• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Search results

1. Beth Pavell

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

There's nothing elite about the #writing channel - or at least, I have no intention for it to be. As far as I'm concerned, no-one is unwelcome for being a beginner, or a more casual author, than anyone else
  2. Beth Pavell

If it's a story, a novelisation of your challenge, it can go here in the Workshop
  3. Beth Pavell

Rewatching Goodness Gracious Me - I'd forgotten how funny the "Going for an English" skit is
  4. Beth Pavell

If I'm approaching about 50% above the average, I ask myself whether I'm really writing two chapters under one title
  5. Beth Pavell

Rather than try to just make an ancient version of a modern pokémon region, I would treat the worldbuilding constraints as an opportunity. In a world where you can't conveniently carry a pokémon in your pocket all the time, some pokémon are going to be rarer and more prestigious because it takes...
  6. Beth Pavell

I can't say I'm especially good at juggling. I tend to reserve my long writing times to my longest and main story, with side projects getting those times when I can't sit down to a proper writing session for whatever reason. If I'm being honest, it's saner not to juggle unless the side projects...
  7. Beth Pavell

Indeed, there's a lot of reasons why someone might not be online. Last time I was offline for more than a few hours it was because I was shouting at my internet service provider
  8. Beth Pavell

Well, there's the #writing channel on the Bulbagarden Discord
  9. Beth Pavell

Don't worry about whether you're good enough to give advice or not. If you're stuck on how to give constructive criticism, then just give your honest opinion of what you think.
  10. Beth Pavell

You've come to the right place, I should think, particularly if you like Pokémon fanfic I'm pretty sure that's an anime garment - i.e: made up. I wouldn't consider it worth the effort of trying to describe as-is, so I'd probably settle for a cape worn over one shoulder (That was relatively...
  11. Beth Pavell

The 21K post mark in this thread just snuck by, it seems
  12. Beth Pavell

@kintsugi don't look at me like that, you've got more than enough to catch up on while I write the next arc ;)
  13. Beth Pavell

I'm doing a little background reading before I finalise my Trainers of Fanfiction entry. Beyond that it's taking a quasi-break from The Long Walk - I've not stopped working on it, but the beginning of a new arc seems like a good chance to let my plot ideas breathe and work out the kinks
  14. Beth Pavell

Google maps has become seriously confused on the waterways of the West Midlands. It seems to think that every waterway between Birmingham and the Worcestershire border is the River Stour, including at least two canal navigations ... another reason to consider the Ordnance Survey superior
  15. Beth Pavell

I've often wondered that myself. Either: "why are so many people viewing my story", or "why are some people repeatedly viewing my story"
  16. Beth Pavell

I didn't care much for it either. Until I ... saw the light
  17. Beth Pavell

Less is more when it comes down to writing this in prose fiction. You're likely going to have to be showing the emotional bonds there more than telling that it exists through what are essentially adapted game mechanics. I would be wary of diluting the emotional core of your story
  18. Beth Pavell

Essentially, that. Discipline yourself to push through the parts you're trying to avoid. Or better still, learn to enjoy the challenge of it
  19. Beth Pavell

I'd prefer to ignore it, but circumstances dictate I have to at least keep an eye on it. In other news, the library trip turned out to be a bust. An Introduction to Buddhist Meditation turned out to be a random farrago of theology and history, at best tangentially linked to meditation, peppered...
  20. Beth Pavell

Having a 3-on-1 fight gives you a chance to emphasise the teamwork, or lack thereof. At first they get in each other's way, don't properly support one another, allow her to take them on piecemeal, etc