• ME proves that Cyrus and Cynthia are idiots. Watch here as Cynthia blocks him from entering a cave in retaliation.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Search results

1. canisaries

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

for me it differs between fics, but inside fics i try to keep it consistent. for example i think seiren had 3000-4000 words per chapter and i did want to split one that went over 8000 but couldn't because of pacing. it was also the finale so i figured it was justifiable. i did consider anything...
  2. canisaries

i dont even need to be drunk to write indulgent
  3. canisaries

they work just fine for me. hint: this site is good for checking this stuff
  4. canisaries

i never pay attention to views with so many factors making them unreliable
  5. canisaries

force yourself to write some amount of words (like 50) in the first unfinished part you have before you write what you want to write. work before play.
  6. canisaries

original universe ideas are very rare for me, still havent really gotten any that i could have written into an actual story, but some of my stories have started to wander away from pokemon enough for the premise to be converted original. i kind of want to for example, make a version of hunter...
  7. canisaries

well there are plenty of examples where villains get progressively more desperate or unstable, and writing a smart villain entails that they learn from their mistakes, which i think counts as development. there's also the possibility of developing towards redemption but something stops that...
  8. canisaries

Well, I haven't read as many stories as I probably should have being a writer, but there's a bunch of tropes with unfortunate sexist implications one shouldn't fall into, such as A Man Is Always Eager (obvious TV Tropes warning). Implying that a man would always be willing to have sexual...
  9. canisaries

well, there's the option of having multiple main characters and introducing one of them later on, or not necessarily having a main character at all, with the story following something else instead, like an object or the spread of an idea. what remains a constant between these, though, is the...
  10. canisaries

If you write it sensibly. It's that simple.
  11. canisaries

i usually try to think of a pun (Dragony) or something vague but snappy (Hunter, Haunted; Seiren), but when those don't work, i just try to think of some object or place or character in the story and name it after that, like Mail for Welltown (there is mail that needs to be delivered to a place...
  12. canisaries

finally finished and submitted my final school project. holidays can actually begin now i hope to write and read, but most importantly have a good time because i tend to be pretty bad at that due to overstressing stuff. i've made a to do list to stay more organized and have a clearer idea of...
  13. canisaries

well, you basically have to do two things: establish everything necessary to understand the story from the middle on, and give the reader a hook. do note that i said "everything necessary" - a story that spends its start explaining as much as it possibly can about the characters and setting is...
  14. canisaries

omg the snow effect matches my avatar perfectly
  15. canisaries

go! gardevoir! use heart attack!
  16. canisaries

gardevoir really needs that chest spike from a design standpoint. it's strong red to contrast the faint green and white and sharp to contrast the other waviness. it also makes it less of a generic waifu creature.
  17. canisaries

i currently have four wips because i thought i was gonna write the newest one quickly but guess what i didnt
  18. canisaries

There are plenty of fics written during the course of the show, so something not being up to date on the canon shouldn't be surprising. Just mention it and you should be fine. As for everything already having been done... it goes for any story. As the saying goes, nothing new under the sun...
  19. canisaries

adjectives can be a pitfall imo. they shouldn't be exclusively relied on in description or used as a shortcut, much like adverbs. giving concrete details that support and imply a larger, abstract concept is better than saying the word for the concept itself - for example, showing that a monster...
  20. canisaries

@namohysip Wasn't Hands of Creation partially RP based? If so, got any pointers? Halloween isn't really celebrated here outside some themed parties and the odd decoration. However, we have something pretty similar to trick-or-treating on Palm Sunday called virvonta where kids dress up as...