• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Search results

1. Misfit Angel

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

If they reboot stuff to get rid of the bad and problematic parts, I'm not too beaten up by it. My problem with reboots or continuations of something long dead is when they get rid of the soul and charm of the original but keep the bad -- or even worse, add the bad. I'm looking at you, Picard...
  2. Misfit Angel

For me, 5k to 6k is my comfort zone, and I start to get antsy if my chapters push more than 7.5k. Special chapters such as climaxes or goofy non-canon events are allowed to go over my limit of 7.5k. It always sucks going over 7.5k and splitting things, then realizing there's not enough to make...
  3. Misfit Angel

Right now I'm juggling two stories and actively outlining ideas for three more. I'd love to work on them all at the same time, but it's just not feasible. As for how I chose which ones I'm working on, the first one is one that features characters that I've loved and cherished for over a decade...
  4. Misfit Angel

Well, my character is likely ditching her wheelchair entirely in a couple chapters, so I'm not sure what it'd serve to learn about it other than general knowledge. This dumb brain of mine is already bursting at the seams with info I don't need that I can't fit the good stuff in anymore :(
  5. Misfit Angel

While it's a topic I'm flirting with in my latest project, it's something I know next to nothing about, so I actually doubt I could have a decent conversation about it.
  6. Misfit Angel

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Sometimes you just can't push through the next step of the story, but there's no shame in working on the later stuff. You'll have to get to that point eventually, may as well save yourself some work in the future. Just don't be me and avoid...
  7. Misfit Angel

I get that. I only seem to be able to write late at night (past 11 PM or midnight) and considering I've been going to bed at 9 PM lately... Well, that's a big part of why I haven't written anything (worth sharing) in the past month.
  8. Misfit Angel

At it's core, not really. Both genders are equally capable of asking the same tough questions, though one may be a little bit more hesitant. Now, would it be approached in the same manner? Probably not. I doubt two stoic guys are going to get comfortable in blankets with hot cocoa as they talk...
  9. Misfit Angel

What do you mean firebombing a nursery full of kobold children is a hate crime?
  10. Misfit Angel

This makes me think of my mother, who always says "I don't see a price on it so it must be free" every. fucking. time. No one has done more to put me off of shopping than her.
  11. Misfit Angel

I've actually forgotten the finer details of that day. I was hoping for something uneventful, evidently that's what I got. So, no complaints here! I also got this badass goth fairy statue, too bad the face looks like something out of a low budget PS2 game.
  12. Misfit Angel

What I did when I started to notice I was doing that was I wrote a few chapters where there was only one character. This forced me to think in a different manner, allowing me to construct paragraphs of description more and more, which helped to break the habit of using dialogue as a crutch...
  13. Misfit Angel

Here's some head canon here: Geordie never died when getting blasted, because every other interstellar power knew how easy it was to brainwash him to do bad things to the crew/ship and simply stunned him. Admittedly I can only remember the Romulans doing that, head canon is meant to be shaky and...
  14. Misfit Angel

I'm probably not doing anything for Christmas. I dunno why, but I'm just not feeling it this year, and will actively resist my family's attempts to inject me with their filthy merriment.
  15. Misfit Angel

I spent mine sick as a dog. At least it got me out of being around my racist extended family. That's what I'm truly thankful for this season.
  16. Misfit Angel

That's fanfiction in a nutshell unfortunately. Entertainment as a whole, even. There's very rarely an original idea out there anymore; most of it is original spins on old ideas. Nothing wrong with writing your own take on a certain subject, theme or idea.
  17. Misfit Angel

You only spent ten minutes on this problem before you gave up? Put more thought into it. Spend more time. If you truly wish to succeed as a writer, or at least improve within the hobby, you have to learn to figure out these simple problems yourself, rather than give up and ask people to do the...
  18. Misfit Angel

You could go with the rule that light magic is always true and pure, but its users can twist it in the form of zealotry and inquisition. I don't see that happen very often.
  19. Misfit Angel

Manually as god intended I don't crosspost anymore, but when I used to, I used to maintain three different documents per chapter: Bulbagarden's version which was the "purest" and had all of the bbcode tags intact, a censored version for places like Serebii which don't allow icky no good swear...
  20. Misfit Angel

Well, I did have to edit it a bit to take out some extremely homophobic language, so it comes as no surprise :P