• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Search results

1. unrepentantAuthor

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Personally, massive global stakes are a great way to kill my interest in a story and its cast. It's too huge. I care so much more about a hero going "I've just realised I've left a vulnerable friend with someone untrustworthy" or "I was in the wrong when I made that social faux pas" than I do...
  2. unrepentantAuthor

Also I expect most folks have seen already, but we have a oneshot competition running this Summer, details and signups are here!
  3. unrepentantAuthor

Hope everyone's holding it together. I'm finding myself increasingly scattered, but I believe I'm on an upwards spiral now. Being more productive, and participating in Artfight!
  4. unrepentantAuthor

Rest up, if you ask me.
  5. unrepentantAuthor

Hi, @awsome_zman! I let my chapters cap out at no more than 6k and floor them at no less than 3k, these days. I think about 4.5k is the sweet spot.
  6. unrepentantAuthor

For me, it's the writing part I can get past, the inhibition is in writing indulgent content for myself without feeling self-conscious.
  7. unrepentantAuthor

Come on, man. Think it through. If I'm writing something indulgent while tipsy, I'm not taking it very seriously or planning it out or anything and can just write nonsense uninhibited.
  8. unrepentantAuthor

The one project I'm considering taking on is the "indulgent journeyfic written tipsy" because of how low effort it would be, haha.
  9. unrepentantAuthor

I tend to push on with my very long-running main project and disregard any other ideas for longrunners.
  10. unrepentantAuthor

@Greninjaman That question is far, far too broad for someone to easily answer in a comprehensive way. Anyway, maybe check out the cliches thread for examples of what people are tired of reading. Otherwise, just write something you want to write, man.
  11. unrepentantAuthor

Hope everyone's keeping it together in these strange times. I'm personally finding it very difficult to deal with the lack of face-to-face human interaction in my life right now, more than I expected to, in fact. At least the sun is shining brightly most days, and I hear plenty of spring...
  12. unrepentantAuthor

@BigDocFan welcome to the forum! Good luck with your writing, and I hope you'll enjoy some of the stories on offer too.
  13. unrepentantAuthor

The first two things I thought of were, 1. It's a new kind of behaviour by online trawler bots 2. It's because of people in pandemic lockdown binging fanfic
  14. unrepentantAuthor

I had a lot of fun this year! I managed to miss out on irritating pranks and a Discord server I'm on had a lot of fun with everybody changing their profile pics and nicknames to impersonate either me, @namohysip. Some other fun stuff as well, like people pretending to be their characters.
  15. unrepentantAuthor

Important announcement: I will now be making all my posts in IPA, for total clarity of pronounciation. hɛˈləʊ, ˈɛvrɪwʌn! aɪ həʊp juː ɑːr ɔːl æz ɪkˈsaɪtɪd æz aɪ æm tuː siː ðə ˈmɛni ˈwʌndəfʊl ɪmˈpruːvmənts tuː ˈaʊə kəˈmjuːnɪti təˈdeɪ. ˈmɛni θæŋks tuː ˈaʊə stɑːf tiːm fɔː səˈpɔːtɪŋ ðə ʧeɪnʤ frɒm...
  16. unrepentantAuthor

I sometimes write something besides what I ought to be working on for a while to stay limber while I process the block. It eventualyl works out and I get back to it, so long as I just keep writing.
  17. unrepentantAuthor

The coronavirus pandemic is pretty mad. I stay in the house most of my time anyway, but doing it because of some external situation makes it feel much more closed-in. Stay safe, everyone. Wash your hands. Don't hoard.
  18. unrepentantAuthor

There's a lot that I love about DX besides the general graphical and audio quality improvements! I like the quality of life features , the mechanical changes, the intimidating boss cutscenes, and so on. It's great stuff. I just beat the main story yesterday!
  19. unrepentantAuthor

I've had the weirdest couple of weeks in a very long time, but I'm still keeping up my daily writing at least. Anyone else enjoying Rescue Team DX?
  20. unrepentantAuthor

You can have them fight 3-on-1 and for it to go poorly at first, only for them to rally and cooperate more closely and turn the fight around. That's a more concise way to do it.