• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Search results

1. Daren

Controversial opinions

Although I do appreciate that the show plays with the cat/mouse rivalry in a few ways; the mouse is the by far the physically superior one, the cat isn't looking for a snack but to capture the mouse to ultimately make them work with them, and the two are oddly amicable at times. I actually...
  2. Daren

Controversial opinions

I suspect this is partly Ash's long-running underdog factor at play--if he sent out a Garchomp against Paul he'd have a perception of being the stronger of the two (side note: looking back I find it odd Paul didn't have a psuedo back in DP as I recall. It's not like those were locked off or...
  3. Daren

Controversial opinions

Of course, joking aside I imagine Sceptile basically trusted Ash and assumed it wasn't exactly what it looked like. This wasn't too long after the small arc where he lost his powers and regained them after Ash was in danger, which showed how close they are. Drawing that comparison, back in Isle...
  4. Daren

Controversial opinions

If I recall correctly we had Arbok and Weezing refusing to attack a doctor who healed them back in Kanto and I thought there was an episode later on where Wobbufett or Meowth got TR's others to stand down, but the memory is vague. On the flip side Sceptile used a referee as a human shield when...
  5. Daren

Controversial opinions

There's a remote possibility here; that Alain is going to have a rematch with Greninja outside the tournament the same way Infernape got to fight Moltres a bit earlier, done that way because they don't want reserves being used in the tournament proper. I'm not saying I think it's likely and I'd...
  6. Daren

Controversial opinions

I don't think they were that low on options. Brandon or any other post-game boss would also work. Alain was probably either intended to get people watching for hope of a rematch or really wanting another Charizard.
  7. Daren

Controversial opinions

I think this is referring to the modern trend of companies wanting things to go viral and built up tons of anticipation. You see it in a lot of marketing these days. Little teasers that give away little intended to build up excitement for the generally disappointing reveal. For JN we know they...
  8. Daren

Controversial opinions

I admit I'm a bit uncertain why people say that Ash vs Leon being required hurts the tournament when we also 100% knew Ash was going to battle Gary, Morrison, Paul, and Alain in those leagues. For believability; I've said it before but as far as I'm concerned all Journeys did was finally...
  9. Daren

Controversial opinions

Honestly, I think making E4 and champions so ridiculously strong in the show was inevitably going to cause issues if they decided to actually let Ash battle them in a serious manner, and unfortunately after "Ash wins a league" was treated like it would call a curse upon the world for so long...
  10. Daren

Controversial opinions

The Hoenn League did have three full battles in it--which is all we'd need for the Master Eight if we skip non-Ash ones, hopefully with two episodes for each instead of being rushed like back then--but that was many years ago.
  11. Daren

Controversial opinions

Paul was a credible opponent but he was still Ash's peer; he didn't have any major accomplishments Ash didn't, Ash beat him directly once and was able to tie him before. It's not a situation where Paul was clearly and consistently better at everything--they just sort of gave him a huge win at...
  12. Daren

Controversial opinions

As of the Master Eight revelation I think I may see what's going on here and why the tournament has come across as surprisingly easy. Traditionally, the Pokémon anime hasn't really done the full David and Goliath thing that much; Ash's main rivals were not that strong until Alain, and Ash...
  13. Daren

Controversial opinions

Sort of springing off this, as much as it feels like Galar got burned by JN's format I can see why they did a world tour: if they wanted to do a world championship they were running out of time for even brackets, and unless they were going to wait for gen 16 and that is way too long to plan a TV...
  14. Daren

Controversial opinions

Even in the games the level requirement mostly seems to apply to Pokémon in the player's party rather than being a hard rule of how the universe works; you see overevolved Pokémon in NPC teams or the wild (Lance's Dragonite team in G/S/C, Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest in Yellow, low level...
  15. Daren

Controversial opinions

The backlash wasn't because it was unrealistic, but because it was narratively unsatisfying for Ash and Greninja mastering their form to only result in a return to the status quo of beating Sawyer but never managing to defeat Mega Charizard X, combined with a general feeling of Alain as an...
  16. Daren

Controversial opinions

Greninja basically gets a lot of backlash because his hype to payoff ratio was bad, but in terms of overall treatment? Probably worse than Infernape or Charizard, better than most of Ash's other Pokémon. Probably better than some entire teams. Heck, JN is bringing Greninja back and is probably...
  17. Daren

Controversial opinions

The sad truth is most of Ash's Pokémon end their story by getting beaten than being dumped off forever at Oak's ranch. The Alola team not going there and never talking to the other Pokémon means they never know how good they had it.
  18. Daren

Controversial opinions

The memes trying to badass up Red are funny if you remember that in the original games he canonically faints in dead terror if there's nothing to protect him from a level 2 Rattata.
  19. Daren

Controversial opinions

Honestly I assume it was mostly children who didn't think through the implications. Heaven knows ten year old me (and twenty year old me...) had some questionable ideas. I'm mostly neutral to Red himself (he's just a player avatar in R/B/Y and has zero characterization in G/S/C--he might be...
  20. Daren

Controversial opinions

I literally saw people in the OS era saying Ash should ambush Pikachu with a Thunderstone and toss it into him to force evolution. These people did not seem to consider either the moral implications or the practical ones of making someone a: Angry at you to the point they might stop listening...