• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Search results

1. Life

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

hello ambyssin! j remembered i posted a story here lol... guess i got too inspired by the awards. which also reminds me i need to post reviews still. can you tell i struggle with time management? :f question for y'all, do you find that most of your writing is done in big chucks, or very small...
  2. Life

Might also be because they're on 2 different widgets d: I've been planning some characters out a bit more in-depth recently to get a better feel for them and have been going through the process of jotting down all their important milestones up until they die. Kinda said to have gone from the...
  3. Life

Glad to know it's fixed! I quite enjoy interviews of all sorts so I always enjoy it whenever AotM is posted. Thankfully it will! I believe there'll be an update for Pokébank beforehand but that should be it, if I remember correctly.
  4. Life

Hah. I once received a letter that had "A Special Invitation" written on the front in excruciatingly poor penmanship. Turns out it was some weird deal/sale offer (for nothing good, of course). I can try. Not sure if it'll be up to what Ark did for the last few seasons, but if you have a...
  5. Life

I work in a restaurant, so nothing fancy. For now it's only a part-time, temporary thing; certainly nothing I plan to be sticking with in another year and a half. One of the nice things about it though is that it gives me a lot of time to think while I work, and I'm able to pick up a lot of...
  6. Life

Apologies for the late response. I'm trying out trainer money in my new story and basically have it set up as an agreement between the two trainers at the beginning of a battle regarding how much should the amount be. I admittedly hadn't worked out the idea of a scam, but since betting money is...
  7. Life

Attempting to answer these partly for my own benefit rather then to just be annoying all together. d: I've always imagined that journeys are rather cheap; all you really need are the essentials, which if we use real world prices might be around 1,000-3,000 US dollars depending on how much...
  8. Life

I suppose that was a bad way to phrase it. Mr. Mime is one people tend to hate on, which is what I meant to say, which is something I've never really understood. I'm not sure how often it's used in fan fiction, though of what I have seen it's never been used as a main party member.
  9. Life

Anything that's pretty neglected in the anime or fan fiction I tend to gravitate towards. I've been wanting to write something with Mr. Mime but want a good story to use it in first, since it's one that a lot of people seem to steer away from. I also like to write about pokemon that have a hard...
  10. Life

The battles in the Sinnoh saga are worth the watch, I would say. But there was so much filler in the second half it did get a bit unbearable.
  11. Life

Perhaps there could be a pseudo-awards in-between the Summer and Winter ones where there's only fun categories? The pseudo part being that there's no judging and banners, just user voting and bragging rights as the prize. The idea does sound like a lot of fun to me.
  12. Life

Lurking and showing up randomly is a fun mix, but posting is also quite fun. ^^ On the current topic, in every situation I come up with the story/world before the characters, which is probably why my characters are never that strong. I never find much motivation for characters to be honest, but...
  13. Life

I admittedly am torn with answering here, because while on one side I agree that a story shouldn't win with only one new chapter, I also don't think it should matter in the big scheme of things, as like I said above I feel the award should go to the story that best deserves it, whether the...
  14. Life

Hmm, I'm not against the new rules, but to me it does seem like the winners already vary frequently due to a change in judges, so to enforce this sort of limit is a tad funny in my opinion, but I can see the reason, especially with other categories/ones that only receive a few nominations. That...
  15. Life

Naming chapters has been rather interesting in my latest project, since they all follow a rather strict theme. (Must start with "Un") I'm worried about not being able to continue it throughout th story, but, eh, we'll have to see how it goes.
  16. Life

I've never found much of a use for deadlines since I can't write if the motivation simply isn't there. Granted, I do open up my my projects to try and get what I can out even if I'm not in the mood, but if I had to constantly force myself to sit down just to make a deadline I think my story...
  17. Life

That's really cool! Not sure if I'll get to it since I've sort of abandoned the idea, but if I do come back to it I may just have to shoot you a message, thanks!
  18. Life

So I decided to try and bring science into the world of pokemon to help define the different pokemon-types, and I'm quickly learning why most people don't do that and/or use more fictional approaches. I'm now in the midst of researching photons and other quantum mechanic jargon and am nearly...
  19. Life

Reading is really the greatest tool you can give yourself as a writer, in my opinion of course. I've learned so many things simply from reading works on here and constantly get ideas whenever I read. For me, it's also a great motivator to read a chapter of someone's story, since I'll usually get...
  20. Life

On the topic of Mary Sues, I have to agree that I find the term heavily overused in most online communities. As Ace has said I think that the term is used so much now that it's more of a hollow insult if anything else. Frankly though, I find that as long as the character is enjoyable to read...