• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!

Search results

1. Dieter

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Leech Life/Such Blood seems like a rather underhanded technique, and Inciniroar does have fangs... But that's the only way I can see it tie into its lore/themes.
  2. Dieter

why should it?
  3. Dieter

It wouldn't be the first discrepancy between dex entries and movesets, cough Dream eater and Drowzee cough Maybe it uses its tail? Neither can Ferroseed and Ferrothorn, so those two lines are the only gendered lines where not a single member can learn it. It could potentially have been an...
  4. Dieter

Cause she's been going to the gym :lapras:
  5. Dieter

Even if in Japanese it's Rain Prayer, it still works with its ancestor worshipping theme/mourning theme And not only might Ho-oh have summoned the rain that put out the fire, it's also known as the Rainbow Pokemon and is basically a minor weather deity
  6. Dieter

Fair, but it is strongly implied. A ninja tells you that toxic is a 400 yo secret technique, not skill or ability. A technique is something learned and toxic falls in line with what a ninja does
  7. Dieter

Because , in Koga's words "Sealed within that TM lies Toxic! It is a secret technique dating back some four hundred years", so presumably it's man-made rather than a skill created by pokemon.
  8. Dieter

It seems like everyone and their mom can learn shock wave by TM/tutor. Porygon and the dratini line make sense, but why do furret or gothorita learn it? Thematically it doens't make more sense for them to learn shock wave than it does for pelipper. However, the descriptions for shock wave all...
  9. Dieter

I'm guessing because they're in the Monster egg group. And most pokemon that only belong to that group learns these moves, probably as a reference to their kaiju-like nature. That's the best I can come up with
  10. Dieter

Yes, but it explicitly says 'vanish' not 'hide'. Hiding in the dark is pretty different than moving yourself to some shadow realm, or wherever they might transport to. That said, there are more ghost types that could have it, even though it's not that great a move (unless you use a power herb...
  11. Dieter

Cotton Guard for Banette. It once got it as an event move and it makes sense thematically...
  12. Dieter

I mean, sure if it didn't have leaves it would make sense, but it does! So I'm guessing it's because it's a ghost tree and associated with dark places, where synthesis isn't very useful? That's my guess at least...
  13. Dieter

Toxic was a technique that dates back 400 years according to Koga. It isn't even till Gen III that any Pokemon learn it naturally. So out of all TMs it seems the most like a learned technique rather than a move, so I think the wide distribution makes sense? Not to mention that (parts of) an...
  14. Dieter

Despite being based on a Mandrake, Oddish learns no notable sound moves, which I think is a pity. Sure, giving it Screech, Echoed Voice AND Hyper Voice might be overdoing it a little, but it could at least have one of them. I think it would be neat if it learned Screech early on, then learned...
  15. Dieter

Alolan Marowak can't learn shadow claw... but it has claws? And is a ghost type? Granted it has Shadow Bone but that is not accessible till very late game...
  16. Dieter

You'd kinda expect Banette to have Acupressure, I mean, thematically it makes sense. Pin Missile would as well. I mean, several of its Dex entries state it creates strong curses by sticking pins into its own body, but the only move that reflects this is Curse (and Hex I guess)