healing items in your bag, you shouldn't have too many problems, especially not with Necrozma in your...
  13. Puddle

Preservation of the Pokémon video games

I've been quite vocal over the past year about my concerns regarding DLC and the impermanence of digital content. Despite having already purchased the Sword Expansion Pass digitally, I was considering getting the physical bundle as a way of preserving it for the future. But the recent reports...
  14. Puddle

I can't remember which trainers around Alola challenge you to Double Battles off the top of my head, but you can take part in an unlimited number of Double Battles in the Battle Tree. There's always been a frustratingly small amount of opportunities to try out the special battle modes in the...
  15. Puddle

Sudden failures being reported with some Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire cartridges

My copy of Omega Ruby, purchased in the UK on release day, still works. It's one of my favourite games, so I'd be very sad if it did stop working.
  16. Puddle

Pokemon platinum question

Someone made this comparison video showing the difference in animation speeds between the two games. Walking and running speeds are the same, but surfing is almost twice as fast. The battles are faster too, but the difference is quite subtle. I like how Platinum fleshes out Cyrus'...
  17. Puddle

Pokédex speculation

If BDSP really does only contain the Platinum Dex and not much more (which is certainly a possibility), it'll be the first time a remake has cut something really significant that was in the original game - except for Game Corners, and there's an understandable reason for that. (I don't count...
  18. Puddle

Pokédex speculation

I completely forgot about Rotom Heat! It's late at night here and I'm sleepy haha. In Platinum, Rotom can be caught as soon as you reach Eterna Forest, so maybe they'll do the same here. It would be cool if we also had access to its alternate forms during the main story (and hopefully through...
  19. Puddle

Pokédex speculation

With just the Pokemon I listed under "definitely", we'd have Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape, Ponyta, Rapidash, Magby, Magmar, Magmortar, Flareon and Heatran. If the full Platinum Dex is in, then we'll have Houndour and Houndoom too. The original Sinnoh Dex is also severely lacking in Ice and...
  20. Puddle

Pokédex speculation

You need the Regis to awaken Regigigas in Diamond and Pearl, too. I did consider putting them under "likely", but I can't imagine Regigigas being included in a game without its underlings, not even if there was a new method for awakening it. I actually edited my post and moved Sylveon to...