• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Search results

1. Esserise

Generation IV Remake Speculation

I mean, the sparkles have been working just fine for me, so I honestly cannot say this is something I've experienced to be a problem. They gleam pretty obviously, and I go get them. Not once have I ever felt lost when going to pick one up. Okay but that's more of a Nintendo issue. It should be...
  2. Esserise

Does anyone else miss sprites?

Crystal and HGSS were the two heydays of sprites for me Gen 1's are legendarily bad, I genuinely think Gen 3's tend to look really wonky and awkward, and Gen 5's aren't to my taste because of the pixelation and tweening. Gold & Silver both have a good mix, but Crystal easily one-ups them by...
  3. Esserise

Is breeding Canon

So like, obviously it is, since eggs have been part of like, plots and stuff But sometimes I do wonder if it would maybe make more sense from a worldbuilding perspective to treat breeding and eggs as nothing more than a game mechanic, with Pokémon actually reproducing in ways that make sense...
  4. Esserise

Stunfisk and Galarian Stunfisk - does the name matters?

Personally I think Runerigus is a pretty radical departure from Cofagrigus's design, so to me it feels very appropriate to reclassify it as a new species strictly on those grounds, but I wonder if it is more formally a lore thing. Yamask is, at its core, a wandering soul. Once, it was a living...
  5. Esserise

Favorite Third/Enhanced Version?

Yeah I waffled on what criteria was best as well. I always do when thinking about Pokémon games, because for instance, pretty much all of the introductory pairs make some huge, critical advancements for the series, so sometimes I feel like their relative shortcomings don't matter as much in...
  6. Esserise

Also, try walking into a bear trap (but don't actually). You'll still be "stunned," I guarantee, just not in the electrical sense.
  7. Esserise

I think it's pretty clearly a deliberate choice to keep the name the same, because it emphasizes that this is still the same species, just in a different form. If we compare it to a real-life example such as Darwin's finches, then the name "Stunfisk" or "Sandshrew" is I think meant to be...
  8. Esserise

Least Favorite Third/Enhanced Version

Ah, I hadn't thought of the bolded parts. That would be a good improvement as well. I mean, I think in general it's consensus that the Ultra Megalopolis part of the game is perhaps where it needs the most work. It's a cool concept, but in practice, it's nothing more than a snazzy background for...
  9. Esserise

Does anyone else miss sprites?

It's sad, but Typhlosion just was not meant to ever exist in 3D Dynamic pose or no, constantly igniting or no, with the example above, you still have the fact that it's a 3D model trying to simulate a living creature while emitting a line of cartoonish, 2D flames, which stands in contrast...
  10. Esserise

Do you care what Poké Balls you catch Pokémon with?

I did this once before too, and while it wreaked havoc on my need for consistency, I did at least like how it avoided the old in-universe logic headscratcher of "If all my Balls are the same model, how does my Trainer know they're pulling out the right one?"
  11. Esserise

Favorite Third/Enhanced Version?

Me I'd say it's a fair bit more than a slight improvement. Comparing the Battle Zone between the originals and Platinum is just... man, they redid the whole tileset just to give it its own unique volcanic atmosphere, where in the originals it was just more of the same brown/seafoam green paste...
  12. Esserise

Has joy-con drift affected your experience of SwSh and LGPE at all?

I see. Well then, similar to your theory, maybe I haven't had the problem because I got my Switch in late 2018? Maybe it was "resolved" on a production level by then. Plus I've bought a new set of Joy-Cons since then (just to have a different look).
  13. Esserise

Has joy-con drift affected your experience of SwSh and LGPE at all?

I don't think I actually know what joy-con drift is so I guess it hasn't
  14. Esserise

Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

Yeah, I get you. Another thing worth considering in this general discourse is that Masuda isn't directing the main series games anymore. Yes, he's still credited as a producer, but I suspect it's Ohmori coming up with the titles now, and I would think it's more likely that he would approach it...
  15. Esserise

Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

In what universe was this ever the case? People were talking stuff like Plus/Minus, King/Queen, and Crown/Sceptre. Not Nebula/Galaxy. And it'd be a weird assumption to make given how ever since they started doing more "thematic" titles with Gen 5, there hasn't been a relationship from one...
  16. Esserise

American Presidential Election Thread, 2020 Edition

The other day I was thinking about how (morbidly) funny it is that Pokémon's version of America has a dusty old white politician (Drayden) adopting a young black girl and using his position to elevate her voice because he believes she represents the future. But then I thought, "Oh god, Drayden...
  17. Esserise

Pokémon with specific roles in the single player game

I think in general (especially in Gen 4+), this is less a case of designing one particular Pokémon to serve a specific role in the single-player campaign, and more just an illustration of their overall game design philosophy: They believe that you should be able to access something that is...
  18. Esserise

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Yeah but ultimately, no game has even had an omnipresent in-game clock since Gen 5 and they've operated literally just fine without it. It's a minuscule feature of minuscule impact. So look around? Search every area more? Explore the world some. I'm also faaaaairly sure that the way they work...
  19. Esserise

American Presidential Election Thread, 2020 Edition

For that reason, I think it would probably be more precise to evaluate it by city rather than the region as a whole. Like maybe Twinleaf and Oreburgh are full of Trump supporters, but Jubilife and Sunyshore are more liberal. This idea prompt, fuckin lol
  20. Esserise

Spoilers Latest Wild Area Max Raids

New Max Raid event focusing on the Pikachu family. Pichu, Pikachu (Shiny boosted), Raichu, and Alolan Raichu (edit: aww, and Mimikyu) are spawning. Lasts until August 9.