• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Search results

1. Beth Pavell

Trope of the Month July: Accents and Dialects

Accent and dialect - often a contentious subject in fiction. There's a tension between writing prose that is easy to comprehend, and writing evocative and/or authentic prose. But first, some terminology. Accent refers to how language is pronounced, whereas dialect refers to the words, phrases...
  2. Beth Pavell

Trope of the Month May: Tournament Arcs

Ah, the tournament. One plot trope anyone who reads Pokémon fanfiction wouldn't be surprised to see. We've had a recent thread talking about this trope, but I felt it could do with dedicated focus this month. I suspect the tournament arc is more often thought about than written. It's the...
  3. Beth Pavell

COMPLETE: Trainers of Fanfiction 2020

The Writers Workshop A community event focused around your characters! Welcome to the May 2020 edition of Trainers of Fanfiction (And the third consecutive year we've run this event)! For those of you unaware of what this is, Trainers of Fanfiction is a community event that focuses on the...
  4. Beth Pavell

EVENT: Trainers of Fanfiction Submission Thread

The Writers Workshop A community event focused around your characters! Welcome! It's that time of year again! What it is Trainers of Fanfiction will take characters from across the Writers Workshop and focus on them in mini interviews. If you're familiar with Humans of New York, that is the...
  5. Beth Pavell

Trope of the Month March: The Prophecy

Following on from our discussion in February, this month we're looking at prophecies! Prophecies seem to go hand-in-hand with Chosen Ones, and as a plot device they have an ancient pedigree indeed. In the modern day they can be found in Harry Potter, A Song of Ice and Fire, His Dark Materials...
  6. Beth Pavell

Trope of the Month February: The Chosen One

This month we're looking at a trope that will no doubt be familiar to pretty much everyone: the chosen one. Typically a character marked out by the fates or otherwise elevated above and beyond their peers, chosen ones seem to be so familiar that there's almost no point in discussing them, right...
  7. Beth Pavell

BP's Photographia

In Memoriam To Another Photographer Father to None, Uncle to All Unforgotten With a new year I've decided to learn a new skill: and after one too many failed attempts at taking photos of herons with a bad camera phone, I decided it was going to be photography. I've never really taken an...
  8. Beth Pavell

Trope of the Month January: Beginnings

For the first Trope of the Month, it seems only appropriate that we begin with beginnings! The start of a story is a big topic in itself, with any number of associated tropes, clichés, and patterns. In Pokémon fanfiction, probably the most well-known beginning cliché is the main character...
  9. Beth Pavell

Notice Anime Charity Giveaway! Win a poster signed by the anime cast and crew

Good evening Bulbagardeners, exciting news! The cast of the Pokémon anime is doing a giveaway to encourage folks to donate to any charity of their choice for #givingtuesday. The prize is a large Pokemon poster, signed by the entire cast and some crew of Sun and Moon. "POKÉMON FAM: Our 24 hour...
  10. Beth Pavell

Obsolete: Bulbagarden Reviewing Secret Santa 2019

December is soon upon us, and that means a month of holiday celebrations! This year, we'd like to celebrate our community's writers by reprising last year's (Happily successful) review exchange. In the spirit of giving, those who participate will both give and receive reviews and other creative...
  11. Beth Pavell

EVERYONE: All For Our Emperor [Warhammer 40K, One shot]

The following is a very short piece of fanfic I found whilst digging around in an old memory stick. Apparently it dates to 2014, so it must be from my GMing days while running Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay. So far as I remember it's a scene I mostly wanted to get out of my head, so I present it...
  12. Beth Pavell

TEEN: Hear That Which I Desire [Legend of Zelda One shot]

Here's my entry for the Summer One Shot competition - something of an unusual one by my standards, a Legend of Zelda short. Rated TEEN for infrequent depictions of blood injury and violent death. Hear That Which I Desire The injured bulblin screamed as Kestan drove his spear into its belly...
  13. Beth Pavell

COMPLETE: Trainers of Fanfiction May 2019

The Writers Workshop A community event focused around your characters! Welcome to the May 2019 edition of Trainers of Fanfiction! For those of you unaware of what this is, Trainers of Fanfiction is a community event that focuses on the characters created by our talented Writers Workshop...
  14. Beth Pavell

EVENT: Trainers of Fanfiction Submission thread

The Writers Workshop A community event focused around your characters! Welcome! It's back again! What it is Trainers of Fanfiction will take characters from across the Writers Workshop and focus on them in mini interviews. If you're familiar with Humans of New York, that is the general style...
  15. Beth Pavell

Notice So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish

Today, we say farewell to one of our longest-serving staff members, and a Workshop fixture for as long as most of us can remember. Today, @AetherX finally steps down as a moderator of the Writers Workshop. Some users may recall his epic (And so nearly finished!) Unpredictable, or his mega...
  16. Beth Pavell

Notice The Cat Returns

And today, we say welcome, to the newest member of the moderating team, someone who's made a big impact in their limited time here. For a cat, they're pretty altruistic: unrepentantAuthor! unrepentantAuthor's done a lot for the community in the short time since their return, helping to judge...
  17. Beth Pavell

The Green Year (06/04) 'Day One'

Some users may remember last year I wrote a nature blog, from May Day to May Day, following my observations of the natural world each day. I had planned to write about growing and foraging instead this year, but one thing led to another and the idea died on the vine, as it were. But I'm not...
  18. Beth Pavell

WORLDBUILDING: Holidays and Festivals

With the holiday season upon is, this month we turn our attention to an often neglected aspect of worldbuilding: holidays! Like so many worldbuilding topics, this could potentially be huge, but today we’re going to take a quick but hopefully useful look at holidays and how they can be used in...
  19. Beth Pavell

DISCUSSION: The Ethics of Pokémon Battles

So this is a topic that came up in the #writing channel of Bulbagarden's Discord - is battling pokémon really ethical? It's a relatively common theme among dramatic or dark fanfiction, that pokémon battling is humans forcing pokémon into what amounts to a blood sport. A common comment within...
  20. Beth Pavell

Word of the Week - The Grand Round-Up

Is’t possible? And how time flies. It’s been six months since we started featuring Word of the Week in our weekly newsletters, and to mark the occasion, we’ve decided to collate all these multifarious entries into one resource. In this thread you’ll find all the words featured each week...