• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Search results

1. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

It feels like Chloe was added last moment to avoid the "Pokémon has no female representation!" outrage which would have justifiably occurred if only Ash and Go were present.
  2. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

I’m guessing because it’s actually one of the not-abysmally developed Pokémon in the cast. Honestly it feels like they want us to like Lucario but I feel it’s been pretty forced so far, while Dragonite is naturally likeable, the way they’ve written it.
  3. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

Like I said, I have no idea since I don’t follow the manga, I was just commenting on the general complaint of “character is deliberately lying about their own abilities" thing.
  4. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

An actual controversial opinion for once: I don’t mind type overlaps. Honestly, a Pokémon doesn’t become useless or redundant just because another Pokémon of the same type is present. The writers neglecting one over the other is a writing issue, not a type issue. As long as they have different...
  5. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

You might want to read about the Dunning Kruger effect. People who’re very well versed and experienced (but not the best or an expert) tend to have astronomically low estimations of what they actually know. It is a legitimate issue when a budding professional realised how vast their field of...
  6. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

I don’t really follow the manga, but there are legitimately talented people with self esteem issues. Not all talented people have a mental health that allows them call themselves experienced and talented.
  7. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

It might be the result of confirmation bias, and I don’t know if it’s the voice acting or the names, but I often feel that Japanese Pokémon names sometimes translate much better into “Pokémon cries” than English names for me. The Japanese cries sound more animalistic and something you can expect...
  8. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

Even "eating food together" is more than anything JN does, though. Also, this is a very valid point.
  9. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

I mean, even outside shipping circles I've seen people saying they have a "well done bond", which I can totally fail to comprehend.
  10. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

To add onto this, it’s not as if the anime doesn’t have a history of giving their main characters Pokémon that haven’t existed for thousands of years Ash-Greninja ;) I mean… you literally mention Iris in your next line who went into a "traditional token collecting quest" and won it.
  11. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

Honestly, I’m not sure why are we applying game logic to the anime e cause terms like STAB, base power and other statistics don’t really exist in the anime.
  12. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

Honestly I feel this is a distortion of facts, I'd have gladly used a less extreme term but this seems like cherry-picking to make Journey's issues seem mild and "as usual" in comparison. Literally all Pokémon you mention were the outliers in their series which are almost universally agreed to...
  13. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

Well, for all we know the anime could do a BW level reset… I don't really underestimate their ability to keep Ash around if they want while still coming up with a way to beat Leon. My personal theory is Ash might end up battling Leon but not under the PWC. Well, no one knows what might happen...
  14. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

Well, this doesn’t actually address any of my reasons for the contrary. It clearly sets precedent that a gym challenge will not necessarily be a regression. It’s not as if "Ash is a champion" is a plot point in JN anyways. You could plop JN before XY and nothing much would change in terms of...
  15. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

I quoted the games there. The games flat out say that Raihan is a champion level trainer outside of Galar. Meaning he could be a champion in any other region if he wanted to be. I was just pointing out how Ash winning a league in Alola doesn’t mean that he can never compete in a league ever again.
  16. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

Well, they can always come up with an excuse. Galar had the perfect one: the trainers here are so strong that the gym leaders alone are champion level, and you cannot complete without proving your worth. Hell, getting a sponsorship could be an arc all in itself with the Galar authorities...
  17. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

The additional attention from older fans, and social media clout and trending on places like Twitter. Notice how little we actually get of Dawn as a character in these episodes. These are just legendary episodes with Dawn thrown into them for attention.
  18. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

For the record, the "Gym formula makes no sense because it is repetitive" argument makes no sense. The anime is not made for longtime fans. It’s made for the target audience of children. The current target audience hasn’t grown up to see even a single gym challenge because the last one was 6...
  19. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

Honestly; even if JN manages to up its writing quality or suddenly go EVERYTHING good, it can never give us the best battle in the series due to the inherent flaws. The reason a lot of the battles are “best battles” because of the Pokemon’s character development. The Paul battle was the...
  20. PkmnTrainerV

Controversial opinions

I mean, the fact that it lost to the most overpowered Pokémon in existence doesn’t invalidate anything else it did. It still has a form no one else had, and it still is the only water type of Ash's to evolve post Kingler, not to mention defeating a Pokémon it's water Shuriken has a 4x resistance...