• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Search results

1. Fulcrum

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

A combination of factors brought me back to writing this past week. In rough order of significance: 1) Finishing work for the year (I have a month plus summer break) 2) Finally pulling the trigger on SwSh after a month or so of uncertainty 3) Friends bugging me with plot bunnies
  2. Fulcrum

Rotom Dex did show up in SM as well, though, so it is game canon also.
  3. Fulcrum

But if it's a regular trainerfic you have to address questions like why people are allowed to own Pokemon when they're not only sentient but also able to express themselves in a clear and intelligible way. Trust me (and Canis) on this one - it gets very messy very fast.
  4. Fulcrum

There exists somewhere an utterly atrocious fic from that weird period at around age 13 when I had uh. No idea how anything worked. Characters randomly had Japanese names for no reason - and like, wrong-gender ones. Like the main character's mum was named Sasuke or something???? The story was...
  5. Fulcrum

Ah....homework. One thing I genuinely do not and will never miss about high school. Of course, I'm now the one giving the homework. Except most of the time I can't be bothered setting extra work, so it just turns into 'finish the crap we started in class, you lazy bums.'
  6. Fulcrum

I cannot believe they did that tbh. Kudos to them for taking it in stride rather than trying to shut jacksfilms down or something - after all the trash he talked about the movie, I could totally have seen that happening. They won goodwill and free publicity for it, though, so it was a smart...
  7. Fulcrum

I want to finish my own Chapter 8 too, actually. Mine's a much-needed rollicking battle sequence, though, because if my fic needs anything it's a swift kick up the pants and some explosions.
  8. Fulcrum

Yikes. Completely spontaneously, the day after I return to the forum, I get an alert telling me I've received a new review on a oneshot I posted...ooh, eight years ago now? How do people keep finding it??? The reviews kept trickling in at about one a month for like six years, but they finally...
  9. Fulcrum

Someone talked trash on Pokemon Heroes and it summoned me from the depths of my pit.... that movie remains the best of the era.
  10. Fulcrum

FMA03 was really good and it still holds a special place in my heart, but it really went off the rails towards the end (because there was no ending to speak of) and I ultimately enjoyed Brotherhood a lot more. It was a much tighter show with the benefit of hindsight and a completed source material.
  11. Fulcrum

I finished collecting those bumper volumes earlier this year, they're a great set.
  12. Fulcrum

I hate FPS games in general, but man Bioshock is an amazing series. I got to play Infinite for the first time a month or two ago, and it was a right treat. But no, it wasn't that Elizabeth. She had dark hair, but that was where the similarities ended. A lot taller, round face, ambiguously...
  13. Fulcrum

I had a dream last night which I actually remembered for once. It's very rare that that happens, maybe once a month or less. Unfortunately it wasn't a very exciting dream (what I can remember of it), but it featured a very pretty girl named Elizabeth. So... a portent? An omen? Complete nonsense...
  14. Fulcrum

I never skipped a day of school. I skipped probably half my days of university. It's amazing how quickly human beings can renege on their core principles.
  15. Fulcrum

Hmm, I think that might've been on the list actually. I'll have a closer look next time I'm in. Don't have to lock in a decision for a while yet, unless I want to start the novel study in the first week of class...
  16. Fulcrum

Oh man, I did the Wind Singer too! Good memories! I actually got to pick out texts for my classes this year today. So far it's looking like Holes and A Knight's Tale for the younger class, and Animal Farm and The Truman Show for the older kids.
  17. Fulcrum

Oh god, that amount of reading should be illegal. And I'm an English teacher. I think the most I had to do in a week was 100 or so pages.
  18. Fulcrum

Yeah, 03 had some problems. I still like it, but Brotherhood is a fair bit better - and the manga is better still. I have both sitting on my shelf atm and I regularly come back to them.
  19. Fulcrum

I would have thought you'd at least wear a top...
  20. Fulcrum

Not quite. I'm specifically talking about starting after the action, post res if you will (the prologue of Star Performer is the example I normally use). Starting in medias res is one strategy, but it's not one I like unless I'm writing an action-oriented story and want to start as I intend to...