• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • Recently, some of our fellow Pokémon fan sites have received legal requests to take down leaked Sword and Shield images. We have not received one of these requests yet, but we are taking some preemptive measures to stay on the safe side. We ask that from now until the games release (November 15th) that you do not post any new leaked images anywhere on the forums.

For more information, see this thread

Search results

1. CynthiaLover

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Uh, no. It most definitely has a shell. Here's it's official description bio from the wiki. Notice the words I put in bold and italics? The word in question being SHELL. Therefor, Torterra has a shell, meaning it has all the "requirements" to use Shell Smash. So, no, it most certainly has a...
  2. CynthiaLover

I find this a bit strange. Why doesn't Torterra learn Shell Smash? A fair few turtle/tortoise Pokemon learn it, like Carracosta and Turtonator, so why doesn't Torterra? It could give it a much-needed upgrade by allowing it to hit like a Mack truck and be quicker on its heavy feet. After all...
  3. CynthiaLover

I think it's based off of the fact that, when a skunk is killed (usually as roadkill), its stink gland explodes, which causes it to stink for days afterward. That's also the basis of the Aftermath ability it (and others) have. As I have a LOT of skunks around my area, and seen many roadkill...
  4. CynthiaLover

Something recently came to mind. Given how all its Dex data says it's a powerful and fast swimmer, why doesn't Poliwrath learn Aqua Jet now that it exists? Not only would it help with Poliwrath's jack-of-all-stats problem, but it would provide it with a STAB priority move that would feed off its...
  5. CynthiaLover

My replay of Platinum reminded me that Drifloon and Drifblim don't get any good special-based Flying moves. The only move they get it Gust, even to this day. They really need a upgrade there. Platinum was kinder to them than any of the other games, as it offered Air Cutter as a Move Tutor move...
  6. CynthiaLover

Just a minor one here, but I've always wondered why Poppilo doesn't learn Bubble? I mean, its air balloons are just giant bubbles, right? Learning Bubble would make sense to me if it naturally produces bubble-like balloons, according to its lore. Sure, it learns Bubble Beam, but not Bubble...
  7. CynthiaLover

I've been wondering something. How the heck does Incineroar learn Leech Life?! Who has ever heard of a vampiric tiger before??? It seems like a really out-of-place move if you ask me. At least most of Incineroar's moves make sense (except for the fact that it can't learn Sucker Punch, but that's...
  8. CynthiaLover

Here's something that I quite can't wrap my head around. How can Hariyama learn Whirlwind??? What, does it just whip up a strong wind with those large hands? Or is it used like a sumo-based move or something? I can't figure out how or why Tubbimura's Poke-cousin can use Whirlwind.
  9. CynthiaLover

I don't deny that, which is why weather-related moves are always strange in terms of distribution. But I would call this particular case a smart move, as, despite lore, Helioptile and Heliolisk can't benefit much from sun anyway. Also, some types damaged by other weather types can get abilities...
  10. CynthiaLover

Well, the answer may lie in its abilities. Two of Heliolisk's abilities are Dry Skin and Solar Power. Dry Skin makes it take more damage from Fire moves and reduces its HP every turn when harsh sunlight is out, while allowing it to heal In heavy Rain and heal when hit with Water moves...
  11. CynthiaLover

I agree. 90% accuracy is way too high for such a potent, instant ailment move, especially on non-Poison Mons. They should cut its accuracy to 50% or something for non-Poison types, like how Dark Void got nerfed, thanks to Mr Lethal Joke Character: Smeargle. Or at least cut its distribution down...
  12. CynthiaLover

Then by that logic, Pelipper should learn moves like Thunder, which is heavily associated with rain. But as I pointed out, it doesn't learn any other Elec moves besides Shock Wave. And, for that matter, Shock Wave isn't a storm-related move. It's an Elec-based Swift. And besides, Pelipper could...
  13. CynthiaLover

I forgot to mention something when I posted on this thread last. How in blazes is Pelipper able to use Shock Wave? I mean come on, the bird is 4x weak to Elec, so how can it use a move that would deep fry it in return? And it's not like it gets any other moves of that type to go along with it...
  14. CynthiaLover

Well, it's evolved form gains claws of sorts, so maybe it uses its barbs as makeshift claws until it actually gets arms upon evolution. Think of it in the same vein as Alakazam with Iron Tail and Togekiss with punching moves. Of course, Pokemon and logic mix like water and oil at times, so...
  15. CynthiaLover

No, I'm not. I've tried teaching Skuntank Poison Jab past Gen IV, but it said it was incompatible for some reason. I even used a shiny Skuntank in a X run and tried teaching it Poison Jab but no dice. I doubt it was a one-time glitch, otherwise it wouldn't have been an issue in every one of my...
  16. CynthiaLover

I'm surprised that Skuntank can't learn Gunk Shot or even Poison Jab. It was able to use Poison Jab back in Gen IV (well, Jupiter's could, anyway, so I'm not 100% sure if that was genuine or not), but it lost that move later on. And even with Move Tutors it can't learn Gunk Shot. In fact...
  17. CynthiaLover

This is probably something that has been said before, but Heracross REALLY needs more Bug moves. It learns a grand total of 3 (THREE) Bug moves: Pin Missile, Megahorn, and Bug Bite via Tutor, as of Gen VII. Even Beedrill learns more Bug moves than Heracross (eight to be precise, as of Gen VII...
  18. CynthiaLover

I am very surprised that Pignite cannot learn Bulk Up. Emboar can, but for some reason Pignite can't. Why is that? One would think that Pignite could learn Bulk Up due to its... well, bulk, which makes logical sense to me. Plus it would give it a better buffing move than Defense Curl or Work Up...
  19. CynthiaLover

The Pidove line really needs some more moves. Its movepool leaves a lot to be desired, which is a shame because it's a fairly interesting early bird Mon (mainly its very pronounced gender differences), and the fact it has access to Super Luck, which can be a potent ability when used correctly...
  20. CynthiaLover

I must admit I'm surprised at the lack of stat-buffing moves the Froakie line has. Apart from Double Team (which makes sense in this case) and Work Up (Gen VII only), the entire line lacks any other form of stat-boosting moves like Swords Dance, Agility, and such. It has regained Power-Up Punch...